Some things I learned about aviation today

MadseasoN

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MadseasoN
There are two petroleum engineers that sit near my cube at work. These guys are more entertainment than you could ask for because they know EVERYTHING! They were talking about the 777 accident today. Here's what I learned:

The airport was to blame for the accident since "the glide slope" was out.
The glide slope was out because of a cut in funding (I won't elaborate on their political comments).
The "glide slope" is the "one" embedded in the runway.
There was absolutely no coordination in the rescue efforts.
Being cleared for a visual approach doesn't matter, they still need all the help they can get.
Pilots should always use autoland. What really is the problem with them not doing this?!

I tried to inteject once, I learned quite a bit more at this point:
"Glide slope" is on "big planes" (I fly small planes so my comments were irrelevant to the conversation).
Pilots shouldn't be required to speak English.

I just walked away. How can people be so ignorant?

I have had similar conversations about that "Glide Slope"....

Yep....classic low-information folks...which is why we have the politicians we have!

I'm getting tired of hearing about Glide Slope too. Always referred to as a proper noun like it's some product, and never as "the" glide slope.

"Ted, what would you do if you were landing your plane and Glide Slope failed?"

"Ted, is a plane like yours compatible with Glide Slope?"

and so on.

They learned all they know from the television news. Jaywalk all-stars

I'm getting tired of hearing about Glide Slope too. Always referred to as a proper noun like it's some product, and never as "the" glide slope.

"Ted, what would you do if you were landing your plane and Glide Slope failed?"

"Ted, is a plane like yours compatible with Glide Slope?"

and so on.

Yeah someone asked me yesterday, if I "would have even tried to land, if the airport had turned off 'Glide Slope'".

I didnt know where to begin...

Yeah someone asked me yesterday, if I "would have even tried to land, if the airport had turned off 'Glide Slope'".

I didnt know where to begin...

I'd tell them a war story, like how our entire flight wing was forced to land at Macho Grande with no Glide Slope. We all made it except Lieutenant Zip.

They were exaggerating as is too commonly done. Glide Slope was there, just over-lubricated.

Imagine what the non-college-educated in a hard science are saying.

The way to stop them would have been to ask politely...

"Hey, do you guys remember when the BP spill was going on?"

"Yeah."

"Do you remember listening to people talk about it who had no clue whatsoever?"

"Yeah."

"When it comes to Aviation, you are those people."

LOL...

We've already had the red board thread blaming Obama for the crash.
I'm not even going to get started.

On the radio last night - something about the stick shaker vibrating to indicate that the engines were about to stall.

(I normally avoid "news" stations, but M24, M39 and I-75 all were closed at some point due to flooding and I was trying to figure out how to get home with the minimum hassle.)

On the radio last night - something about the stick shaker vibrating to indicate that the engines were about to stall.

I was looking for news on the accident on the web shortly after it happened, and ran across a printed version of that. The first few paragraphs were well-written, and then I ran across something to effect of "the pilots got a warning 7 seconds before the crash that the engines were about to stall" and I just closed the link and went back to searching for decent news.

There are two petroleum engineers that sit near my cube at work. These guys are more entertainment than you could ask for because they know EVERYTHING!

I'm glad that people realize that petroleum engineers (and engineers in general) do know everything. Thanks for sharing this vital information so that other people will realize engineers have such fantastic knowledge!

Imagine what the non-college-educated in a hard science are saying.

The way to stop them would have been to ask politely...

"Hey, do you guys remember when the BP spill was going on?"

"Yeah."

"Do you remember listening to people talk about it who had no clue whatsoever?"

"Yeah."

"When it comes to Aviation, you are those people."

LOL...

That's awesome. I'm gonna use that! Thanks.

Whadya know, a couple guys convinced they know everything despite a lack of information. No one like that around here.

Whadya know, a couple guys convinced they know everything despite a lack of information. No one like that around here.

Absolutely! You've already figured out the Martin / Zimmerman case without any. ;)

(I normally avoid "news" stations, but M24, M39 and I-75 all were closed at some point due to flooding and I was trying to figure out how to get home with the minimum hassle.)

Maybe they got it from the "aviation attorney" interviewed by the Sacramento Bee...he said pretty much the same thing. He also said that almost all airplane crashes are fatal, whereas Ms Hersman said that most crashes are survivable. Don't think that I would hire him to defend me in an aviation case.

Bob Gardner

And the calling an aviation attorney for an interview is as stupid a source as calling a personal injury attorney about a car crash on the freeway. LOL

I'm glad that people realize that petroleum engineers (and engineers in general) do know everything. Thanks for sharing this vital information so that other people will realize engineers have such fantastic knowledge!

Anything we don't know we can just make up. Just don't expect us to admit it!!!

Numerous sub-specialties within aviation law. Many of them are not litigators.

And the calling an aviation attorney for an interview is as stupid a source as calling a personal injury attorney about a car crash on the freeway. LOL

Numerous sub-specialties within aviation law. Many of them are not litigators.

All the more reason not to call one as an accident speculator on the TV.

But they need something to fill all that air time between now and at least a year from now when the report comes out.

They're shaking all the bushes. I got an email from a California producer wanting me to participate in today's segment of their ongoing show about the accident. I wasn't the right guy for the subject of today's show so I declined.

All the more reason not to call one as an accident speculator on the TV.

But they need something to fill all that air time between now and at least a year from now when the report comes out.

They're shaking all the bushes. I got an email from a California producer wanting me to participate in today's segment of their ongoing show about the accident. I wasn't the right guy for the subject of today's show so I declined.

Per his FB post, they sucked Max Trescott in today. Haven't watched it yet. As an automation teacher, they might have actually hit someone who knows something, but perhaps not the best for Transport Category.

And as he pointed out, the interview was long but they'd only use about 1:30 of it. Gotta hurry back to the clueless talking heads... ;)

Back