Some advice needed...

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
Ok, so I am 37. Back in 2009 I had fantasized about possibly becoming an air line pilot and changing careers. Since then I have realized that although I do want a career in aviation, being an airline pilot is not going to work out for me. Instead, I am going to get my A&P at a local college (for mostly free thanks to state lottery sales;)) But I still have the passion to fly, so I still want to get my SEL...and have fun flying...

So all that being said, in January of 2010 I got a gift of some seed money from my Grandma, added that to some money from my tax returns and jumped into lessons. By June i had 20 hours and did my first solo. Problem is I was out of money :(
I did a lot of soul searching and realized to be able to do this thing right, I needed to be able to do it without worrying about money...in other words, HAVE the money already saved up. The only way to do that is to pay off my debt, and save up the money.
So I am close to that goal...I am pretty sure i will be able to jump back in next March and finish.

So, finally my question...
Between now and then what can i do, short of actually flying, to keep me sharp so the recovery time won't be so bad when i get started again? I have thought about just doing a discovery flight every other month or so...this would also have the benefit of letting me try out all the different FBO's in the area to decide which one to use, as i will probably not go back to the same one.

Thanks in advance.

Try putting a notice on the bulletin board at your local FBO that briefly explains your plight and that you will trade X # of dollars for gas money for some right seat time with other pilots.

Might work.

-John

Ok, so I am 37. Back in 2009 I had fantasized about possibly becoming an air line pilot and changing careers. Since then I have realized that although I do want a career in aviation, being an airline pilot is not going to work out for me. Instead, I am going to get my A&P at a local college (for mostly free thanks to state lottery sales;)) But I still have the passion to fly, so I still want to get my SEL...and have fun flying...

So all that being said, in January of 2010 I got a gift of some seed money from my Grandma, added that to some money from my tax returns and jumped into lessons. By June i had 20 hours and did my first solo. Problem is I was out of money :(
I did a lot of soul searching and realized to be able to do this thing right, I needed to be able to do it without worrying about money...in other words, HAVE the money already saved up. The only way to do that is to pay off my debt, and save up the money.
So I am close to that goal...I am pretty sure i will be able to jump back in next March and finish.

Between now and then what can i do, short of actually flying, to keep me sharp so the recovery time won't be so bad when i get started again? I have thought about just doing a discovery flight every other month or so...this would also have the benefit of letting me try out all the different FBO's in the area to decide which one to use, as i will probably not go back to the same one.

Thanks in advance.

I buy old VHS tapes on eBay. I have about 300 of them now, Sporty's, King, and many more. I pay as little as $2 each for them. I was watching on a little 13" TV/VCR combo but recently sprung for a nice Toshiba VCR/DVDR HDMI-out unit and a small Samsung LCD TV. Watch some tapes and keep your mind in the game. In addition to PPL training tapes, the Sporty's Air Facts series is best, IMHO. King Take-Off videos are OK, too. They are all good, IMO.

Where are you located?

Try putting a notice on the bulletin board at your local FBO that briefly explains your plight and that you will trade X # of dollars for gas money for some right seat time with other pilots.

Might work.

-John

See this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48608

It is easy to get rides but I am concerned about him picking up bad habits or failing to learn good habits. I would recommend that he talk to his prospective instructor and see if he can set him up with someone.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely start checking out the FBO's. There is a good tape from Sporty's on how to choose a good school. They conclude that the only good school is Sporty's Academy (joke).

Since you are working toward becoming an A&P, see if an FBO will let you barter some help around the shop for dry time in the airplane. That will save you at least 1/3 of the dual cost and you will get some experience.

Thanks for all the advice...the "trading mech work" idea sounds intriguing, but I don't start school until August, and it will probably be awhile before I know enough to have something to bartar with...but I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for all the advice...the "trading mech work" idea sounds intriguing, but I don't start school until August, and it will probably be awhile before I know enough to have something to bartar with...but I will keep it in mind.

Can you push a broom?

I will give it my best effort!:wink2:

Not a joke, either. I have little doubt that some FBO that has a flight school and a shop both will work something out with you so that you can get an hour here and there for the price of gas and the instructor seeing as you want to be a pilot and an A&P both. Even discount the instructor.

Push a broom, run parts, clean airplanes, provide an extra hand to the mechanic(s). All those are worth something.

I buy old VHS tapes on eBay. I have about 300 of them now, Sporty's, King, and many more. I pay as little as $2 each for them. I was watching on a little 13" TV/VCR combo but recently sprung for a nice Toshiba VCR/DVDR HDMI-out unit and a small Samsung LCD TV. Watch some tapes and keep your mind in the game. In addition to PPL training tapes, the Sporty's Air Facts series is best, IMHO. King Take-Off videos are OK, too. They are all good, IMO.

If you would allow it, I would like to send you an envelope (prepaid). I have a VHS and would love to borrow a tape from you (or more than one). Don't worry I won't turn you into my own personal Netflix but I know not many of us have VCR's.

Thanks in advance.

If you have spare time, each weekend, drive to a different local airport. Figure out which you like best and then keep going there every weekend. One day soon, people will recognize you, and good things will happen. Don't know if you can just wander into hagars anymore, but that is a start. And free too.

If you have spare time, each weekend, drive to a different local airport. Figure out which you like best and then keep going there every weekend. One day soon, people will recognize you, and good things will happen. Don't know if you can just wander into hagars anymore, but that is a start. And free too.
Of course that works a lot better if you look like Kimberly. If you look like me people will eventually call the cops.

Thanks in advance.

