Some disappointing news today

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
So I'm headed out to fly and finish up the rest of my checkride prep today so that I can try to be done by Sunday and when I get there I find out that the plane is down for maintenance till tomorrow afternoon and then some guy is taking it to Oklahoma for the weekend. Now it will be two more weeks before I can do it because I'm flying to Austin on Monday and won't be back until the 25th. I was hoping to fly my parents around while I was down in Austin, guess not.

Bummer. Just like flying cross country, sometimes things just don't go your way. Come up with plan "B".

Last edited:
Yea, I figure I'll just get checked out to fly the planes they have in Austin and continue flying solo until I get back. I heard that our examiner is pretty critical of people with minimum hours so it may work out better coming in with 60 hrs or more.

So I'm headed out to fly and finish up the rest of my checkride prep today so that I can try to be done by Sunday and when I get there I find out that the plane is down for maintenance till tomorrow afternoon and then some guy is taking it to Oklahoma for the weekend. Now it will be two more weeks before I can do it because I'm flying to Austin on Monday and won't be back until the 25th. I was hoping to fly my parents around while I was down in Austin, guess not.
If you're around and free on a Friday to go check out the area and try a different airplane, give me a call. Same offer as before.

I'm not going to be in Austin until Monday. I will probably be giving you a call sometime while I'm down there though just to meet up and have someone to talk planes with. Do you live north, south, or central?

I'm not going to be in Austin until Monday. I will probably be giving you a call sometime while I'm down there though just to meet up and have someone to talk planes with. Do you live north, south, or central?
From what you said before, I was thinking next Friday, the 15th. I'm south of downtown and at the airport most every other day.

We may have to go check out the pizza place PJ and I were referred to. It was pretty good stuff.

I will be getting in at 7:30 on the 11th. I have a lovely 6:30 a.m. departure, ugh, I can't wait to own my own plane. I am always down for some good pizza.

That sounds like an interesting conversation was going on there. A little too much history there for my 3 day old account.

Yea, I figure I'll just get checked out to fly the planes they have in Austin and continue flying solo until I get back. I heard that our examiner is pretty critical of people with minimum hours so it may work out better coming in with 60 hrs or more.

If you are going to spend the money to get checked out bring your parents along.

So I went to one of the flight schools in Georgetown today and talked with their instructors. They seem to think that I would have no problem taking my checkride within the week if I wanted to down here. I had a few questions about that, I will be flying basically the same plane and will make sure to be beyond comfortable with it before I attempt the checkride but is it better to do the checkride in the same plane that I did my training for any reason? Also, I sort of feel like I owe it to my instructor to go through him for my checkout. Is there anything that he would benefit from by me taking it with him and I should have a loyalty to him signing me off or is it just the same to do it here? Plus it would be cheaper and they say the examiner is a little easier going down here.

Wait, your instructor was going to be your designated examiner too :confused: Or are you saying that he was going to endorse you for your checkride?

Back