SPA-400 failure mode

wilkersk

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
KennyW
I believe I may have run into a "first".

A friend of mine, who is the owner and operator of an FBO had me look at the intercom on his personal airplane. It seems every time he connected his bluetooth headset to the mic jack, the volume of the "tunes" in his headset would decrease by half. Unplugged, he could listen to tunes by pairing his iPhone to his headset. As soon as the mic jack touched the plug, bluetooth audio volume would go very low.

This aircraft was using a portable PTT through a complicated arrangement of jacks and plugs, and the installer had done some non-standard wiring, such that I thought it best to just re-wire the intercom. So, rewired it and mounted new fixed PTT switches in the pilot and copilot's yokes.

Now, the fun part. The original gripe still exists. Plus, now with the intercom turned on, there's no PTT from either side. With the intercom turned off, the pilot's side works great and bluetooth audio is not attenuated. (Yes, I checked the wiring per Sigtronic's troubleshooting guide)

I rang out all the wires, and they are good. It looks to me like there's an internal failure of the intercom, which is a first for me. After installing or correcting the installation (for non-standard wiring and weird audio gripes) of probably a dozen of these panel mounted intercoms, I have never before run into one I couldn't fix by repairing, or correcting the wiring.

What makes me feel confident enough to say "its the box". Sigtronics says if the intercom fails, turn it off and the pilot should still be able to use the radio normally; which is exactly what's happening.

I hope you rewired it in accordance with the Sigtronics install manual, as different intercoms are wired quite differently.

Other than that, yes they can fail. I used to fly a 152 with a PM1000 with intermittent issues; of course every time we took it to a shop they couldn't reproduce the problem. Finally just slid it out and slid in a new one and problem solved.

What headsets are you using? Santa brought me a set of LightSpeed with BlueTooth for Christmas, there a some DIP switches to set for different configurations. I can't recall off the top of my head exactly what they are set for. The Lightspeed Users Guide describes how and what to set. I recall it was something with Bluetooth and volume. Read the headset manual.

Back