Something better than FlightAware?

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
A quick question...

I'm sitting in the terminal at CVG trying to figure out what the status of my flight is. (AA4093, or EGF93). AA shows it as departed (4.09 CDT), but FA shows nothing yet. If AA.com is true (and isn't just listing "gate pushback time"), wouldn't that mean FA is now ~40 minutes behind reality?

Anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Andrew

I don't know for certain but I believe these delays exist on public access sources to information in the interest of security.

I think AA lied. It's en-route now.

Yeah, I just noticed that. FA shows a departure of 5:45 local.

Interestingly enough, the gate agent came on at 5:52 local and said "The plane has departed...", which just figures. I remember that really cool AOPA tool, which cost like $8 a month, but that has since disappeared :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

FlightAware is delayed 5 minutes by specific order from the FAA. If it doesn't show the flight has departed, and it still hasn't 5 minutes later, there's a good chance it hasn't departed.

FlightAware is delayed 5 minutes by specific order from the FAA. If it doesn't show the flight has departed, and it still hasn't 5 minutes later, there's a good chance it hasn't departed.

It isn't by specific order from the FAA... IIRC, when I took the tour a couple months ago, CEO Daniel Baker said that they could probably do it instantaneously, but it costs more to get that feed from the FAA and their customers have not indicated that they need anything faster than 5 minutes.

http://www.flightstats.com is one good site airline-wise.

I also understand that the AA cargo site is a pretty good tool for that airline... it shows 4093 was scheduled at 15:05, departed 16:09, and was wheels-up at 16:44. The delay was due to "operational reasons".

rotso ruck

http://www.flightstats.com is one good site airline-wise.

I also understand that the AA cargo site is a pretty good tool for that airline... it shows 4093 was scheduled at 15:05, departed 16:09, and was wheels-up at 16:44. The delay was due to "operational reasons".

rotso ruck

Same deal for www.ualcargo.com

Not a whole lot of detail, but probably enough in most instances.

It isn't by specific order from the FAA... IIRC, when I took the tour a couple months ago, CEO Daniel Baker said that they could probably do it instantaneously, but it costs more to get that feed from the FAA and their customers have not indicated that they need anything faster than 5 minutes.

Yes, but the FAA makes the pricing so outrageous for the instantaneous data, it has an ultimate effect of an FAA order. Passur is one of the only commercial vendors I know of that pays for the pricey stuff.

Like Jason said, FA is on a delay from ATC, and I'm pretty sure that's also based on when they pop up on the radar scope.

Chances are the info on AA's website is based on their "out" time (door closed/break released) not their "off" time (wheels in the well). With ACHARS equipped planes, the outs/off and ons/ins get sent to company as soon as they happen, and thus, I'd imagine, straight to the website.

Our "on time" departure is based on blocking out from the gate, not taking off, so that's the number the company is going to use, whenever possible, but not something flightaware would have access to. And in the era of two hour taxi times, AA may show the plane departing on time, but FA will show it two hours late.

Chances are the info on AA's website is based on their "out" time (door closed/break released) not their "off" time (wheels in the well).

And in the era of two hour taxi times, AA may show the plane departing on time, but FA will show it two hours late.

AA's passenger website, yes, AA's Cargo website (aacargo.com) shows much better data along with the reason for a delay.

Back