Some people are A-holes!!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just have to vent a little steam.

Last Saturday my cousins husband was felling ill and had red spots on his legs. He had been treated for leukemia about a year ago and was thought to be in remission. These spots were a bad omen. She called the doctor and they took him to the hospital for some platelets. While on the way there he suffered a stroke and soon after arrival in the hospital he was in a coma. It was related to the return of his leukemia. The stroke was major and he had no chance for recovery so life support was removed and he died.

We had the wake on Wednesday night and the funeral on Thursday. While we were at the wake my cousin's house was broken into, ransacked, and robbed. His fathers house was also robbed. I had heard of this before but had not even thought about it this time.

I just cannot imagine what goes through the minds of such low lifes that they would go and rob the houses of people much less to prey on people who have just suffered such a loss.

Sorry to hear of your experience Scott!!

There have been times in my life when I just prayed I caught someone doing something like this!! Luckily, I never have; therefore, I'm still a free man.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
....There have been times in my life when I just prayed I caught someone doing something like this!! Luckily, I never have....

What he said.

Sorry you and the bereaved family had such a horrible experience.

terry

That's why we always get people to house sit when there's a funeral announcement in the family. This stuff happens a lot. Another reason not to put funeral announcements in the paper.

that makes me very sad. Its not right, especially since it certainly looks like someone knew y'all'd be away.

I'm sorry. Really sorry.

oh my God that's awful. I have never heard of this and wouldn't have thought it possible. never ceases to amaze me what scum bags some people can be.

Watching over houses for families who have posted events such as wakes/funerals and weddings is nearly ½ of the business of the local security guard companies. I understand business is business, but I almost feel that these companies are doing basically the same thing as the mutts that break in and rob the families.

Our condolences to the bereaved families. We wish them the best in their time of sorrow.

TDKendall said:
Watching over houses for families who have posted events such as wakes/funerals and weddings is nearly ½ of the business of the local security guard companies. I understand business is business, but I almost feel that these companies are doing basically the same thing as the mutts that break in and rob the families.

Our condolences to the bereaved families. We wish them the best in their time of sorrow.

I gotta say - I literally never heard of this before. unbelievable.

smigaldi said:
I just have to vent a little steam.

Last Saturday my cousins husband was felling ill and had red spots on his legs. He had been treated for leukemia about a year ago and was thought to be in remission. These spots were a bad omen. She called the doctor and they took him to the hospital for some platelets. While on the way there he suffered a stroke and soon after arrival in the hospital he was in a coma. It was related to the return of his leukemia. The stroke was major and he had no chance for recovery so life support was removed and he died.

We had the wake on Wednesday night and the funeral on Thursday. While we were at the wake my cousin's house was broken into, ransacked, and robbed. His fathers house was also robbed. I had heard of this before but had not even thought about it this time.

I just cannot imagine what goes through the minds of such low lifes that they would go and rob the houses of people much less to prey on people who have just suffered such a loss.

My wife had a good suggestion... have your local police department put a fake funeral listing in the paper... and then stake out the houses of the "relatives" that were listed as survivors of the deceased, and catch these scumbags.

woodstock said:
I gotta say - I literally never heard of this before. unbelievable.
It's a common technique that's been used for years. Not as unusual as it should be, sadly enough.

Troy Whistman said:
My wife had a good suggestion... have your local police department put a fake funeral listing in the paper... and then stake out the houses of the "relatives" that were listed as survivors of the deceased, and catch these scumbags.
and then those poor poor "victims" and their sleazeball ambulance chasing lawyers will scream "ENTRAPMENT" and then the fun REALLY begins...

Brian Austin said:
It's a common technique that's been used for years. Not as unusual as it should be, sadly enough.

Worse than the Bible salesman who shows up a few days after the funeral with the top of the line, gold-embossed books that the deceased ordered a couple of weeks before his/her death.

gkainz said:
and then those poor poor "victims" and their sleazeball ambulance chasing lawyers will scream "ENTRAPMENT" and then the fun REALLY begins...
No, they wouldn't - it's so far away from entrapment that they wouldn't even think of it - plus it's the sort of skeezy behavior that would generate a plea, right off the bat.

gkainz said:

It's not entrapment though and they would lose. Heck when a lawyer has nothing else to scream, he has to say something even if they know it won't work.

gkainz said:

Its clear you don't know much about the law!

1) Ambulance chasers is a derrogatory name for Personal Injury attorneys Not criminal defense attorneys
2) Its not entrapment
3) Who really gives a crap how some one would defend this. The plane fact is Smigaldi's cousins got hit while they were way down the creep that did this should pay big time. Samething happened to a local Marine who died in Iraq last year. Creeps broke into his apartment and stole his computer. They got caught. They pled guilty he went away for a VERY VERY VERY long time. I like Troys idea.

And my condolences to your familyl.

I've heard of people using this technique for apartment hunting, but never for robery. It's something to keep in mind...

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

AdamZ said:
Quite clear! What wasn't clear was my cynical attempt at levity in light of a personal tragedy. My apologies to the group and condolences to the family.

AdamZ said:

1) Ambulance chasers is a derrogatory name for Personal Injury attorneys Not criminal defense attorneys
2) Its not entrapment
3) Who really gives a crap how some one would defend this. The plane fact is Smigaldi's cousins got hit while they were way down the creep that did this should pay big time. Samething happened to a local Marine who died in Iraq last year. Creeps broke into his apartment and stole his computer. They got caught. They pled guilty he went away for a VERY VERY VERY long time. I like Troys idea.

And my condolences to your familyl.

well, technically, if they catch them AND beat the crap out of them, then, the scumbags lawyer COULD be an ambulance chaser.

gkainz said:

Not if they're found dead...
Or at least go with Beth's suggestion.

Scott, my condolences.

That is an old scam. And really unfortunate. There are others like it, so beware.

Folks, I know we like to post about where we're going and when, but remember this is a public forum. That means the criminal element can read our plans as easily as we can. Use caution when you post your plans, and relegate details to email or private messages.

A few years ago, there was a ring of folks that would listen in to cellular phone calls and steal credit card info. Others would listen for travel plans, and use those plans to break into houses.

Sigh.

I'd heard of it, but I admit it wouldn't have occurred to me to hire a security person. If I ever find myself in this situation, I will. Most of the people whose funerals I would go to here are friends, not relatives, so that wouldn't be a danger, and most of my relatives live so far away that their funeral notices wouldn't be known here, so I'm probably not in much danger, but it sure does raise my consciousness for my friends here who also have relatives here. Sigh. I wish the depths to which people sink would surprise me still, but it doesn't.

Judy

Back