Some basis/background for SDR

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
This post is really for @weirdjim who was asking a while back about software defined radio.

Jim, this guy (W2AEW) does a nice job setting the stage for how two quadrature sine waves can be used to basically define a wide range of "traditional" and also newer non-traditional RF signals, which also gives a good basis on how/why SDR has become so popular as the ADC and DAC hardware has gotten really cheap.

If you check out his follow on videos he then goes into actually making some "traditional" RF modulation types with the method in the video, which shows how a cheap digital system could also drive those I & Q values (or read them for de-modulation).

Was just poking through my usual haunts on YT and ran into his new stuff on this and for us analog guys, it is a nice walk into how the digital can both drive and receive the analog signal in any number of ways. (No pun intended with "number" of course!) ;)

Thought you might enjoy. Figured I'd stick it here in public for the rest of geekdom to enjoy also.

Back