Southeast destinations

TuomoMooneyFlying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tuomo
There’s some real cool places in the southeast!

We fell in love with Jekyll Island, such a cool location. Made a video of the trip.

Hit a bunch of small airports for a Poker Run, a neat surprise was Franklin-Hart 18A, northeast of Atlanta but in a “different” country.

So many more to explore!

I went to Apalachicola FL a few years ago, great airport. We were there in the cooler months, still great. Of course I can be happy in seafood beer pub, or similar. Check it out.

Atlantic Southeast Airlines? Aka ASA? Aka Always Stays in Atlanta? Aka America’s ****iest Airline?
chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

Jekyl Island is nice, bring bicycles or scooters to get to town, and BUG spray! The electric golf cart at the airport was something over $125/day to rent.

St Simmons Island KSSI is probably one of my favorites. Nice hotel on the airport, walk to great BBQ, beaches and town to sort of walk to (2 miles), free crew car.

Myrtle Beach, saint simons island,Fernandia beach.

My wife and I enjoy Hilton Head, Saint Simons and Jekyll Island, and I’ve been to Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island many times for work. What we really like is that each of the islands have their own personality.

Myrtle Beach, saint simons island,Fernandia beach.
I’ve been thinking about checking out Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Anything in particular around there that you recommend? Might go for the concours d’elegance next year

I’ve been thinking about checking out Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island. Anything in particular around there that you recommend? Might go for the concours d’elegance next year
Fernandia beach has really grown in the last few years,it’s major attraction is the beach.plenty of good restaurants.

The downtown area is very nice. Plenty of walkable restaurants and shops. Much more to do in the downtown area than at St Simon’s for instance.

eman's hangar. BYOB. also BBFE (bring beer for eman).

The downtown area is very nice. Plenty of walkable restaurants and shops. Much more to do in the downtown area than at St Simon’s for instance.

I'm not so sure I would have said that....but after thinking about it Fernandina I suppose does have a good bit longer main drag than St Simons
The St Simons waterfront is a nice visit...few shops and places to eat/drink. We've gone to both St Simons and Fernandina several times for 1 or 2 night weekend trips.
I think of both as decent little 1 or maybe 2 night B&B type locations....but not longer than that.

St Simons has the added benefit of the best onion rings I've ever had. (Brogens)

...best onion rings I've ever had. (Brogens)...
I love a good onion ring. I've added Brogen's to my list of places to go. I also added it to FlightsForBites.com. I might even try to get there this weekend.

I love a good onion ring. I've added Brogen's to my list of places to go. I also added it to FlightsForBites.com. I might even try to get there this weekend.
Two locations I believe...I've only been to the one near the pier
I'm not sure how to get there from the airport. Not easily walkable

Two locations I believe...I've only been to the one near the pier
I'm not sure how to get there from the airport. Not easily walkable
Yep. I noted it as "short drive" in FlightsForBites since it's a 45 min walk according to GM. Golden Isles Aviation has courtesy cars. Are Uber's readily available?

The place is jammed during concours week. The airport sets up a temporary control tower, and plane parking is difficult. Next to impossible to get a hotel, and the rates are out of sight.

If you’d like something besides shops and restaurants (which are indeed excellent), check out Ft. Clinch state park. The fort itself is interesting and there are lots of nature trails, plus a good beach and fishing.

If you’d like a really cool place to stay, check out the Williams House b&b. SWMBO and I stayed there for our 25th anniversary. The house has lots of history, including being part of the Underground Railroad during the War of Northern Aggression, but I’ll let you learn all about it for yourself. It’s also within easy walking distance of the downtown area.

Back