Some observations on landing at OSH

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
watching this YT vid on landing at OSH

few observations:

most pilots have greaser landings but...

-- saw tail draggers land with tail first
-- porpoise landing by 177 (i think, or may be a 182)
-- some just lands with all 3 wheels at the same time, goes back in air and then settle

i am feeling good about my landings :p. i always compare my landings with my CFI's landing and needless to say, mine are all crap when compared with 9000 hr pro pilot. may be i shud stop thinking...

If you were mentioning the porpoise of the white with orange and black trim Cezzna there was a strut.

John Glenn's Baron at 5:15

All of the landings looked pretty respectable to me.

3:38 is just an example of trying to land the airplane before it's done flying.

That's good. Touch down with the tail slightly before the mains and the AOA decreases.
ha, I was under the impression that you land on mains and then lower the tail

ha, I was under the impression that you land on mains and then lower the tail

You can, those are called wheel landings. Touch down on the mains in a near-level attitude and apply forward stick. Full-stall landings, often called 3-point landings, work best, IMHO, if they're actually 1-point landings.

Too many people try to actually touch the dot who aren't practiced in spot landings, instead of just landing near it in a safe and controlled fashion. There's plenty of room between you and the next dot if you're the trailing dot, and you have the entire rest of the runway at the far dot.

Saw a guy nose down his T-craft and turn a nice wooden prop into a collection of toothpicks and an engine tear down a couple of years ago, and he was the only guy landing on the runway.

Folks who are out of practice need to know they don't need to force it on just to hit that paint.

It always makes me laugh that rolling 6" past a line at a normal airport is a runway incursion but at Oshkosh they're landing 3 planes at the same time on the same runway. Thanks for the video though. Nice to see how it's done for those of us who have never attended.

A) There is a reason that I don't fly to places where there is likely to be someone recording landings.

B) Three points seem to be the preferred method for both tail and nose wheel pilots, but a few chose to land on the mains first.

My two flight into OSH in a canard were both jerked around by ATC who didn't seem to understand my few limitations. First time wanted me to expedite my base to final on 27 and hit a dot I had a hell of a time slowing down for. Second time was a speed up then shorten my approach to 36 with a last second change to the taxiway to the right. Managed all three requests but not easy.

First one on 27 at 1:38: http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1738801255
And the guy's quote just before is SO true!

Last edited:
Saw a guy nose down his T-craft and turn a nice wooden prop into a collection of toothpicks and an engine tear down a couple of years ago, and he was the only guy landing on the runway.
Tower: "Taylorcraft I need you to land on the green dot sir, continue down 18R and land green dot please, right there in front of you and welcome to Oshk....Ehh."

All jokes aside, that would have to be the most humiliating thing to happen, upon landing at the air show.

Tower: "Taylorcraft I need you to land on the green dot sir, continue down 18R and land green dot please, right there in front of you and welcome to Oshk....Ehh."

All jokes aside, that would have to be the most humiliating thing to happen, upon landing at the air show.

"Blue and white Cessna, go around, Bonanza go around, attention all aircraft Oshkosh runway 26 is closed. Blue and white Cessna make a right crosswind turn, re-enter the downwind, we're going to get you in on 18, Bonanza, same thing, follow the Blue and White Cessna, give him some room you're going to be number two for Runway 18 now..." etc.

The controllers at OSH do an amazing job.

long ways from going to OSH, but just the sheer number of stuff flying around so tightly and the constant chatter on radio is having me cringe ...

It always makes me laugh that rolling 6" past a line at a normal airport is a runway incursion but at Oshkosh they're landing 3 planes at the same time on the same runway. Thanks for the video though. Nice to see how it's done for those of us who have never attended.

Never been there but how far apart are those dots? For full stop landings for small (less than 12,500 lbs) aircraft, if the dots are 3000' apart - completely legal.

One thing I notice is how many of times you see the elevator or stabilator droop right after touching down, as the pilot releases the back pressure after the wheels touch. I was always taught to fly the aircraft all the way to the hangar/tie-down.

"Blue and white Cessna, go around, Bonanza go around, attention all aircraft Oshkosh runway 26 is closed. Blue and white Cessna make a right crosswind turn, re-enter the downwind, we're going to get you in on 18, Bonanza, same thing, follow the Blue and White Cessna, give him some room you're going to be number two for Runway 18 now..." etc.

Yes they do. Phenomenal skill and talent.

long ways from going to OSH, but just the sheer number of stuff flying around so tightly and the constant chatter on radio is having me cringe ...

There's a lot more order to it than chaos, as long as everyone reads, understands, and follows the NOTAM.

20170725_133019-600x365.jpg

Never been there but how far apart are those dots? For full stop landings for small (less than 12,500 lbs) aircraft, if the dots are 3000' apart - completely legal.
They are 1500 ft apart. They have waivers to use 1/2 the normal runway separation and to position and hold multiple aircraft and a few other things.

Last edited:

I was watching an Oshkosh show on the tube years ago and they showed a few ATC scenes. About crapped when I saw a guy I was stationed with in the AIr Force when we both were controllers. Pretty cool, think he was there from Chicago Approach if I remember correctly

I assume you guys left today. I was in the Citation across the runway from you while you were taking off around 7:30, and then never saw you again.
Hi, Dave. I'd say you had a speedier journey than we did. Although we did have a cabin the size of a living room to relax in. That 7:30 flight was a VIP flight for six SAFE instructors, all who got left seat time in the Gold Seal DC-3. We managed to squeeze out our final departure just before the morning airshow started.

Hi, Dave. I'd say you had a speedier journey than we did. Although we did have a cabin the size of a living room to relax in. That 7:30 flight was a VIP flight for six SAFE instructors, all who got left seat time in the Gold Seal DC-3. We managed to squeeze out our final departure just before the morning airshow started.

Yeah, I may have gotten home quicker, but I would have rather been in a DC-3. Sounds like you guys had a great week.

Back