Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Domenick

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Domenick
On this day in history, July 5, 1937, SPAM is introduced by Hormel Foods
To date, over 9 BILLION cans sold, and still going strong.

SLT sandwiches were a common staple when growing up.

Spam, eggs, and toast wasn’t uncommon growing up, same with spam, cheese, and mustard sandwich.

Now, after returning from living in Japan for almost a decade, I also like Spam and Goya (bitter melon), or spam musubi (spam and rice in a seaweed wrap).

I rarely eat it because of the sodium content, but I do like it. I like it’s history as it helped to provide food for a lot of people during hard times, esp WWII.

Meat should never come in a can or jar.
Maybe calling it meat is a stretch though.

Makes for a good staple when flying to Alaska. In my days in the military I enjoyed spam on a regular basis.

I used to like it when I was a kid. That Underwood Deviled Ham was pretty bomb too - but it's a little hard to apply to lettuce halves.

SPAM is for SPiced hAM..I used to fry it up and make a sandwich with lettuce tomato and mayo...washed it down with Balihai and a fruitcake for dessert :)

I like Spam. Fried Spam and eggs is a cabin staple. A can rides in my survival gear as emergency rations. Musabi is a go-to for beach days in Hawaii. I bought a can yesterday.

My earliest years, we did not have electricity or ice, and that limited meat storage.
Armour Star Corned Beef, canned in Argentina, Hormel Spam and pound cans of Alaska pink Salmon were bought by the case for stable storage.
Corned beef hash was a staple for both breakfast, and dinner'
Spam and egges for breakfast, baked Spam and various vegetables for dinner, plus fried Spam sandwiches for school lunches. The salmon generally became salads, and went to school the next day in sandwiches.

The arrival of the electric wires and refrigeration did not change our love for those canned meats, but fresh meats were much enjoyed

Chicken arrived alive, and remained that way until needed, kept fresh with a pan of water, and some corn. That remained standard until we moved to the city.

Just last week, we had fried Spam and eggs for breakfast, and the leftover Spam made two Spam and Swiss cheese sandwiches for a trip.

Kinda like sausage, maybe best to not see what goes in or how it’s made.

I don’t have spam all that often, usually it’s mixed into a scrambled eggs dish. One needs to know how to make filling food at low cost, plus as posted unopened it stores well.

I’ll fry it up and add it to mac&cheese or have it as a breakfast side if I forget to take scrapple, pork roll, or bacon out of the freezer.

Meat should never come in a can or jar.
Maybe calling it meat is a stretch though.
Prior to 1948 we had no electricity on the farm.
Fresh chicken ,canned meat or cured meat was what we had .
Spam was a treat. :)

Fried SPAM and handmade yellow corn tortillas make great tacos. I do cheat on the tortillas as I use a press.

SPAM is almost a delicacy in Hawaii.

Most of the Pacific.

SPAM, eggs and rice is a great breakfast.

And SPAM Musabi (rice with a slice of SPAM held together with a strip of Nori) is a great snack.

I love it.

But I have to hide it or my kids will scarf it all up.

Good news, it's easy to hide cans of SPAM.

What a coincidence.

I had a Spam and egg on toast sandwich last night. Didn't realize it was a commemorative occasion.

My family, specifically my teenage sons, love SPAM. We buy it by the case. I learned to fly in Austin MN, and downwind for 36 (now 35) goes almost over the Hormel plant where SPAM is made. You can smell it from the air or the road driving by, depending on the wind. The SPAM museum in downtown Austin is also a surprisingly good little free museum.

anyone try the SPAM Lite?

omg - it's really bad.

I enjoy SPAM, but not that Lite garbage.

If you make your own, it won't be 86 years old.

Pork meat loaf. Looks a lot like SPAM.
anyone try the SPAM Lite? omg - it's really bad. I enjoy SPAM, but not that Lite garbage.
I've had a can of SPAM Lite in the cupboard for a bit. My wife bought it. Now I'm hesitant to try it.

Back