South Chicago area questions

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'm looking for suggestions on GA airports on the south end of Chicago, near the Homewood/Flossmoor/Matteson/Chicago Heights area.

My family is originally from around there, and I still have some relatives there. I don't know that I'll make the trip, from Kansas City, anytime soon. But planning is half the fun. As a low-time/low-budget pilot I tend to keep my XCs short but, someday!

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew said:
I'm looking for suggestions on GA airports on the south end of Chicago, near the Homewood/Flossmoor/Matteson/Chicago Heights area.

My family is originally from around there, and I still have some relatives there. I don't know that I'll make the trip, from Kansas City, anytime soon. But planning is half the fun. As a low-time/low-budget pilot I tend to keep my XCs short but, someday!

Thanks,
Matt

LOT/Lewis University, or Lansing. I'd have to look on map to see which is closer but I think it's LOT, which is further west. Nice place.

LOT is where the weather station is. You can see the radar which is irradiating you as you stand on the ramp. :rolleyes:

we used to use line boys to test the onboard weather radars at work. they show up really well at a range of about 20 feet, none have gotten cancer yet!

Lansing IGQ is the one you want. Much closer by far than LOT. Frankfurt C18, and New Lenox Howell 1C2 I believe are both closed. Bult (Nee Sanger) C56 is closed for runway construction. I would avoid I-80 down there as well, it is under construction and nearly always backed up.

Thanks, I was getting conflicting information on Frankfurt and New Lennox/Howell whether or not they were closed. I had already started checking into Lansing.

Anyone have any comments on Valparaiso? I've got relatives there too.

Matthew said:
Thanks, I was getting conflicting information on Frankfurt and New Lennox/Howell whether or not they were closed. I had already started checking into Lansing.

That's what I was going to suggest too, Lansing. IGQ IIRC. Has one of the original Ford hangars, and a bar&grill type place on the field. It's also smack in the middle of a bunch of "stuff" but that's probably true of every field in Chicago. Right Grant? :D

(I flew an instrument lesson to Grant's field, 1C5, once... Vis was good but I had to go missed because I couldn't find the field. Found it the second time around, realized the runway lights from the angle the IAP is look like just another block's worth of street lights, just like the blocks it's sandwiched between in fact!!! :redface:)

Uh, well, there's a Pilot truck stop right next door. :rolleyes:

I suppose I can say that it should be easy to get to both from the air and the ground. It's on the northeast corner of the intersection of IN 49 and US 30. US 30 is hard to miss starting over by Gary, it's a good-sized road with lots of stuff on it.

Lansing to VPZ should be a VERY quick hop - maybe 10-12 minutes in the plane.

Be sure to go down the lakeshore route and pay your respects to Meigs. :(

Matthew said:
Sure! VPZ is a nice place. They have a courtesy car you might be able to borrow.

The last time we flew in, I bought fuel, and said we wanted to go to the Strongbow Inn. They called for them to send a car come get us. It was graduation weekend and they were pretty busy. An employee picked us up. The manager dropped us off.

As I leave Mr. MBA-type lands, charges up to the desk, says don't touch my plane, and says they need the courtesy car. They give it him.

Shows ya the benefits of being subtle. :rolleyes:

http://www.strongbowinn.com

Valpo aka Porter County is a nice place. I had to divert there a couple of winters ago due to icing. I was very glad for their ILS and then their comfortable pilot lounge. Good airport with a friendly FBO. There are some nice resutrants near by but not walking distance.

IGQ and LOT are both pretty good. I had the Asparugus soup for lunch at IGQ's restaurant this afternoon. It was delicious.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back