Spare Parts on Runway

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
We do a runway and primary taxiway inspection every morning. We joke about getting a box to throw all of the parts in that we find and building our own airplane from them. Most are recognizable aircraft parts like an exhaust manifold stud complete with nut or an inspection plate. Frequently there are screws orcowl fasteners.

I had an "aircraft" owner hand me a part the other day that he had found on the runway. We tried to identify it and couldn't. It was a metric bolt through a thick square plate with only the single bolt hole in it. I thought it looked like something off of a piece of construction equipment or farm equipment, not an aircraft part and was concerned that I must have not seen it during the morning inspection. We have had both construction and hay mowing and bailing but no equipment on the runway. I thought maybe a coyote had found it and dropped it there. They do some strange things. The construction people had a problem with them pulling up the grade stakes over night.

The mystery was solved today when the person that turned it in came looking for it. He had discovered the location that it was missing from on his own "aircraft", a home built with a Subaru engine.

There is a reason for the quotation marks around "aircraft". I don't think very highly of auto-gyros.

Whats the beef against gyrocopters? Is it an aerodynamic prejudice or is there some kind of stereotype gyro pilot?

Back