SOP vs Flexibility

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
got this powerpoint slide via email today. It's trains, not airplanes, but the Lessons Learned regarding Standard Operating Procedures vs Flexibility cross over to us in aviation.
Oh yea, I forgot - POA doesn't handle uploading powerpoint, so stand by one while I upload it to a server.

Click here for the Powerpoint Slide Show CoalTrain

gkainz said:
got this powerpoint slide via email today. It's trains, not airplanes, but the Lessons Learned regarding Standard Operating Procedures vs Flexibility cross over to us in aviation.
Oh yea, I forgot - POA doesn't handle uploading powerpoint, so stand by one while I upload it to a server.

I'm working on a bunch of quality and SOP initiatives at my compay right now. I'm going to use this in my presentation next week - people don't seem to understand that the letter of the law sometimes needs to be used as a guide (i.e. don't stop the train on the wooden bridge) rather than the absoulte rule.

Cheers,

-Andrew

gkainz said:

Whoa!

My dad's a retired civil engineer who was chief bridge inspector for a railroad. I saved it to show to him.

gkainz said:

It sure will make me think twice about landing a stricken aircraft on a creoste timbered trestle now... <G>

astanley said:
people don't seem to understand that the letter of the law sometimes needs to be used as a guide (i.e. don't stop the train on the wooden bridge) rather than the absoulte rule.

I'd have got myself fired and probably fined on that one but I wouldn't have a melted train on my hands.
Me: Stop. Oh (*&#($!! Roll it off the bridge. Stop. Get out the marshmallows. Wait for whatever happens next.

Back