spam spam spam spam

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
is anyone else here with yahoo getting KILLED on spam lately? I have been getting 100+ spam emails a day...

I'm getting them in German now, on multiple domains and addresses. I haven't bothered to check the server log for invalid addresses yet.

Not on yahoo they spam filter is cathcing it. But my cellphone has been getting spammed for two weeks now and that has got me mad.

well, it is all going to the "spam" folder but it's still a lot. plus every time I log in I can see that there are 100 new emails in it - drives me crazy.

There's been a marked surge in spam lately due to some new huge botnets. Thank all of your neighbors running Windows and agreeing to install one more vital plug in.

The penny stock pump and dump spammers are behind it. It would be nice if the SEC actually hung a few out to dry.

It would be nice if a few could do what they'd like to spammers. They wouldn't dry for a long time.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
is anyone else here with yahoo getting KILLED on spam lately? I have been getting 100+ spam emails a day...
Been kinda quiet actually.

About 1 message per week slips into my Inbox. I filter thousands. A combination of SpamAssassin with Spamhaus and SpamCop with a few custom rules has played out very nicely.

Last edited:
Postini reports something like an 85% increase in spam lately. As Mike notes, it's driven by the botnets. And a lot of the spammers are using new techniques to bypass spam filters.

Like Jesse, I have a battery of SPAM blockers. They protect my sanity.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The most hated person in the Spin Zone (not including SkyHOG@) .

woodstock said:

weed out your E-mail address book then ask your ISP to change your e-mail address. and then e-mail all your friends in your newer cleaner address book about the change.

Thank God for my SuperNerds,
maybe one per week in email,
and I don't even look in bulk mail.

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...
Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...
Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
Wife: Have you got anything without spam?
Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.
Wife: I don't want ANY spam!
Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?
Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!
Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...

(From Monty Python's Flying Circus)

NC19143 said:
weed out your E-mail address book then ask your ISP to change your e-mail address. and then e-mail all your friends in your newer cleaner address book about the change.
That doesn't work for very long. Your new address will eventally get out.

If you have an not obscure address, like "tom999" they'll eventually find you with a dictionary attack, besides that you'll have friends who forward mail to you among all of their friends telling them what your address is. You're only as safe as the dumbest one of those.

Beware Visa message! Re: spam spam spam spam

Just got this one which could be a baddie:

Dear Customer,

This is a note from Verified by Visa Support preventing unauthorized use of your credit card.
Inconsistency found during your Visa card transactions on 11/05/06 and 11/06/06. (TRS-20067720)
OBJECT -- QUESTIONABLE TELEPHONE NUMBER
Verified by Visa Support has failed to connect to you using the new telephone number provided.
Attached to this message is your card report to verify transaction times and details.
Please disregard this message if you have entered your telephone number incorrectly during these
transactions. If you suspect unauthorized use of your credit card please report this to the Customer
Service immediately.

Regards,
Verified by Visa Support
Attached was RS-20067720.exe which I'm sure would happily install a bot if I would be so kind as to run Windows and click on it.

mikea said:
That doesn't work for very long. Your new address will eventally get out.

If you have an not obscure address, like "tom999" they'll eventually find you with a dictionary attack, besides that you'll have friends who forward mail to you among all of their friends telling them what your address is. You're only as safe as the dumbest one of those.

And this is why I stress to people that, instead of forwarding something (and gosh help you if you are one of those who fall for those "Send to X people you know" type emails)--just cut and paste the revelant bit: the joke, the photo, the inspirational prose. That way all the old message headers (containing email addresses and sometimes full names!) from the past five billion people who forwarded the same message are not attached.

I get a new one in my Inbox once in a while, but every once in a while I check the Spam cesspool to see how many get caught, and oy vey!

Some of the subject lines can be amusing. (rolling eyes.)

terry

terzap said:
And this is why I stress to people that, instead of forwarding something (and gosh help you if you are one of those who fall for those "Send to X people you know" type emails)--just cut and paste the revelant bit: the joke, the photo, the inspirational prose. That way all the old message headers (containing email addresses and sometimes full names!) from the past five billion people who forwarded the same message are not attached.

I get a new one in my Inbox once in a while, but every once in a while I check the Spam cesspool to see how many get caught, and oy vey!

Some of the subject lines can be amusing. (rolling eyes.)

terry

A better thing is to tell the inlaws the magic of the BCC:

I told mine to not forward stuff to me. I'm such a grump.

"You mean Bill Gates is NOT going to send $1 for each forward?"

