Spark Plug Position

Every one here agrees that we rotate the plugs to a hole that is an opposite polarity when they are removed for cleaning, They say it evens the wear.

Why would we want to even out the wear?

IOWs you just do it with out knowing why?

I know why I do it.

I was just making a recommendation to you since you seemed to have difficulty reading and comprehending. If you really don't understand at this point it might just be easier to accept it as a standard practice and go with the flow. Or not whatever......your business.

Last edited:
...Like the OP, I initially thought plug trays were used to insure the same plugs were re-installed into the same positions. Doing my own maintenance I discovered they are used to simplify proper manufacturers' recommended rotations...

They also serve to ensure a fifty dollar plug doesn't roll off the bench and drop four feet onto a concrete shop floor and it makes it easier to determine just where the gummed up oily one came from when doing a close visual inspection.

But Champion wants eight two bucks and change for the red painted one that has it's decal on it. :rolleyes:

IOWs you really don't know :)

Yes Tom I do. So unless you have something to add besides a smart ass non- informative remark I'm trying to politely let you know I'm not interested in continuing this conversation with you. I provided supporting documentation for why I rotate and the faa approved data supporting rotation of plugs. So far you have asked vague and leading questions that imply you don't support rotating plugs without any references or clearly stating what you think or why.

I'm tired of you at this point. It's like having a conversation with a kid that's trying to be cute.

Yes Tom I do. So unless you have something to add besides a smart ass non- informative remark I'm trying to politely let you know I'm not interested in continuing this conversation with you. I provided supporting documentation for why I rotate and the faa approved data supporting rotation of plugs. So far you have asked vague and leading questions that imply you don't support rotating plugs without any references or clearly stating what you think or why.

I'm tired of you at this point. It's like having a conversation with a kid that's trying to be cute.

They why not answer the simple question. ?

Time for a classic face palm moment...:rolleyes:

iuJhL7WKAxtLy.jpg

Tom's just trolling for an argument, never changes. :nonod:

Why is it so difficult for some to admit they don't know some thing.

Is it so difficult to say we rotate plugs so one of the electrodes doesn't get so small as to create a glow plug.

I guess it is too simple for the knowitalls here to think of.

Why is it so difficult for some to admit they don't know some thing.

Is it so difficult to say we rotate plugs so one of the electrodes doesn't get so small as to create a glow plug.

I guess it is too simple for the knowitalls here to think of.

Maybe you don't know the polarity but the manufacturer does. Maybe the manufacturer's recommendation should be followed because it results in more uniform electrodes and better spark.

For certain you are making up the statistic which you provided that rotated plugs last 10 minutes longer than un-rotated plugs. The fact is that you don't know so you just made something up to suit your whimsy. Changing your story doesn't help your credibility on this matter.

Maybe you don't know the polarity but the manufacturer does. Maybe the manufacturer's recommendation should be followed because it results in more uniform electrodes and better spark.

For certain you are making up the statistic which you provided that rotated plugs last 10 minutes longer than un-rotated plugs. The fact is that you don't know so you just made something up to suit your whimsy. Changing your story doesn't help your credibility on this matter.

thumblers_model_b.jpg

I just toss all mine into one of those rock tumblers, add a bunch of sand, and let it run over the weekend. Stick them back into the cylinders in whatever order I please.

It cleans them quite nicely, properly adjusts the gap, and shakes the bad electrons off.

Last edited:
Back