Something Funny with DNS

Maverick

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jean
There was something strange going on tonight with DNS. I tried to visit earlier and couldn't resolve www.pilotsofamerica.com. I looked up the url using the whois on Networksolutions.com, got the DNS servers that pilotsofamerica.com uses, used nslookup and could not resolve www.pilotsofamerica.com with the comcast DNS servers, then I switched to the WSC1.Jomax.net DNS server and could resolve www.pilotsofamerica.com.

About half an hour later normal function seemed to have been restored. I don't know if there was something with the TTL and the Jomax DNS servers weren't propagating or what. I didn't have problems with any other site, just pilotsofamerica.

Jeannie

I've been seeing this a lot lately from Cox High-speed in Phoenix. Doesn't matter what the hostname is, either. No such hostname for www.yahoo.com, my office mailserver, PoA, a camera site I've been frequenting, a woodworking site, etc.. The reply is too fast for a true timeout, which makes it even weirder. Reset my DNS to my office system and the problem goes away.

Haven't been interested enough to try to trace it.

Same problem on my end, much different DNS servers, though....

One way to work around this is to manually edit your hosts file to fix the IP of pilotsofamerica.com locally so you bypass DNS.

It will be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc - the file is just called hosts - open it up in notepad and add the following at the end:
216.69.169.202 pilotsofamerica.com

That will tell your computer to bypass dns and go directly here.

Greebo said:
One way to work around this is to manually edit your hosts file to fix the IP of pilotsofamerica.com locally so you bypass DNS.

It will be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc - the file is just called hosts - open it up in notepad and add the following at the end:
216.69.169.202 pilotsofamerica.com

That will tell your computer to bypass dns and go directly here.

I'm well aware of how that's done but, when the problem existed I couldn't get to the board even by going to the IP address. When I tried it would redirect from the IP to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com and I would get the same message that the host could not be resolved. It's one of the strangest things I've seen and I've gotta tell you that's saying something. I manage a corporate network and I've seen some pretty goofy things.

That behavior lasted for about half an hour then suddenly everything was ok. I don't know how long the problem may have existed before I tried to logon.

Jeannie

Odd indeed - but as far as I know the problem wasn't on our end. :(

Greebo said:
Odd indeed - but as far as I know the problem wasn't on our end. :(

I don't think it was on your end either unless it had something to do with the Jomax DNS servers. It appeared to be a definite DNS strangeness issue.

Weird !! :dunno:

Jeannie

Back