Re: Beware Visa message! Re: spam spam spam spam

mikea said:
Just got this one which could be a baddie:

Attached was RS-20067720.exe which I'm sure would happily install a bot if I would be so kind as to run Windows and click on it.
The easiest thing in the world to do to check these emails is just put your cursor over the link (usually it's a link to the "credit union"). Down at the bottom of the screen it will show the REAL url the link is going to (not just the fake title for the link in the message). Doesn't take much to figure out that when the url in the email reads www.bigcreditunion.com and the link at the bottom is www.hackerworld.org then perhaps something is amiss! :eek:

Re: Beware Visa message! Re: spam spam spam spam

etsisk said:
The easiest thing in the world to do to check these emails is just put your cursor over the link (usually it's a link to the "credit union"). Down at the bottom of the screen it will show the REAL url the link is going to (not just the fake title for the link in the message). Doesn't take much to figure out that when the url in the email reads www.bigcreditunion.com and the link at the bottom is www.hackerworld.org then perhaps something is amiss! :eek:
This one didn't have a link. They probably get more phishes clicking on the attachment by having less information in the message.

I happened to have placed an order online yesterday where I created a new account. I might have gone for this except it was the wrong email adddress and I used a Mastercard, not a Visa and THUNDERBIRD MAKES ATTACHMENT FILETYPES OBVIOUS and doesn't open them and Macs don't grok Windows .exe files.

I ratcheted the spam filters back up - turned on a couple of "blacklist-based" filters. The filters took out nearly 300 attempts in the last 24 hours to send spam to the accounts on my servers. And approximately 30 spam emails still made it through, despite the filtering. At least 30 is tolerable.

Of the 300, about 10% are spammers repeatedly hitting the servers, attempting to get the message through (some spam-stoppers reject the first attempt and let the second through, assuming it's a legit message).

Here is the spam report from a server I manage. 82.4% of the incoming e-mail is spam. This report is based on the last seven days.
spam122106.jpg

I'm afraid that my report is nothing compared to Jason (FlyNE) and the amount of traffic he handles.

Last edited:

If you would just BUY those penny stocks the Russians would leave you alone.

One was arrested in New York yesterday. Because not enough of us would buy the stocks when he told us to in spam, he used stolen acccount information to buy huge volumes of the stock on random victim's brokerage accounts. Then when other financial geniuses see the unusual volume and the stock price going up they buy in, too. I guess it's not that hard to find greater fools.

Last edited:
If you would just BUY those penny stocks the Russians would leave you alone.

One was arrested in New York yesterday. Because not enough of us would buy the stocks when he told us to in spam, he used stolen acccount information to buy huge volumes of the stock on random victim's brokerage accounts. Then when other financial geniuses see the unusual volume and the stock price going up they buy in, too. I guess it's not that hard to find greater fools.

The stock market has a real herd mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
On last week's "BONES" (FOX at 8 Tuesdays), they had a bust made of SPAM! Probably the best use I've seen lately.
As to the email spam, I've got one of those PILOTSOFAMERICA dot COM addresses, and have had since MAY, and not one dribble of spam! I even subscribe to a couple of email news lists. I do believe my old email address gets about 100 a day, mostly spawned using variants of my base email name.
Whatever PoA mail is doing, it's doing it well!

Funny you should mention that, John. As the admin for PoA, I review all the catchall email that we get. We have been getting more and more failed delivery messages of late...meaning that emails supposedly coming from us are not getting through.

Except they're not really coming from us. They're from spammers using our domain name as their "from" address.

Its really frustrating knowing that people are getting spam that looks like its from us when it isn't, and there's not a darn thing we can do about it. :(

The ones that crack me up (if this can at all be funny) are those with the awkward attempts at the English language -- like, "Please to read grand message from Fifth Third Bank for your updating," or something like that.

Reminds me of Alan Arkin in The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming, as the officer of the Soviet sub stranded on the New England coast, teaching his sailors to say, "Emergency! Everybody to get from street!"

-- Pilawt

Who needs Yahoo mail when Charter is now easily allowing spam through?

It gets worse... during the day, I keep up with email through Charter's web mail, using my laptop in the car. The air card has only about 50-80k speed most of the time and will go higher if I have a good signal. But, Charter has seen fit to now force me to look at advertising on the web mail pages. I guess it's not enough I pay for the service I use.

Needless to say, I plan to burn up a lot of cell time yelling at them until my scream makes it to some bonehead executive's ear. This will occur shortly before I cancel my service and look elsewhere.

Back