Southeast Family Getaway?

Soldier64

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill H.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking for a place in the southeast to get away with the wife, 10 moth old, and dog. Fly in would be nice, cabin/hotel is a must with the kiddo, and obviously pet friendly. Anyone recommend somewhere?

Thanks.

hhmm, interesting. when are u looking to do this? I might have suggested Triple Tree but I think that's just camping, not sure if they have cabins.

Hard to have a bad day at Marathon FL. Most little cabins will pick you up from the airport, plenty of things to mess with down there.

hhmm, interesting. when are u looking to do this? I might have suggested Triple Tree but I think that's just camping, not sure if they have cabins.

I will look into that. Looking for the two week exodus that happens at the end of December. Only for 3-4 days though.

Hard to have a bad day at Marathon FL. Most little cabins will pick you up from the airport, plenty of things to mess with down there.

My family is down that way. Looking more for the GA, NC, or TN type vacation.

Probably a 2 hour flight from Rucker to Dalton, GA. Driven past and flown over many times but never stayed. Appears to have good reviews. Didn't see anything on pets though.

http://www.theoverlookinn.com/mobile/rooms.aspx

No pets allowed. Shame. Thanks though!

Figured Overlook wouldn't allow pets. These guys handle most of the Cabin rentals in north GA. Pet friendly.

http://www.blueskycabinrentals.com/

DZJ probably your best airport for them. Maybe just shy of 2 hr flight. They finally got a GPS approach in. Enterprise right down the street probably meet you at the airport.

Other than that, you got the whole Pigeon Forge, TN deal. That's mostly touristy stuff if you're looking for that. Blue Sky Cabins is mostly to get away from the tourist stuff and relax.

I went to KCRG (Jacksonville executive) back in late August on last min trip. $10 dollar a night tie down, and fuel was about on par for the area. About a 25 dollar uber ride to the beach each way. I got a hotel across from the beach for $100 a night and about a 10 min walk to the restaurants and bars.

Now this place is on my list but i have not made it down to check it out. KCDK, its the Ceder Key Airport just where the panhandle of FL turns into the peninsula. Ive read the comments from foreflight and other sources and it looks like a 20 dollar each way ride gets you to town and supposedly a very nice little resort town. However their is no fuel on the airport and the runway is only 2300 feet. So might want to practice short field operations prior to going.

I went to KCRG (Jacksonville executive) back in late August on last min trip. $10 dollar a night tie down, and fuel was about on par for the area. About a 25 dollar uber ride to the beach each way. I got a hotel across from the beach for $100 a night and about a 10 min walk to the restaurants and bars.

Now this place is on my list but i have not made it down to check it out. KCDK, its the Ceder Key Airport just where the panhandle of FL turns into the peninsula. Ive read the comments from foreflight and other sources and it looks like a 20 dollar each way ride gets you to town and supposedly a very nice little resort town. However their is no fuel on the airport and the runway is only 2300 feet. So might want to practice short field operations prior to going.
Cedar Key is cool - dog friendly island, very laid back, eating/shopping/rent kayak/rent golf cart/ two small museums. Far-A-Away Inn is very dog friendly. McCormick Realty and Mgmt has a number of houses/cabins scattered on the island that they manage - don't know if any dog friendly (tell them Bill and Teresa sent you)
KCDK recently refurbished w asphalt, lines and numbers, new tie downs, and lights and wind sock that actually work. Judy the taxi lady monitors CTAF for a ride to town.

Seveirville, TN. Lots of cabins or hotel, plenty to do in Pigeon Forge and a nice Museum at the airport.

Mountain Air Country Club near Burnsville, NC has some places for rent on VRBO. Not sure if renters are allowed to use the private airport (2NC0) located in the community, but if so it's probably the highest elevation (4432 ft) you'll land at this side of the Rockies. I'm guessing you'll have to look at each property to figure out whether they allow pets.

Mountain air would be awesome but you would need to figure out if you can walk everywhere, or if you need to rent a car.

KAVL is an easy one if you want to do the mountains, you can rent a car there from the FBO or the airline termal side for $30-45 per day. Its about a 15 min drive into downtown. Lots to do there. Biltmore estate is a great way to spend an afternoon.

St Simmons Island,not sure if they take pets, Kssi . Fun little island on the Ga. Coast.

Back