Southern Living: Bug Proofing a Home

I will always live in a place where it gets cold enough to freeze hard so that the nastier bugs can't survive. And in a place where I can live without A/C in the summer.
Does that really work? My dad used to talk about cold winter/fewer bugs... warm winter/more bugs, but I've never noticed a difference. Mosquitoes in Alaska (and Wisconsin) come to mind.

Does that really work? My dad used to talk about cold winter/fewer bugs... warm winter/more bugs, but I've never noticed a difference. Mosquitoes in Alaska (and Wisconsin) come to mind.
Mosquitoes somehow survive. But it does take care of a LOT of the nastier spiders/snakes and ant types.

Mosquitos in Alaska and Wisconsin aren't a problem, they have N numbers engraved in their sides so they can be tracked.

Permethrin is a pretty common pesticide that can be diluted for use indoors or sprayed in greater concentrations outside around the perimeter of the structure. Ranchers use it around barns and livestock for basic post control.

Split unit AC's are practical where you don't have an opening to mount a window unit, but they do require that a hole be drilled through the wall. I'm assuming you are living in a rental, so maybe you could work out a split cost tenant upgrade.

That is, if you can't manage to move in to another place more up to code. What are you living in, a hangar?

Back