Some tidbits on radar

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
There was a particularly nasty-looking radar mosaic tonight, which aside from "HAIL" notations also showed "MESO" which I'd seen before but didn't know what it was, and "TVS" which I hadn't seen.

FWIW, MESO = mesocyclone and TVS = Tornado Vortex Signature. :hairraise:

But in the process of learning this I stumbled across an interesting page that explains some things about weather radar:

http://weather.unisys.com/radar/details.html

Attachments

• natrad.gif
    natrad.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 39
yea thats probably one of the most amazing lines of Tstorms ive ever seen. What? 1500 miles long? I bet the lift in front of it is amazing.

yea thats probably one of the most amazing lines of Tstorms ive ever seen. What? 1500 miles long? I bet the lift in front of it is amazing.

Well... What are we waiting for? Let's go! :yes: :hairraise:

(Hey, y'know, we will have the 396 along...)

My friend is a storm chaser. We just got home from the storms in northwest Kansas. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. We saw five tornados. One was on the ground for an hour. It was huge! 1/2 to 1 mile wide. Our footage was supposed to be sent in to Good Morning America for tomorrow, but after we looked at the tapes, it had gotten too dark and the camera didn't capture the better tornado very well. Very disappointing, but quite an amazing show.

Tornado and severe t-storm warnings on the eastern Colorado prairies last evening ... work up to snow this morning ... coming down hard right now ... the old addage about "if you don't like the weather in Colorado just wait a few minutes and it will change" certainly is holding true this spring ... from 70s to snow ...

Back