Space Station Goof; Your Tax $$$ At Work

No one forgot the door, they just have not installed it yet.

Per the article you linked to:
The $19 million space commode's curtain-like door was left off intentionally pending the completion of other work on nearby equipment early next month.

Who cares if you relieve yourself in view of your other space travelers? They're pro's, they'll avert there eyes. If one stole a glance at me taking a 0-G dump I'd smile and wave.

Heck we all do it (although some people let it fill up internally more than others)

No one forgot the door, they just have not installed it yet.

Per the article you linked to:

Ah! No one told Paul Harvey! I got the info from his noon radio segment. I just googled it and there was the FOX link so I posted it. It was a funny story, but he left that part out! :nono:

Paul Harrrvey........Good Day!

Last edited:
Imagine, if you will, Gemini VII. Two guys sitting next to each other in a space smaller than the front seat of a VW bug. Nowhere to go, they just sit there.

For almost 14 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_7

For details: http://tinyurl.com/9zknvr
That it why "low bulk" foods were eaten in the early days of the program. BTW I have it from a very good source that during Apollo, when a blue bag was used, that the smells in zero G floated around the cabin in a very interesting way.

That it why "low bulk" foods were eaten in the early days of the program. BTW I have it from a very good source that during Apollo, when a blue bag was used, that the smells in zero G floated around the cabin in a very interesting way.

The best "first person" account I've read of what it's like to live in space is the book "Riding Rockets" by Mike Mullane. They still have the blue bags on the shuttle as backup (they're called "Apollo bags") and the description of how you have to use them is downright nauseating. Remember, there is no gravity... so the stuff that you want in the bag has no particular inclination to want to separate from you.

The "targeting" practice for the toilet on the shuttle is interesting, too....

Ron Wanttaja

Back