SOLVED - Garmin GTX 330ES will not go into configuration mode

dboy4ever

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I'm posting this in hopes that it will benefit someone in the future. While I ran into this problem, I did many google searches but couldn't find any helpful info. So here it is:

THE SETUP:
My panel is G500, GTN 750 and 650, GTX 330ES, and a GDL 88. I needed to change the tail number (flight ID) on my 330ES transponder.

THE PROBLEM:
In order to change the tail number on the 330ES I needed to go into configuration mode by holding the FUNC key when powering on. But the 330ES will only stay in the configuration mode for a few second. Then it starts a "self test" and takes itself out of the configuration mode.

A local mechanic at my field suggested that I send the unit to Garmin for service.

THE SOLUTION:
I figured that the 330ES shouldn't go into self test while in configuration mode. An external force must be initiating the test. So I pulled the circuit breakers that interfaced with the 330 one by one. Finally I found that the GTN 750 was the issue. When the GTN750 CB was pulled, the 330 would stay in configuration mode. Voila!

I'm posting this in hopes that it will benefit someone in the future. While I ran into this problem, I did many google searches but couldn't find any helpful info. So here it is:

THE SETUP:
My panel is G500, GTN 750 and 650, GTX 330ES, and a GDL 88. I needed to change the tail number (flight ID) on my 330ES transponder.

THE PROBLEM:
In order to change the tail number on the 330ES I needed to go into configuration mode by holding the FUNC key when powering on. But the 330ES will only stay in the configuration mode for a few second. Then it starts a "self test" and takes itself out of the configuration mode.

A local mechanic at my field suggested that I send the unit to Garmin for service.

THE SOLUTION:
I figured that the 330ES shouldn't go into self test while in configuration mode. An external force must be initiating the test. So I pulled the circuit breakers that interfaced with the 330 one by one. Finally I found that the GTN 750 was the issue. When the GTN750 CB was pulled, the 330 would stay in configuration mode. Voila!

Chris, I saw your post from January but hopefully you still monitor the forum...I have a GNS 530W for my navigator and a GDL 88D and KT 76A transponder. I am thinking of replacing the KT 76A with a GTX 330 ES to get 1090 ADS-B out. Did you disable GDL 88 ADS-B out or are you transmitting ADS-B data on both 978 and 1090 MHz??

Jim

Back