South West Advice

Discussion in 'Non-Aviation Gatherings' started by aviatingfool, Jan 28, 2013.

1. aviatingfool

aviatingfool Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    aviatingfool
    Have been reading and watching videos posted on flying the Southwest but can't glean a preferred route to see as much as possible. Does anyone have any advice on routes they have taken to see the most of the Monument Valley and Moab areas? I'll get charts for the area but without one on hand, are there specific altitude restrictions limiting up close views of the landscape? Good paved strips with lodging within walking distance? Good food?
    Thanks!

2. RV10flyer

RV10flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    RV10flyer
    This is a trip taken by some good friends of ours in 2009...

http://3limafoxtrot.com/fun/west09.htm

We are planning to go out in our RV-10 this summer, depending on the avgas piggy bank. Looks to be a beautiful place.

3. aviatingfool

aviatingfool Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    aviatingfool
    Thanks Wayne! Gonna take awhile to watch all the videos but exactly what I was hoping for.
    Thank again!

4. ejensen

ejensen Pattern Altitude Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Jensen
    The general request is 2000' to the closest surface for National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, Wilderness Areas and a few other special areas like Lake Powell. They are on the charts as blue solid lines with dots on one side. This is just a request which I try to follow or we will have more Grand Canyon Special Flight rules. Monument Valley is Navajo land with no restrictions yet. They even hosted a Red Bull race.