Some quick buttons and switches questions (pictures)

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Hey guys, I have some quick questions relating to buttons and switches I was hoping you could help with!

1. What's the "Instr." instrument light do? Is that just a toggle to use at night to activate backlights on all of the instruments on the panel?

Screen-Shot-2020-06-28-at-1-27-57-AM.png

2. What's the A. Pilot Master and EFIS EMS buttons do? Am I correct in assuming these are basically kill switches for the AP and the dual Dynon displays and achieve the same thing as pulling the circuit breakers for those components? Is there any purpose for the A Pilot Master other than if the AP goes haywire and you want to hand fly the airplane? And is there any purpose for the EFIS EMS button other than either (a) wanting to reset the displays without turning off the master or (b) if you're trying to fly on minimal battery load and are keeping the displays off for the majority of the flight?

3. What's the purpose of the trim switch allowing you to switch trim control from left to right? Why/when would you want to do that? Is the only purpose of that so that a non-pilot passenger couldn't screw up your trim? If so, seems a bit lame because they could screw up a lot more by having the whole control stick over there.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-28-at-1-27-41-AM.png

4. Lastly, what's the reason for having an Avionics Master button? Why doesn't that turn on when you toggle the master? What's the reason for there being a separate master for the avionics? You almost always want your avionics on within a couple of minutes of turning your master on anyway, right, so that would only save a couple minutes of draw on the battery if battery drain is the chief concern there. And any healthy battery should be providing at least 30 minutes of engine off all electronics on power anyway, right? Just seems odd to me because it would be like having a separate power switch in your car for your radio and navigation system in addition to the main turn-on button. Am I thinking about this wrong? Is there some reason other than battery drain that the avionics are on a separate power switch?

Thanks in advance!

For #4 it is useful to have the avionics off when you engage the starter to prevent voltage surges/drops from harming your avionics stack. You answered most of the others yourself.

AP usually has 3-4 ways to “disengage”: button on yoke, trim switch on yoke, master, and pulling a breaker. Read the AFM for the AP to determine what is needed in that particular AP.

Back