South Bend, IN on Saturday?

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Anyone going to be around South Bend on Saturday? Im flying the 421 in for the Notre Dame/ Michigan game but im pretty sure Im not going to the game. Will probably be there from something like 10 AM till 5 or 6 PM.

You know, I'm tempted to fly out in the Mooney and hang out for the afternoon and then return. :)

Let me see what else is going on, I may be able to talk my way into having a reason to go out there.

EDIT: Especially if someone else in the general area is interested in going and wants to split fuel...

Last edited:
I can't be there as I am flying to Tokyo that say. But be advised South Bend Airport during a Notre Dame game can and does fill completely up. Such that there is no aircraft parking whatsoever and landings will be denied if you need to stay. I have been in the air many a time flying through their airspace and have heard approach tell some planes 'tough luck' if they had not already arranged a parking place.

Last edited:
But be advised South Bend Airport during aNotra Dame game can and does fill completely up such that there is no parking whatsoever and landings will be denied if you need to stay. I have been in the air many of time flying through their airspace and have heard approach tell some planes tough luck if they had not already arranged a parking place.

thanks scott. we're showing up super early in the morning, hopefully it wont be a problem

yea its been too long since i got to see you Ted, hope you can make it.

You know, I'm tempted to fly out in the Mooney and hang out for the afternoon and then return. :)

Let me see what else is going on, I may be able to talk my way into having a reason to go out there.

EDIT: Especially if someone else in the general area is interested in going and wants to split fuel...

That place may be a zoo. Traffic was down last "home football" weekend.
I have a 7 am shift. If you are above 11,000 and on 127.55 after 7 am, you could ask for ApacheBob if they are not busy.
Note: No phone number was included in the making of this message.:rolleyes:
:blueplane:

ill check for you bob. I assume that filing AMW-KELSI-SBN would be my best bet??

When traffic was heavy (last year with lower AvGas prices), the traffic was re-routed over Keeler VOR (ELX), then direct South Bend. When I worked the last home game a few days ago, South Bend was not expecting heavy volume, so we just gave everyone direct. The (Chicago) South Departure corridor sector tried to get me to re-route an arrival far to the south, but I knew that South Bend Approach was okay with direct, so I just vectored the Eastbound arrival a little to the left (north) to avoid their airspace. This allowed the arrival to stay higher longer and go more direct. With that routing, you will probably never be put on 127.55. I may hear you while working on 120.35. That frequency works a lot of the Chicago Departures, so I may be too busy to chat. I wish I could fly over there and meet you. Have a good time.
ApacheBob

ill be coming from Ames(AMW). pretty sure ill brush the Bravo if i go direct. Last time i headed that direction, for western OH, i got rerouted to KELSI.

From what I've gotten in the way of routings, filing Kelsi will get you a cleared as filed....

I think I'm out, sorry Tony. It looks like some other things have come up that I best get done.

Anyone going to be around South Bend on Saturday? Im flying the 421 in for the Notre Dame/ Michigan game but im pretty sure Im not going to the game. Will probably be there from something like 10 AM till 5 or 6 PM.

Had you told me not only where but WHY... I would have made arrangements... but I would have wanted tickets to the game and I would show up in MAZE AND BLUE!

Had you told me not only where but WHY... I would have made arrangements... but I would have wanted tickets to the game and I would show up in MAZE AND BLUE!

Oh yeah, I forgot that you'd actually want to fly to the game rather than fly to see Tony. Shows where your priorities are. ;)

And besides, you know how much I care about such games. I'd rather talk airplanes. :)

Sheesh. You'd think a Michigan grad would be able to spell "maize." :rolleyes: :rofl:

Back