Southeast Fly 'n' Shoot?

Interested in a southeast Fly 'n' Shoot???

• Hoover, AL (EKY)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuskegee, AL (06A)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Do you like airplanes?

Do you like guns?

Would you like to do a flyin where we can all gather, shoot, maybe get a good meal, and fly home happy?

Thru the miracle of Al Gore's internets, I've cross checked the NRA, mapquest, and AOPA web sites, and have found four fairly central ranges that are <5sm from an airfield. These are all listed as public ranges, but I have not called to verify. The first three candidates have Enterprise rentals available, so we could rent the needed sized vehicle(s) to get us about. Some also have the standard motel chains nearby if someone needs to RON. They are:
  1. Griffin, GA (6A2)
  2. Hoover, AL (EKY)
  3. Decatur, AL (DCU)
  4. Tuskegee, AL (06A)
I will put in a plug for Decatur (Pryor field), as Big Bob Gibsons BBQ is there, and they have FINE BBQ. http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com/main.htm

Interested? Timeframe? (maybe later spring???)

If there is sufficient interest, I'll start calling the ranges.

Last edited:
Is there any sort of museum or other facility at Tuskegee? That might make for an interesting side-trip after eating and shooting.

And, joy of joys, AL won't honor my VA concealed permit, but they will honor my NH permit.

Last edited:
Well Bill if i had my IR i'd be interested in doing this, unless Tim wants to come pick me up. BTW what are we Shooting Small Bore or Big Bore Pistols? I have both but would needed to pick up Ammo.
Dave G.

I voted for Griffin, GA. The poll says Griffin, AL. but I knew what you meant! It sounds like a blast! (pun intended)

You could make a short hop over to FFC to visit Aircraft Spruce afterwards.

I'm up for the eastern Alabama destinations too.

For those of us who haven't shot anything since a BB gun at 14, is it possible to rent or borrow to do this?

I would probably bring 2-3 pistols (.380 cz73, .357 Ruger GP100, .45 S&W 625-2) and anybody can shoot them. I might even bring a Walker Dragoon copy.

Well Lance i own 14 Handguns, and if they are at the range anybody can shoot them, I have everything from 22 to 45 in semi, and 22 to 41 Mag in revolver so let me know what you want to shoot.
Dave G
P.S. thats providing i get there.

Well Bill if i had my IR i'd be interested in doing this, unless Tim wants to come pick me up. BTW what are we Shooting Small Bore or Big Bore Pistols? I have both but would needed to pick up Ammo.
Dave G.

Dave, if you want to go together, in your airplane (if it's IFR) or in a rental plane I bring, we could do that.

Please consider me in. Thanks for the generosity being shown to borrow. Since I know absolutely nothing about this, it would be fun to try different guns. I would be looking for plenty of advice!
I didn't vote on a location because any of them are within range for me.

Depending on time/distance I may be up for it, especially if I can get my friend to come along (fellow pilot) that owns a Thompson sub-machine gun! :D

I took a handgun class in 1996 to get my carry permit and haven't even bought a gun to carry. I do have an old 22 revolver and a thirty ot six rifle my late Grandfather gave me which I have never fired. Can we shoot rifle's at these ranges?

Bill, can I hitch a ride with you in the Mooney??:)

Can we shoot rifle's at these ranges?

Most of these were rifle ranges as well as pistol ranges. Also, all of the ones listed are outdoor ranges. While there is nothing wrong with indoor ranges, I enjoy being outdoors MUCH more.

Dave, if you want to go together, in your airplane (if it's IFR) or in a rental plane I bring, we could do that.

Well Tim my plane is IFR so thats no problem, I'll talk to you later about how ,when ,where.
Dave G:blueplane:

Is there any sort of museum or other facility at Tuskegee? That might make for an interesting side-trip after eating and shooting.

I spent a few hours in Tuskegee, AL due to weather, a year and a half ago. There IS in fact a museum honoring the Tuskegee airmen. When I was there it was in a new temp "trailer" (i.e. the kind they use for expanding schools). I believe the plan was to build an entirely new facility. It was run by the US park service or something like that. I made a quick pass through the museum, but to be honest, I was a little stressed about the weather situation, so I wasn't really able to relax and enjoy the museum. There was a film available for watching, but unfortunately I was not in the mood, nor did I have the time to watch it.

If I were there again, I would want to return and spend more time at the musuem. The museum is hmmm... from memory... maybe a half-mile or less walk from the "FBO"?

BTW, I had asked around, and was told that there were not really any hotels or motels in Tuskegee, except that someone said that the University may have one on-campus. I drove around town in the FBO car to get lunch and only saw one motel... but it looked kind of scary.

Also, as a note, the FBO did not have internet or a weather terminal... about all they had for weather was the Weather channel on cable. I was afraid of getting stuck there overnight without any motels, so I noticed a "window" and flew up the interstate a few miles and stayed at Auburn, AL.

I don't recall seeing a gun range, so I can't report on that.

Judd

Please consider me in. Thanks for the generosity being shown to borrow. Since I know absolutely nothing about this, it would be fun to try different guns. I would be looking for plenty of advice!
I didn't vote on a location because any of them are within range for me.

You shouldn't have a problem Lance!

Just don't follow this guys' example for ear protection!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• redneckhearingprotect.bmp
    312.9 KB · Views: 21
Dave, That's a good one!

Hey Bill, Decatur (Pryor field) have a few hotels just across the river on the 72 by-pass. The Holiday Inn and Country Inns and Suites are the closest.
However, what ever the masses agree to is where I'll land with the arsenol!

You shouldn't have a problem Lance!

Just don't follow this guys' example for ear protection!

Best,

Dave
Like Lance, I haven't shot anything since YMCA camp, many years ago. I'd be interested in picking it up, though! And I still remember enough not to try to emulate that guy wearing the ATF cap. Hmmmm...

Back