Spaceport America keyhole

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
I heard from Dr. William Gutman, Director, Technical Division, Spaceport America, that a proposal is being considered by FAA to create "keyhole" for the VFR access to the spaceport (although possibly IFR too). Is there an existing airspace cutout somewhere already? I'd like to see what it looks like.

The spaceport is currently charted at Albuquerque sectional near 107 West and 33 North. The restricted airspace is not always active, but it is active often (in particular it went hot on the day of my checkride, so I planned the XC portion around it).

It is sometimes possible to get cleared into restricted airspace even if it's active. I've no idea about R-5111 in particular.

Well, gosh darn. As I reported on my blog, the Spaceport America is no longer an airport, and speaking at the DC-X 20th Anniversary symposium, Christine Miller, spaceport's executive director, buried the idea completely:
Anderson promises that the spaceport’s visitors center will be fun for visitors. “If you come to this spaceport, you’re going to have a good time,” she promised. “It will be fun, unlike an airport.”
Thank you, TSA! You're keeping the nation safe from the terrorizing fun.

Well, gosh darn. As I reported on my blog, the Spaceport America is no longer an airport, and speaking at the DC-X 20th Anniversary symposium, Christine Miller, spaceport's executive director, buried the idea completely:
Thank you, TSA! You're keeping the nation safe from the terrorizing fun.
Actually, Spaceport America never was an airport, as far as I know. I was talking with one of their execs last week asking if they were planning to let the well-heeled space tourists fly their Gulfstreams in (currently the field is a private facility with PPR for landing). He said no, that as a property of the state of New Mexico they were going to have everyone fly into a public airport (Albuquerque, Las Cruces or Truth or Consequences), and then get to the spaceport. Perhaps a helicopter shuttle that DOES have permission for another couple grand?

Back