Spatial Disorientation & Vertigo

On my instrument check ride the examiner broke me so badly when he had me close my eyes and put my chin on my chest while he did his thing to get me out of whack that I didn't get better afterwards. After recovering the airplane and getting level and on course, etc., I was feeling sick with a horrible case of the leans. Again I just wasn't getting better and minutes had gone by. So I told him so and asked if he had a fix for what he had done.

His response was two fold... First he was happy that I was so screwed up because he worked hard at it and he appeared proud. He spent a couple, maybe even up to 3 minutes to get me disoriented with very gradual changes which were nothing like my instructors had ever done. When I looked up at the gauges my world went tilt, literally. Again the power of this was like nothing instructors had ever done to me. He told me that he wanted to see me fly in this state so to just hang in there for a while. After I was ready to throw my hood into the back seats and fly home VFR he told me that he wasn't allowed to instruct while on a check ride. (He was getting a check ride at the same time. FAA examiner in the rear seats of my plane which was very stressful) He then told me that I could try what works for him which was to stare at the attitude gyro exclusively and make sure the plane is straight and level, and then making sure to not move my head or to look at anything else on the panel to close my eyes for 10 seconds or so and then open them returning focus to the attitude gyro alone. So I tried it and it was like some sort of magic trick or something. The world appeared to bend and twist suddenly with the attitude gyro coming into focus somehow and then my body was one with the attitude of the plane. It synced my gyros with the planes. Pure friggin magic! You'd have to experience it to believe it.

While sort of unrelated to your question I guess what I'm trying to say is there is a likely a level of disorientation that you have yet to experience. I can't say he took me to the limits of how the body can play tricks, but I was majorly screwed up. It can be very bad. Without doubt I could see believing the body's inputs over the gyros without it being trained out of us.

Sobering thread. Gives me yet more respect for the folks who fly all the time.
The scary/sobering part is getting from 'newly minted and bullet proof' to 'experienced and respectful of our eternal proximity to momentary incompentence'.

Or in plainer terms....

I am really struggling with how so many accidents possibly occur due to disorientation and vertigo.... I am really struggling to understand how a trained pilot can just lose control and plummet. !

A better pilot then us just prematurely unlocked the feathering system and blew up his spaceship. Threw one lever early. Anyone of us can do really retarded things while flying. We are monkeys not birds.
Seriously

Interesting and eye opening. Thank you. Glad I could spark a thoughtful discussion, and hopefully it saves the life of someone on this forum in the future.

There was a great study done maybe 10 years ago where they did a simulated (pre-glass panel) instrument failure in several different light plane simulators (or perhaps the real aircraft). I searched but can't find it - worth a read.
Here's the study from 2002 I was referencing. Give this a good read if you want to understand how challenging recovering from an instrument failure can be.
Pilot Performance following unannounced instrument failure
There were some good reviews of the study that summarized what happened here.

Back