SP training in a PP airplane?

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
I inquired about sport pilot training at my local FBO which claims to offer SP training and I was told that they offer the training but that they do not have an LSA available. The CFI said I could do the training in the standard 4 seat plane, but I get the vibe that the SP is discouraged. I don't want to start the discussion of SP vs. PP which has been beaten to death. I am wondering what would the obstacles be in this case? Can you solo in a standard plane during training for a SP. I assume you would have to do your check ride in an LSA, so you would probably require added hours training on that type before hand. Is that correct?

Is this do-able? Seems like maybe they just want to offer SP or want to say they offer SP but they aren't really prepared to offer it.

Thanks.

You can do that, but you'll need a Third Class medical to do it, and once you get your Sport Pilot certificate you won't be able to fly that plane other than solo and within the Sport Pilot limits until you upgrade to Private Pilot. All things considered, I don't see this as a particularly practical idea.

I inquired about sport pilot training at my local FBO which claims to offer SP training and I was told that they offer the training but that they do not have an LSA available. The CFI said I could do the training in the standard 4 seat plane, but I get the vibe that the SP is discouraged. I don't want to start the discussion of SP vs. PP which has been beaten to death. I am wondering what would the obstacles be in this case? Can you solo in a standard plane during training for a SP. I assume you would have to do your check ride in an LSA, so you would probably require added hours training on that type before hand. Is that correct?

Is this do-able? Seems like maybe they just want to offer SP or want to say they offer SP but they aren't really prepared to offer it.

Thanks.

That is partially right. A sport pilot student can fly in a certified aircraft in training up to the point you need to get a sport pilot student certificate. There are two times that happens, 1. before you can solo, and 2. before you can take the written.

After that you must fly in an E-LSA, a S-LSA or a certified plane that qualifies in the LSA category:

• Piper J-2 and J-3
  • Aeronca Champ
  • Luscombe 8, 8A, 8B, and 8C
  • Taylorcraft BC, BCS, and BC-65
  • Ercoupe 415C and 415 CD
  • Click here to see more standard category aircraft that qualify.
One other thing to know about. If you can pass a 3rd class medical and ever want to get a PP-SEL, then make sure your sport pilot training is from a CFI or CFII and not a sport CFI. The sport CFI time will not count toward a private pilot cert. All the hours flown with a CFI can count toward private, even if you take the sport pilot checkride and get a sport pilot cert.

Last edited:
Concur with Ron Levy. If SP is what you want, I'd seek out another school who can do it the way the program was designed.

Where are you located? Perhaps one of us can suggest a school that can help you.

That is partially right. A sport pilot student can fly in a certified aircraft in training up to the point you need to get a sport pilot student certificate. There are two times that happens, 1. before you can solo, and 2. before you can take the written.
Not true. Note that there is no such thing as a "Sport Pilot Student certificate", just a Student Pilot Certificate not part of a Medical Certificate. However, with a combined Student Pilot and Medical Certificate and the appropriate endorsements as one progresses, one can do all the training, solo, and practical test for Sport Pilot in an airplane which does not qualify as a light-sport aircraft as that applies to Part 61. One could then go fly an LSA as a Sport Pilot without further ado, and with the appropriate 61.31(d)(2) endorsement, fly non-LSA airplanes within the restrictions applicable to Sport Pilots such as no night flying. I just don't know why anyone would want to do it that way.

And there is no requirement to hold any FAA pilot certificate (Student or otherwise) to take an FAA knowledge ("written") test for any primary certificate such as Sport, Rec, or Private.

Last edited:
As someone who had trained a ton of folks, take my two cents on this.

If you don't have any health problems, just get your PPL, the time diffrence isn't noticeable, you will receive a better education and be a safer pilot with the night and hood work.

You will be able to fly LSAs, and won't need to RE-up your medical if you dot want to, and just stick with LSAs. If you ever do decide to fly as a PPL just get your medical renewed and carry on.

I've never met a PPL that wished he just got his sport license, the inverse, however, is NOT true. I've know a few folks "upgrading" from LSA to PPL, they all wish they just went the PPL route from the getgo.

Not true. Note that there is no such thing as a "Sport Pilot Student certificate", just a Student Pilot Certificate not part of a Medical Certificate. However, with a combined Student Pilot and Medical Certificate and the appropriate endorsements as one progresses, one can do all the training, solo, and practical test for Sport Pilot in an airplane which does not qualify as a light-sport aircraft as that applies to Part 61. One could then go fly an LSA as a Sport Pilot without further ado, and with the appropriate 61.31(d)(2) endorsement, fly non-LSA airplanes within the restrictions applicable to Sport Pilots such as no night flying. I just don't know why anyone would want to do it that way.

And there is no requirement to hold any FAA pilot certificate (Student or otherwise) to take an FAA knowledge ("written") test for any primary certificate such as Sport, Rec, or Private.

When I took my written, the company that administered it required a copy of my student pilot certificate and my endorsement to take the test.

When I took my written, the company that administered it required a copy of my student pilot certificate and my endorsement to take the test.
The endorsement, is required. However....
Sec. 61.35

Knowledge test: Prerequisites and passing grades.

(a) An applicant for a knowledge test must have: (1) Received an endorsement, if required by this part, from an authorized instructor certifying that the applicant accomplished the appropriate ground-training or a home-study course required by this part for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the knowledge test;
(2) After July 31, 2014, for the knowledge test for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating, a graduation certificate for the airline transport pilot certification training program specified in § 61.156; and
(3) Proper identification at the time of application that contains the applicant's—
(i) Photograph;
(ii) Signature;
(iii) Date of birth, which shows:
(A) For issuance of certificates other than the ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating, the applicant meets or will meet the age requirements of this part for the certificate sought before the expiration date of the airman knowledge test report;
(B ) Prior to August 1, 2014, for issuance of an ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating under the aeronautical experience requirements of §§ 61.159 or 61.160, the applicant is at least 21 years of age at the time of the knowledge test; and (C) After July 31, 2014, for issuance of an ATP certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating obtained under the aeronautical experience requirements of §§ 61.159 or 61.160, the applicant is at least 18 years of age at the time of the knowledge test;
(iv) If the permanent mailing address is a post office box number, then the applicant must provide a current residential address.
...and that's all. If the company administering that test demanded you present a pilot certificate, they were doing that on their own, not at the FAA's behest.

Thanks everyone! You have been very helpful. My take away: It is do-able, but somewhat pointless. (to train for a SP without an LSA)

Back