Son going on XC today...maybe some more

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Weather FINALLY is cooperating here, albeit a little cold. My son has the plane schedule for 6 hours today, and is on his dual XC with his instructor as we speak.

He flew yesterday as well....maybe he can finish up.

Lucky him, my CFI scoffed at me (nicely) about the idea of flying on Christmas Eve Day.

He is under a time crunch....going back to college in three weeks and weather here generally sucks.

Good to see that the instructor is on board with the crunch schedule. Hope he makes it.

Good to see that the instructor is on board with the crunch schedule. Hope he makes it.

Thanks. These guys are usually agreeable to doing everything within their control to safely get things done. I saw it with me, other students, and now with my son.

He now needs to do his solo XC, about 2 other hours of solo time, 1 hour of hood time, and 1 hour of night to meet minimum time requirements. He has 44 hours to date, of which 4 are solo.

If the weather there sucks and time is a premium, send him here for a week. Seriously.

It's been CAVU and light winds for weeks, with no end in sight. Here is the current METAR and a nearby TAF:

KPAO 241747Z VRB03KT 30SM SKC 13/06 A3032

KSFO TAF 241720Z 2418/2524 VRB03KT P6SM FEW200 FM242300 30008KT P6SM FEW200 FM250300 VRB03KT P6SM FEW200

It's not the cheapest way to go by a longshot, and there are some places with even better weather. But in the city, you'll find a lot of flight instructors rarin' to go.

If the weather there sucks and time is a premium, send him here for a week. Seriously.

It's been CAVU and light winds for weeks, with no end in sight. Here is the current METAR and a nearby TAF:

KPAO 241747Z VRB03KT 30SM SKC 13/06 A3032

KSFO TAF 241720Z 2418/2524 VRB03KT P6SM FEW200 FM242300 30008KT P6SM FEW200 FM250300 VRB03KT P6SM FEW200

It's not the cheapest way to go by a longshot, and there are some places with even better weather. But in the city, you'll find a lot of flight instructors rarin' to go.

My sister lives in Tampa. If sending him away was an option, I would send him there....but kinda miss my kid and would like to share this experience with him. We took his solo shirt tail into be framed a couple of days ago. He was very proud of it....

Well, good luck.

I may go flying myself after work, if we get the afternoon off like the civil servants do. The weather is phenomenal. Staring at the Center flagpole outside my window, it's dead calm and visibility is unrestricted. Mountains are visible in all directions. Local METARs top out at 30SM vis, but I think it's closer to 50, at least.

Well, good luck.

I may go flying myself after work, if we get the afternoon off like the civil servants do. The weather is phenomenal. Staring at the Center flagpole outside my window, it's dead calm and visibility is unrestricted. Mountains are visible in all directions. Local METARs top out at 30SM vis, but I think it's closer to 50, at least.

I'm envious, although its a nice day here

He now needs to do his solo XC, about 2 other hours of solo time, 1 hour of hood time, and 1 hour of night to meet minimum time requirements. He has 44 hours to date, of which 4 are solo.

Forgot to add has learned on 3 difference plane types. Started on a 172, but moved to Indy for an internship right before he was going to solo. Had 3 lessons in Indy in a 172 at a non-towered field (probably a good experience). Went back to school, started in September on a Warrior...did some flying in Chicago on an Archer 3, back to Missouri and now back here. Probably put on an extra 5-10 hours due to changing planes....

My fault not his.

Good luck to him. Three weeks sounds doable. I had my PP check ride the day before I went to college. I was ready to put it off, but my instructor insisted and busted ass to make it happen. If not for that, I probably would not have ever gotten my ticket.

Well his instructor is flying with him tomorrow. Can't believe it. Guess they both are committed to getting it done. Happy about that.

The long solo xc will likely hit his 2 hours solo. Then do the hood time at night and bam.

Hope it all works out!

Weather FINALLY is cooperating here, albeit a little cold. My son has the plane schedule for 6 hours today, and is on his dual XC with his instructor as we speak.

He flew yesterday as well....maybe he can finish up.

Where did he fly on his long XC? I would imaging flying out of PWK means coming up into the great state of Wisconsin?

Where did he fly on his long XC? I would imaging flying out of PWK means coming up into the great state of Wisconsin?

I think the route may be KPWK-KOSH-KMSN-KPWK for long one. KPWK-KJVL-KPWK for short one.

His last dual XC was KPWK-KJVL-KPWK. He had some dual XC in MO.

Finished hood training today and shot an approach. Heard he did well. He may do his short XC over the weekend and do his long XC after the 1st. He'll be doing solo time tomorrow.

How did his lesson go ?

Went well today. But quickly went to IMC, so he was under hood. He did well, and CFI filed an IFR flight plan in air....the flew back to KPWK in IMC and did an approach. Kid wants to start instrument training now.

Went well today. But quickly went to IMC, so he was under hood. He did well, and CFI filed an IFR flight plan in air....the flew back to KPWK in IMC and did an approach. Kid wants to start instrument training now.

Well shows he's up for this flying. Should have no trouble with the ppl I would bet. Good luck again.

Back