Someplace Entirely Different

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
Saturday morning and the sky is clear. Didn't get out yesterday, had our second Thanksgiving Dinner with our daughter who had to work Thursday at the hospital. So Saturday is my day to fly.

Headed for N99 Brandywine, PA, just under the Class B airspace of Philadephia, PA and home of the American Helicopter Museum. Sideways winds cost some time, 2.3 hrs down. The airport is very active with all sorts of aircraft. Privately owned airport, not county run makes a big difference. Very clean, and well run.

The Museum is on the opposite side of the runway from the FBO. You can not miss it, with the massive tilt rotor Osprey on display facing the runway. Not exactly the largest museum however it was very interesting and learned much about our distant cousin, the helicopter.

IF you think early aviators were brave souls, you should look at the machines early helicopter pilots strapped themselves into. Complex to fly and tedious to maintain, helicopters found a natural home in the armed forces changing the way we go to war forever.

My hats off the the designers of these intricate machines and to the pilots who fly them.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• Brandywine, PA N99.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 34
That's a really wierd looking helicopter in slide 12 there! Sounds like you had a great time there!

Nice pics Gary. I learned to fly there. I now fly out off KILG but get back there to keep the landing skills sharp.

Did you notice in the Osprey all the signed parts? The workforce initialed the parts as they assembled. A friend of mine worked on that aircraft (at KILG) and his kids love to search for his assembly "parts".

That last photo looks like Bob's Robinson (RotaryWingBob)

Last edited:
Glad you enoyed our airport and museum!

Your last picture looks like Tom Passalaqua's R22 which he does instruction in. His hangar is between the hangar where we keep our R22 and another hangar where we keep our R44.

Nice pictures.

Gary,

I did not notice the signatures on the parts inside the Osprey. A very good friend of mine just happened to land at Brandywine the day the Osprey flew in. The military brought in their own fire and safety team. John got to watch the arrival in person. Tremendous technology.

Gary Gembala

N99 is a great airport. I rented out of there before I bought a plane. This is a success story for airport development as the surrounding business park wanted to swallow up N99 a few years ago and they avoided another one biting the dust.

The helo museum is well worth the trip.

Back