(South)East Coast Lunch Stops?

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
Hi all, I'm flying RDU -> MKY (Marco Island, Florida) on Friday, then back next Wednesday. Currently planning ZIKDA KSSI MADEN OAKEL to stay away from most of the restricted airspace, and stop at SSI (Saint Simons, Georgia) for fuel / lunch.

Interested if anyone who flies these kinds of paths in the Southeast more regularly wants to advice any better lunch/fuel stops, and/or advice on the Florida restricted areas (e.g. "there's a chance they won't be active even mid-weekday").

well sounds like u already got ur lunch stop picked out......as for the flight, r u IR? have you looked at suggested routing in either gp or ff? also gp has the profile view which is pretty cool for seeing all the airspace along your route.

Typically the MOAs and Restricted area around Lake George (east of Ocala(OCF)) are cold. Easy to check with Jax Center. Further south, the MOAs and Restricted areas around Avon Park are often hot.

Albert Whitted (SPG) has a good restaurant on the field (second floor of FBO)

I think the new restaurant on Ocala (OCF) is open. Haven’t been there yet.
Others in Florida with restaurants include:

DeLand (DED) watch out for skydiving
Flagler (FIN)
Venice (VNC)
Vero Beach (VRB)
Ft Pierce (FPR)

there are others as well, just don’t have the names handy.

well sounds like u already got ur lunch stop picked out......as for the flight, r u IR? have you looked at suggested routing in either gp or ff? also gp has the profile view which is pretty cool for seeing all the airspace along your route.

Yes IR rated, but planning to fly VFR if possible because wife dislikes flying in clouds and they’re easier to dodge VFR. FF has profile view now too; agree it’s very cool. Was just wondering if there was local knowledge of lunch spots not to miss or airspace I don’t actually have to avoid…

Typically the MOAs and Restricted area around Lake George (east of Ocala(OCF)) are cold. Easy to check with Jax Center. Further south, the MOAs and Restricted areas around Avon Park are often hot.

Albert Whitted (SPG) has a good restaurant on the field (second floor of FBO)

I think the new restaurant on Ocala (OCF) is open. Haven’t been there yet.

Perfect; thanks!

Yes IR rated, but planning to fly VFR if possible because wife dislikes flying in clouds and they’re easier to dodge VFR. FF has profile view now too; agree it’s very cool. Was just wondering if there was local knowledge of lunch spots not to miss or airspace I don’t actually have to avoid…

Perfect; thanks!
To add a bit more clarity on the restricted areas and MOAs:
R-2903 and 2904 (around Keystone (42J): some part is typically active all the time

Palatka 1 and 2 MOAs, R-2906, 2907, 2910 are typically cold.

Jekyll Island (09J) which is just south of St Simons is a nice place to stop. They have Red Bug cars (kind of like golf carts, but better) available for use to go into town where there are some shops, restaurants, beach. For people flying in they have several Red Bugs available for free use for a couple hours.

Albert Whitted (SPG) in St Pete is a great stop. Restaurant in the terminal, walking distance to Dali Museum, shops, restaurants, St Pete pier, etc.

[edit] looking at your route, I’d change it to come down the coast, such as from SSI direct SPG, then down the west coast of FL to Marco. The center of the state isn’t bad, but I like the beach scenery better, also, clouds tend to build in the interior.

Could also go down the east coast from SSI - SGJ - VRB. Do a low pass down the Space Shuttle landing strip and see the launch complexes for KSC and Patrick.

Last edited:
SSI is a great lunch stop. If you’re willing to walk a little, there are choices besides BBQ.

Okeechobee (OBE) and Labelle (LBV) have good food too. St Pete (SPG) is really cool.

I usually file IFR or flight following direct through the restricted areas and MOAs and almost always never have to fly around them because they're cold. IFR in florida is constant deviation all the time in the summer and controllers in my experience have been accommodating and helpful.

hands down best onion rings I've ever had were at Brogens (South), a little burger/sandwich/biker bar kind of place down by the pier in Saint Simons
and if you like deep dish pizza, a little place called CJ's in that same area was pretty darn good
Both kind of dive looking places, not fancy, but I liked the food!

Back