Son needs to finish PPL over break. Weather sucks in Chicago-just venting

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
My son is home for a month on winter break from college. He had been flying a Warrior in Jeff City MO. Want to get him done on break, in an Archer 3.

He has 35 hours including 4 solo, 3 hours hood, 2.5 hours night, and 4 hours dual xc. He passed knowledge test.

He needs rest of solo time including solo xc, a little more night, probably another dual xc (due to ORD Bravo nearby) and finish up work. I am figuring a minimum of 15 hours.

Damn weather isn't cooperating.....he has 4 weeks to get it done. Here's hoping.

He wants to get it done before he goes back to school. He is dedicating these 4 weeks to nothing but flying. He is a computer science /IT major with a double minor in math and electrical engineering. This next semester will be tough and he wants to get it out of the way.

Get him in that plane with an instructor to fly south for a few days to somewhere the weather's good and there's a reliable examiner. Won't be the cheapest solution, but it's feasible.

Get him in that plane with an instructor to fly south for a few days to somewhere the weather's good and there's a reliable examiner. Won't be the cheapest solution, but it's feasible.

Not so feasible this weekend, though, due to Wx. And he just might want to be home for Christmas. Or not! :) Could always head out commercial!

Send him down here, it's in the 80s and sunny. I'll hook him up with my CFI buddy Ira and get him wrapped up.

Send him down here, it's in the 80s and sunny. I'll hook him up with my CFI buddy Ira and get him wrapped up.

Thanks Henning....he's all for it, naturally....but the guy we have here he likes. This guy is also my new primary IR instructor.

Not so feasible this weekend, though, due to Wx. And he just might want to be home for Christmas. Or not! :) Could always head out commercial!

Grant, he is doing sim stuff this weekend due to this crap weather. Was going to go to the fly out a couple of weeks ago but didn't like the weather.

Thanks Henning....he's all for it, naturally....but the guy we have here he likes. This guy is also my new primary IR instructor.

Sounds like a two-fer to me. Instrument instruction on the way down to Florida and primary while you are here. Orlando's weather has been beautiful for the last week.

Go for the trip south ,get the hours you need . Weather is extremely nice in Fla right now.

First of all, been there, done that. Waited 6 weeks for a gap in the weather to take my checkride. I know it's frustrating, but at some point you just accept that we all start out as fair-weather pilots.

Back