Southwest oopsie - ‘woman partially sucked out of window’

So I have been doing a little research about this and had a few questions that I thought maybe you guys could answer for me - How far out was the lady sucked out? did she die from the explosion or from being partly sucked out of the window?

Nobody knows yet in the public side of things. Not released yet. May not know for over a year and it’ll be sanitized for respect in the final report.

P.S. @Safe_flying

We don’t even know the cause of death yet. Shrapnel to the head? Had a panic attack and heart attack? Bled out from an injury?

I’ve made a couple of guesses above based on the timeline that either she was instantly dead or the cabin crew was really busy working on her, just because of the way the notification to the cockpit went down, but it could have been all sorts of things.

The “she was sucked outside” I believe was first reported by the media on the first day, and not a soul in any seat next to her has said a word to the press since the incident that I’m aware of. Which could tend to indicate that something gruesome happened and nobody wants to talk about it.

In the age of constant selfies below a certain age, that says something also.

P.S. @Safe_flying

We don’t even know the cause of death yet. Shrapnel to the head? Had a panic attack and heart attack? Bled out from an injury?

I’ve made a couple of guesses above based on the timeline that either she was instantly dead or the cabin crew was really busy working on her, just because of the way the notification to the cockpit went down, but it could have been all sorts of things.

The “she was sucked outside” I believe was first reported by the media on the first day, and not a soul in any seat next to her has said a word to the press since the incident that I’m aware of. Which could tend to indicate that something gruesome happened and nobody wants to talk about it.

In the age of constant selfies below a certain age, that says something also.

From this article:

"Phillips [retired nurse who assisted] did not go into graphic detail about her [Jennifer Riordan] injuries but tried to offer some idea of the drastic extent of them.

'If you can possibly imagine going through the window of an airplane at about 600mph, and hitting either the fuselage or the wing with your body, with your face...I can probably tell you that there was significant trauma to the body.

'Significant head trauma, facial trauma,' she said."

From this article:

"Phillips [retired nurse who assisted] did not go into graphic detail about her [Jennifer Riordan] injuries but tried to offer some idea of the drastic extent of them.

'If you can possibly imagine going through the window of an airplane at about 600mph, and hitting either the fuselage or the wing with your body, with your face...I can probably tell you that there was significant trauma to the body.

'Significant head trauma, facial trauma,' she said."

Yeah. Nasty. My wife is a wound care nurse so I hear stories. She gets them after the trauma folks patch them up, and tries to get the body to heal all that stuff. Special dressings, hyperbaric chamber, medical grade maggots (they work well for some things!) all sorts of interesting but totally gross stuff.

When she was studying for the WOCN certification to get started on that line of work, I would often have to remind her that the lovely color photographs in her textbooks could probably be moved somewhere other than the dinner table... LOL.

She can look at the nastiest stuff and be more fascinated by it than disgusted by it.

Here’s the funny part though... she can’t stand severely broken bones and parts at wrong angles or bones that protrude from the inside out. You can give her the willies by showing her any of the sports injury clips where a leg went the wrong way, or that weightlifter dude who’s femurs snapped during a lift. Hahaha.

. . . Here’s the funny part though... she can’t stand severely broken bones and parts at wrong angles or bones that protrude from the inside out. You can give her the willies by showing her any of the sports injury clips where a leg went the wrong way, or that weightlifter dude who’s femurs snapped during a lift. Hahaha.

The weightlifter with the anal prolapse during competition was one of the worst I've seen.

Yeah. Nasty. My wife is a wound care nurse so I hear stories. She gets them after the trauma folks patch them up, and tries to get the body to heal all that stuff. Special dressings, hyperbaric chamber, medical grade maggots (they work well for some things!) all sorts of interesting but totally gross stuff.

When she was studying for the WOCN certification to get started on that line of work, I would often have to remind her that the lovely color photographs in her textbooks could probably be moved somewhere other than the dinner table... LOL.

She can look at the nastiest stuff and be more fascinated by it than disgusted by it.

Here’s the funny part though... she can’t stand severely broken bones and parts at wrong angles or bones that protrude from the inside out. You can give her the willies by showing her any of the sports injury clips where a leg went the wrong way, or that weightlifter dude who’s femurs snapped during a lift. Hahaha.

I used to get the willies with that stuff also. I was actually kinda worried about before starting this job. But, 6 years of seeing the violence of vehicle collisions just 2 ft to my left, I’ve become desensitized to it.

NTSB released maintenance records for the engine. Overhauled a little over 10,712 cycles prior to the incident.

Also released that fatigue cracking was found.

AD was for 20,000 cycles.

Make of all of that what you will... just passing it along.

I used to get the willies with that stuff also. I was actually kinda worried about before starting this job. But, 6 years of seeing the violence of vehicle collisions just 2 ft to my left, I’ve become desensitized to it.

The kids bother me. Injured or sick I still feel for them. The ones that have been injured by parent(s) or so called trusted adults are the hardest.

NTSB released maintenance records for the engine. Overhauled a little over 10,712 cycles prior to the incident.

Also released that fatigue cracking was found.

AD was for 20,000 cycles.

Make of all of that what you will... just passing it along.

Details Nate, 10,712 cycles since last overhaul, which apparently included die penetrant inspection. The blade had over 32,000 cycles on it, which should have made it subject to the original proposed AD which requires ultrasonic inspections. Current AD requires additional inspections every 3,000 cycles once engine reaches initial use threshold.

Just passing it along.

>>>
“As long as you have altitude and ideas, you’re O.K.,” Captain Shults, who was among the first women to fly fighter jets for the Navy three decades ago, said in the interview. “And we had both.”
<<<

Back