Some other thoughts on Reputation...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I've gotten a few emails in the last couple of days expressing concerns over receiving negative reputation remarks from anonymous people.

Now while I appreciate those concerns, and while the Reputation system is still in a sort of trial period, I think its important to note that the Reputation System is intended as a means of providing honest feedback, positive or negative.

If you engage in a discussion which has the potential to be emotionally charged - such as one concerning politics, or religion, or sexuality or child rearing or socio-economics, etc., or even posts concerning activity on other message boards, and you take a strong position, you should expect that some people will not appreciate your comments and respond with negative feedback. In short, if you play with fire and get burned for it, the Management will not intervene. If you make a post that is likely to generate strong feelings from others, you will have to accept the consequences.

And I strongly advise against assuming you know who left you negative reputation. Speculation will do you no good as we will not disclose the identities, and frankly, if we did, some of you would be shocked to find out who really gave you a negative hit - so just forget it. We'll all be happier that way. :)

Its also important to point out that leaving reputation is not really anonymous! Oh, the person to whom you give reputation (or take it from) will not know who you are, but the management regularly reviews the reputation system for signs of possible abuse, and we know who leaves the feedback. We have not had a problem with it, to date, but I feel its important to point out that even when leaving negative feedback, one should take care to express your feedback in the form of a constructive criticism. Seeming anonymity is not an excuse to make direct personal attacks or otherwise abuse the reputation system and violate the rules of conduct.

I think that just about covers it. Like I said - haven't had any real problems with anyone to date other than a few emails from people who got dinged - but again its important to remember not to take reputation too seriously. :)

Last edited:
Back