Southwest 737 Turbine Blade vs Failed Shroud

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Obviously this was a big deal and someone died because a turbine blade failed. Now it seems a AD will go out regarding inspection - make sense and is a bummer for a great airline if it causes them down time. And I thought I read somewhere that this specific engine was under the proposed total hours for the inspection - it still wouldn't have been detected?

So that brings me to the cowling/shroud. It also failed...in this very scenario....wasn't it supposed to contain that single blade seperating? If so, why are they not going all in on this issue as well?

It looks to me like the containment ring is intact and did its job...preventing movement of that blade perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The shroud ahead of it is thoroughly grenaded.

Dunno what the requirement is for that shroud, but it looks to be made of honeycomb composite. Once that blade is loose and bouncing around in all directions, all bets are off. As someone pointed out in previous thread, the window broken by debris was quite far back, by the trailing edge of the wing.

You turbine guys - Does compressor stall ever happen at high altitude cruise such that you get an explosion out the front of the engine. Might that be what demolished the inlet shroud?

Back