Nothing, but you never lose all of it; you are likely static in loss at this point. You can buy a used Pt 103 ultralight cheap ($2500-$5000) and need no further expense.:idea:

Last edited:
Flowery Branch, GA....just outside Atlanta

Nice part of the country.... I spend many a day at Road Atlanta racing cars.... Seems I remember back a few years Kim Bassinger bought to entire town of Flowery branch ?:dunno:..

As for aviation connections,,, Gainesville Ga has a nice airport. During the big racing events I would base my plane out of there... For the test days and small sessions we would just land on the back stretch of the track...

If you put your mind to it, get your foot in the door at a FBO and make some connections, you can make it happen...:yesnod:

Seems I remember back a few years Kim Bassinger bought to entire town of Flowery branch ?:dunno:..
Close...it was Braselton...just down the road

As for aviation connections,,, Gainesville Ga has a nice airport. During the big racing events I would base my plane out of there... For the test days and small sessions we would just land on the back stretch of the track...

If you put your mind to it, get your foot in the door at a FBO and make some connections, you can make it happen...:yesnod:
I tried to get a part time job at Lanier Flight Center (the only training FBO at KGVL) I would've gotten discounted rates on rental, and gotten to know all the CFI's...but they gave it to some young college kid:(

I can attest to the fact that you never really lose all of what you have been taught. I recently started back on lessons after a long 16year lay-off. I was surprised at how much I could actually remember and perform. When I first started those years ago I did most of it by trading off work for lessons. I got to know everyone at the FBO by delivering pizzas to them. Eventually I just started hanging out with them in my spare time and doing little things around there to help out. I got the offer from the owner to start trading my time there helping for lessons in addition to paying up-front for some of them. Networking can be a help. Good luck to you and remember where there is a will there is a way.

Not a joke, either. I have little doubt that some FBO that has a flight school and a shop both will work something out with you so that you can get an hour here and there for the price of gas and the instructor seeing as you want to be a pilot and an A&P both. Even discount the instructor.

Push a broom, run parts, clean airplanes, provide an extra hand to the mechanic(s). All those are worth something.

Well, after some extensive research, I figured out that in all of the airports within a reasonable distance, there are no FBO's that do Training and MX, so this might not work out.:(

But I am still gonna go with all the great suggestions.

Thanks again everyone

Close...it was Braselton...just down the road

I tried to get a part time job at Lanier Flight Center (the only training FBO at KGVL) I would've gotten discounted rates on rental, and gotten to know all the CFI's...but they gave it to some young college kid:(

As you get older you get denied more entry level jobs. The flip side to that is you should qualify to walk in off the street higher. The only industry this is NOT true in is Airline Pilot. Every time you will seek a job, it will very likely (except for start up or very small operation) be an entry level job every time you have to go looking.

Of course that works a lot better if you look like Kimberly. If you look like me people will eventually call the cops.

Actually, I was basing my advice on that other thread about "would you take a stranger up who approached your plane?"

I personally don't have time to just hang around airports every weekend. My personal connections have been through:

Flight training (showing up A LOT every week) - only ONE pilot friend from almost 8 months of showing up
Post flight training / switching schools - two pilot friends from that
99's - husband of one introduced me to a pilot with a hangar, went flying
EAA chapter - no flying yet but met some nice pilots
POA - Dozens probably maybe more - lots of flying but it takes time and effort (out of towners) or me going across the country to POA events
FaceBook - believe it or not, through pilots, I've met pilots!
AOPA membership - Red Board - found a buddy, went to a fly in. found another, went flying too.
Angel Flight - just joined. One flight already. Going to help an aircraft owner on Saturday with his 182 annual inspection

Mentoring - I have chatted with or shared books with several student pilots now. I'd say at least 5 or more. Giving back to the GA community is the best. I even took one for a flight.

My advice to you: Volunteer as "ground crew" for the next Young Eagles event, volunteer at your next big airshow (many booths need volunteers), etc. You get the idea. Join Angel Flight, become a mission assistant. They accept non pilots.

Jeremy, I just sent you a PM, but I'll post here, as well. Since you're in Flowery Branch, and not currently taking lessons, your plight is similar to mine. I've got 3.0 hours logged, from 2007, but no money. ;)

Back when I lived in IL, I was a member of EAA 241, and there was a group that flew on Saturdays for breakfast, and I flew often with them. I moved several times since then, and with lack of time and money, I let my EAA membership lapse, so that is actually the last time I flew.

I did recently re-join EAA, and have joined the Lawrenceville chapter, which isn't far from Flowery Branch, as you surely know. The address of the hangar is 690 Airport Rd, and we have three meets a month, plus whatever else comes up.

On the first Saturday, we have a breakfast from 8-10am (or 10:30?). $6 - a good deal. After breakfast there is a presentation on something relating to aviation.

The following Friday, there is a chapter meeting at 7:30, which also has a presentation of some sort. Many of us meet at the Flying Machine (restaurant on the other side of the field) for dinner before hand, starting around 6:00 or so.

The third Saturday of every month, we have Young Eagles from 9-noon. In February, I think we flew more than 50. In March it was 69. This past weekend we had to take kids around the airport on the ground, because the ceiling was too low. But with numbers like these, I think you can guess that this chapter takes YE seriously. Our YE coordinator has more than 600 YEs, and he flies a Chief, so those YEs are all one at a time.

If you're not already involved in an EAA chapter, I'd suggest looking into it. It's a good way to be able to get to know pilots, hang around the airport, and (I'm hoping) get to fly along as ballast in someone's airplane.

Our chapter has at least 3 RVs under construction, 2 RVs that have recently gotten their Airworthiness Certificates, and two Zeniths, and these are just the few that I have learned about in the past few months that I have been a member. I know there are a couple others, but can't think of what they are.

EAA - check it out.

Back