Some holiday baking

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Had meant to post this earlier, but I've been staying away from my computer so well over Christmas that it didn't happen. Over the past two weeks, I did some baking.

1) A pecan pie. I mention this one because I had mixed up all the pie filling, had the homemade crust rolled out and then realized I didn't have a 9" pie plate. Some quick math confirmed that a 1/8 sheet pan was only a little bit smaller, so on that day....Pie Are Squared. Or at least Rectangled.

2) Made a pecan kringle using the recipe from O&H bakery in Racine. Taste wise it was fantastic and not bad in the overall category too. This is the first time I ever tried to make one and I learned several things. The recipe makes two, this one is in the freezer right now for a party on the 16th, I'll report back how well it froze.

3) Just a loaf of simple white bread. Like most homemade bread, it lasted all of 24 hours. Why is homemade bread so good?

Everything made from 100% scratch - this all started with flour and butter from the pantry.

So, what did you all make?

Attachments

• hb1.JPG
    hb1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
  • hb2.JPG
    hb2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • hb3.JPG
    hb3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
I baked a chocolate cake for New Years Eve. Didn't get eaten, we were all full. That's OK, I hosted brunch on New Years Day. Didn't get eaten, all full. Damn thing is still sitting uncut in my kitchen. Might make bread pudding of it.

I got my wife a bread machine last year for Christmas. She baked a few loaves but didn't really like how they turned out - too dense, not much flavor - and the thing sat unused in a kitchen cabinet for most of this year.

On a whim, she tried some different procedures around Thanksgiving: proofing the yeast before adding the rest of the ingredients, letting the dough rise a second time outside the bread machine, and baking the loaf in a bread pan in the oven. That made a world of difference - the aroma fills the house while baking, and the result is as light and flavorful as you could wish. We've only bought one commercially baked loaf since Thanksgiving, and that was seedless rye for her mother. All our bread is now baked at home.

I got my wife a bread machine last year for Christmas. She baked a few loaves but didn't really like how they turned out - too dense, not much flavor - and the thing sat unused in a kitchen cabinet for most of this year.

Been using bread machines for decades, and been making sourdough loaves for years. Got my starter right here on POA. My loaves don't rise too well, but that's because they're all whole grains or near to it. Still, haven't bought a commercially produced loaf of bread in ages.

Around our house it's cookies. This year I made Butterfinger cookies, chocolate sugar cookies, chocolate chip (of course), Andes Mint stuffed sugar cookies, white chocolate and strawberry cookies. And the final ones that were by far the most popular: Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles. Holy crap those were good.

So, after you proof the yeast can that very package of yeast be used in the recipe, or it is merely evidence that the rest of that batch is ok?

Made shortbread cookies with maraschino cherries atop.

I'm the 'bread man' in the family and make bread and home made dinner rolls for special occasions. The dinner roll recipe is from my late aunt who was a farm girl. It's always a hit.

No bread machine for me. I have the large Kitchen Aid mixer to do the heavy work.

So, after you proof the yeast can that very package of yeast be used in the recipe, or it is merely evidence that the rest of that batch is ok?

Made shortbread cookies with maraschino cherries atop.

Yes, you can use the yeast. Just before adding the liquid, use some of the liquid from your recipe to proof it in. Warm the liquid to about 110 F. If you see bubbles form after about 5 minutes, it's good. Pour the proofed yeast and liquid into the dough when you add the wet ingredients.

We used to bake bread in a machine several, several years ago, one of the first models from Breadman. The bread was good, but a whole grain bread will make a dense and heavy loaf, as will many other things (cold water, dying yeast, etc).

Today we just buy most of the bread, but I like to remind myself that I can bake it if I have to. Some flour, salt and a liquid and I can probably manage something, although without yeast you have to take some time to grow the starter.

We used to bake bread in a machine several, several years ago, one of the first models from Breadman. The bread was good, but a whole grain bread will make a dense and heavy loaf, as will many other things (cold water, dying yeast, etc).

Yeah, I can see why people began milling flour. But my breads are far healthier than white loaves, and far yummier than any you can buy in a store. I've come to appreciate the texture, and now disdain soft white breads. Just isn't bread anymore.

Anyone know how to make a good eggbread?

A brioche or more like a challah?

I made brioche a few years back and it turned out really well, but I've never done challah. Maybe something to try next.

Good recipes abound. I made sourdough Hawaiian dinner rolls for Thanksgiving, boy did they turn out good.

Like I said, I can see why people started backing with milled flour.

Pecan pie from scratch with my mothers recipe. Picked the pecans off the tree in my yard on a Monday and shelled them just prior to baking on Weds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Made whole-wheat/oat sourdough biscuits for dinner. I make this combination again I'm adding some sweetener.

Friend of mine made a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. It was great and I asked what was in it. When she told me I realized it was the filling for sweet potato pie.

Back