Space Shuttle in Fort Worth

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
How'd I miss THIS last week?! Didn't even hear about it til today. I would have loved to have seen this in person.

Wake turbulence from that thing must be ridiculous.

Some interesting vertical stabilizers added to the horizontal stabilizer. I bet that mass on the back causes one heck of a destabilizing effect.

Some interesting vertical stabilizers added to the horizontal stabilizer. I bet that mass on the back causes one heck of a destabilizing effect.

The taillets (sp?) give it some tail surface outside of the turbulent air behind the orbiter. Actually, I've heard (don't remember where, sorry, can't cite my source) it flies pretty much the same as a normal 747. It's not just dead weight up there, the Shuttle is basically a giant wing, too.

I saw it back in '04 at Altus AFB after a recoverat Edwards AFB. Quite the sight.

The taillets (sp?) give it some tail surface outside of the turbulent air behind the orbiter. Actually, I've heard (don't remember where, sorry, can't cite my source) it flies pretty much the same as a normal 747. It's not just dead weight up there, the Shuttle is basically a giant wing, too.
I remember reading the same thing. Let's cite each other as sources! :rofl:

I bet that thing is a handful all the way to the ramp. Imagine how top-heavy that thing would be!

I was lucky enough to be there!

NASA 912 C-17 Support Plane
3101448288_8a4031e8a9.jpg

In all her glory, NASA 911 Shuttle Carrier
3098928709_a5d11c2132.jpg

Smokey touchdown
3098928815_7b5a20fa15.jpg

I remember reading the same thing. Let's cite each other as sources! :rofl:

I like it, works for me!!

AirVenture said:
I was lucky enough to be there!

Great photos, Brett!! I've seen the SCA, and I've seen the Shuttle, but I've never seen them mated...that's gotta one hellofa sight!

Back