Somewhere to start

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
Friend and I are student pilots- looked at a plane yesterday to purchase. No gps is coming with the plane. We were adding up what we would need to spend and I'm at a loss on where to start on figuring out what technology to add.

So, assuming new pilots, moderate amount of cross country flights, and desiring simplicity and relative affordability, where is a good place to start?

Buy a used older external Gps such as ----?

Get an antenna and download the ---- app on iPad and use it?

I am sure I could do a search and spend a lot of hours reading on this topic but I'm so ignorant in the subject at the moment I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks for the help.

ML

Buy one with approved gps and auto pilot which should get you into a plane you can fly for years. Also nice to buy one already ads-b setup so you don't have to bite that bullet. Much cheaper to buy everything allready installed in plane. Will save you lot of money in long run.

Gotta throw in more info.... budget would be helpful!

You can probably get into a Cherokee 140/160/180 for pretty cheap already equipped with a KLN94 GPS to hold you over.

Are you set on a particular make and model,how long will you be keeping the airplane. If it's a starter airplane ,a portable GPS may work for you.

There's a guy on here selling a GNS430W for like 7k.

Biggest thing, are you VFR/VMC, or are you wanting a IMC bird?

I wouldn't bother with a KLN plane.

I'd say just get a iPad mini cellular with foreflight if you're just VFRing it, or get a plane with a GNS430, HSI and GPSS autopilot if you're IMCing it.

Hi ML

Although there are a huge number of GPS approaches at airports with no other type of instrument approach procedure, there are a lot of airports with ground based approaches. It is my understanding that the FAA (for a backup system) intends to leave at least one ground based approach at those airports which currently have ground based approaches. An approach approved GPS in the panel would be great, but you don't have to have that. For a budget flyer, how about getting a good airplane that fits most of your flying with satisfactory instruments (like dual NAV/COMMs, one with glide slope and maybe DME), then plan to add something like the Appareo Stratux ES (for ADS-B in/out) with a Stratus, buy an iPad if you don't already have one and subscribe to ForeFlight? That would give you moving map GPS with traffic and weather, AHRS, and instrument training/approach capability at quite a few airports (those we had 10 or so years ago). Unless you are heading for the airlines or corporate, this may fit about all your needs. It does mine.

Being able to file direct is golden, for many folks not being a /G makes IFR more of a pain then it's worth, it also cuts your avalabile approaches waaay down.

The exception to that is if you're just looking to get your IFR rating and don't care much about using it, in that case a bare bones airplane is actually better. Still, for real world, real IMC work you need a /G.

Budget? For the plane of for gps?

Looking for a suitable first plane capable of caring 2 adults with two kids and baggage for cross country trips. Search has been centered on c-182 pretty much. Although I am game for anything that fits the mission. Like to stay in the neighborhood of $60,000. Currently training in a c-150 and enjoy all the cross country planning and pilotage aspects but I just don't see taking off on a true cross country without a gps. Have an iPad and have fore flight on it and have played with it some but haven't used it in the plane for navigation. If I find a plane without gps, would a iPad mount and the fore flight be sufficient for my needs? Or do I need something more specialized?

I want to get an instrument rated but plane on flying for a year before starting it.

Thanks.

Budget? For the plane of for gps?

Looking for a suitable first plane capable of caring 2 adults with two kids and baggage for cross country trips. Search has been centered on c-182 pretty much. Although I am game for anything that fits the mission. Like to stay in the neighborhood of $60,000. Currently training in a c-150 and enjoy all the cross country planning and pilotage aspects but I just don't see taking off on a true cross country without a gps. Have an iPad and have fore flight on it and have played with it some but haven't used it in the plane for navigation. If I find a plane without gps, would a iPad mount and the fore flight be sufficient for my needs? Or do I need something more specialized?

I want to get an instrument rated but plane on flying for a year before starting it.

Thanks.

For VFR, Foreflight on an iPad is more than adequate to substitute for a panel mounted GPS.

However, if you intend to use it for IFR try to find an airplane already equipped with what you want. It is always less expensive to buy a good panel than to add one to an airplane.

Hi ML.

GRG55 is saying basically the same thing I am. You (in my opinion) only need to spend the dollars for certified GPS (like Garmin 430W) and yearly subscription costs (+/- $400 annually) if you intend to use it for IFR. Otherwise, you can use an iPad or portable GPS or both. You will need ADS-B out anyway in a few years, so if you can combine that requirement with your GPS navigation needs you can save quite a bit of money. You can still likely go direct if you are in radar coverage. I was not saying do without GPS.

As a VFR flyer currently, i actually prefer Foreflight to a panel-mounted solution.

More functionality, easier navigation, easy to make route changes, and the profile button is great for bumping through the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with what has been said. For VFR, Ipad/Foreflight type combo is the best bang for the buck and far superior to a panel mounted GPS in terms of information available to you...but keep in mind, ANY external GPS will be for "situational awareness only" meaning that you can't use it as a legal source of navigation. That only really comes into play if you are IFR.

If you plan to transition to IFR sooner then later...knowing what I know now I would want at least a Garmin 430 in my plane...but not 100% necessary...but it is MUCH more expensive to add it later than to buy a plane already with it.

Back to your original question...I would not put in any panel mounted GPS if you are gonna be strictly VFR.

Foreflight/Ipad option costs:

$300-$500 for Ipad of your choice
$99/ Year for Foreflight app (which includes subscription for ALL your charts)
$150 for basic external GPS for Ipad...or
$899.00 for Stratus 2 which will give you external GPS and ADS-B weather In (plus traffic if/when you become ADS-B OUT compliant).

vs.

$7,000 plus installation for a USED Garmin 430 panel mounted solution

Last edited:
You can get a very good VFR GPS like a Garmin for $1500 that will allow you to fly anywhere in the US and Canada. It works best connected to the airplane electrical system and unless you have a plug for that you may have to hire an avionics guy to put one in for an additional $400 or so. They usually work off a cigarette lighter although there are other types of plugs available. Of course older ones are available used. Just make sure you get one that can be updated and you get ALL the accessories, of which there are many.

Certified IFR GPS's are nice and pricey, like starting at 5k and going up to 15k. Welcome to high priced aircraft avionics!

Back