Something going on around DC

Jets can be VFR and not talking to the controllers also.

As for speed, many military jets have flight manuals that require operation at speeds above 250 knots below 10,000. In ATC, the T-38 min speed was 300. in TAC, it was 250

Jets can be VFR and not talking to the controllers also.

As for speed, many military jets have flight manuals that require operation at speeds above 250 knots below 10,000. In ATC, the T-38 min speed was 300. in TAC, it was 250
TAC ??

This is, arguably, the worst movie ever made. I had to turn it off after about 10 min. Dennis Quaid surely (not Shirley) didn't need the money that badly. :eek:

No I think there was a worse one, can't remember the name, but the guy had to actually go outside the plane in flight to close a door or something on the cowl. It was stoopid beyond anything you could imagine.

This is, arguably, the worst movie ever made. I had to turn it off after about 10 min. Dennis Quaid surely (not Shirley) didn't need the money that badly. :eek:

ha ha...I had never heard of that one, but just a week or so ago my wife was looking or a movie to watch and popped that one up on teh TV, thinking I might like it because it has planes in it..... yeah, I appreciated the gesture, but I don't think we made it 10 minutes in..... she was the first to say something....I was just holding my tongue.....

Hot Shots? That movie was awesome.

Nope, I looked it up it was called "Horizon Line" same thing, a vacationing couple in a Cessna 208 with a dead pilot and much ensuing stupidity.

a vacationing couple in a Cessna 208

Was it a 208 or the Australian GA8.?? I just looked at the trailer for the movie and it was too small for a Caravan.

I might watch the movie. To me the worse the movie the more I like it... :lol::lol:

I found it trite and hokey. Supposed to be inspirational, I suppose. Many of the flying bits make little sense, no surprise there. Actually nearly all of the flying hits make no sense. Not THE WORST thing I’ve ever seen, but it’s deep into the bottom 25%. Not just for the aerononsensical aspects either.

Nope, I looked it up it was called "Horizon Line" same thing, a vacationing couple in a Cessna 208 with a dead pilot and much ensuing stupidity.
Are you talking about the one where they crawl out onto the wing to pour whiskey into the fuel tank as their fuel is depleted?

My favorite is the Twilight Zone movie where the flying monster (or whatever) does in flight engine maintenance like a union Eastern Airlines mechanic!

The scene finishes playing the midnight special.

Preliminary is out.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/192300/pdf

Strange part to me, this aircraft was out of contact for almost two hours in some of the busiest airspace in the world, directly overflew Washington DC while NORDO, and was only intercepted two minutes before the final loss of control and crash.

"The pilot was unresponsive to several radio transmissions, intercept flight maneuvers, and flare deployments." Couldn't have been that many in just 2 minutes.

Preliminary is out.

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/192300/pdf

Strange part to me, this aircraft was out of contact for almost two hours in some of the busiest airspace in the world, directly overflew Washington DC while NORDO, and was only intercepted two minutes before the final loss of control and crash.

"The pilot was unresponsive to several radio transmissions, intercept flight maneuvers, and flare deployments." Couldn't have been that many in just 2 minutes.
Yes, it is strange considering how often we're told that violating sacrosanct airspace will result in being shot down. Even with tons of notice, this plane wasn't intercepted until it was clear of DC the second time.

Yes, it is strange considering how often we're told that violating sacrosanct airspace will result in being shot down. Even with tons of notice, this plane wasn't intercepted until it was clear of DC the second time.
I agree that the lack of radio transmissions should have raised more urgent alarm bells than what we got, but my understanding is that the SFRA was never actually violated throughout the ordeal.
Though I am only familiar with the procedures of actually entering the SFRA and not of flying above it. I don't think the SFRA training documents state that one must contact Potomac Approach when flying above FL180. But I'll never be at that point, so someone else may know?

I agree that the lack of radio transmissions should have raised more urgent alarm bells than what we got, but my understanding is that the SFRA was never actually violated throughout the ordeal.
Though I am only familiar with the procedures of actually entering the SFRA and not of flying above it. I don't think the SFRA training documents state that one must contact Potomac Approach when flying above FL180. But I'll never be at that point, so someone else may know?
Isn't above the SFRA Class A?

Back