Southwest orders pizza for delayed passengers

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23620842/detail.html

Mino said in an e-mail that the passengers waited two hours in Pueblo for DIA to reopen. When they were told about the wait, Mino said the passenger response was not much different from Broncos fans after a missed field goal.But then the pilot announced he was ordering pizza for everyone. Mino said the pizzas arrived in about 30 minutes thanks to Little Caesars. He said some 40 pizzas were delivered to the three Southwest Airlines planes."Flight attendants were VERY patient while distributing snacks and soft drinks, but no liquor," Mino wrote in an e-mail. Mino photographed the pilot as he personally offered pizza, slice by slice, row by row. He said, "The flight crew went out of their way to make sure spirits were high through this ordeal."

So about 13 pizzas per plane at five bucks a pop... Small investment to get this kind of positive response in return. I'd say that crew made a fine choice and Southwest should definitely recognize them for it.

Great story. Stuff like this happens all the time, especially with off schedule operations, but is rarely reported.

My favorite was a friend on a thunderstorm diversion, who, as Captain, purchased a plane load of Subway subs. Had them passed through the cockpit window by a guy standing on top of a truck with a long pole with makeshift pincers on the end (opening a door brought about all sorts of issues due to regulations, and air stairs are a thing of the past at some stations).

Nice to have something counter the negative (but admittedly newsworthy) items we often see.

It was all a plot by SW to fatten up the pax and then charge them for a 2nd seat. ;)

Oh please, Scott, that's absurd. Always with these non-sensical conspiracy theories about the airlines. That would take too long. It was so they could charge everyone carryon bag fees for all the pizza boxes! :nono::D

Oh please, Scott, that's absurd. Always with these non-sensical conspiracy theories about the airlines. That would take too long. It was so they could charge everyone carryon bag fees for all the pizza boxes! :nono::D
If it were any other airline (like yours :D), I'd agree. But SWA doesn't charge fees.

Good to see some positive news.

I have had generally good service (on a person-by-person basis) from most cariers, but what I like better about SWA is that (1) they treat their line staff with sufficient respect that it flows through to the passengers, and (2) they empower their staff to take meaningful steps to improve customer service. Many carriers have effectively tied the hands of otherwise-motivated frontline staff, precluding them from taking basic measures to help customers.

It shows.

Had a pilot order box lunches on a Midwest flight one time when the plane wasn't catered. Outstanding service.

This was a few years ago, before they were sucked up by Republic.

I've always liked SWA.

Although frankly, their choice of Little Caesar's drops them just a little in my book. Blecch!!!!!!

I've always liked SWA.

Although frankly, their choice of Little Caesar's drops them just a little in my book. Blecch!!!!!!

Beats Domino's. And they deliver.... (does Little Caesar's still have the 2-for-1 promotion?)

...and completely spent the profit for that flight. :D

Or is this being charged to the marketing department?
Wouldn't want to do that often, but sounds like they made good use of the money. Sometimes you've got to spend a little in order to retain a happy customer.

Ryan

Great story. Stuff like this happens all the time, especially with off schedule operations, but is rarely reported.
\
Aye. I have done it myself, more than once.

However it is much more important to make sure your flight crew is fed. When trying to convince them to go off-schedule, or accept a reroute, or something else where they have discretion or can screw you easily, getting subs for the F/A's is a worthwhile investment.

Which is also why, when we had streak dinners on the holidays for our ground personnel we always always had enough steaks to feed all the crews that came around. And the airport cops, and the fire crews, and the tower guys, too. Never once had anyone complain about our charcoal grille outside the bag room.

If it were any other airline (like yours :D), I'd agree. But SWA doesn't charge fees.
Of course they do. Including a fee for one of the most important things for any FF - flying standby. Of course their FF is somewhat of a joke as well. Southwest = bad for FF.

Back