Soloed today

armycopter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
armycopter
So I soloed today. It was a blast but also kind of anti-climatic since I soloed a fixed wing back in 1988. I didn't get to rip my t-shirt or anything ha ha. Still, it felt great to have that freedom. I said a couple of small prayers prior to each landing and they turned out fine but I thought a little help from above wouldn't hurt! I do need to work on my round out and flare. Bounced a little bit but not too awful. At least I stayed on centerline. I am super excited to continue. Right now I have a total of 7 hours dual and 0.6 solo (except the few hours I had back in the 80's). Just wanted to share my excitement. My wife and kids don't really get it when I try to describe the feeling.

So I soloed today. It was a blast but also kind of anti-climatic since I soloed a fixed wing back in 1988. I didn't get to rip my t-shirt or anything ha ha. Still, it felt great to have that freedom. I said a couple of small prayers prior to each landing and they turned out fine but I thought a little help from above wouldn't hurt! I do need to work on my round out and flare. Bounced a little bit but not too awful. At least I stayed on centerline. I am super excited to continue. Right now I have a total of 7 hours dual and 0.6 solo (except the few hours I had back in the 80's). Just wanted to share my excitement. My wife and kids don't really get it when I try to describe the feeling.

Congrats!!!!

P.S. Pray with your eyes open ;)

Congrats!!

I went on a discovery flight last week and scheduled my "2nd" lesson for Friday. :yes:

Great job! I still say a prayer before flying some planes. :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Don't worry, we fully get it! :lol: Congratulations!!

Yep, right now my wife says she won't fly with me. She says we can talk about it after a few hundred hrs if I'm still around. :dunno: Hope she doesn't know something I don't.

Yep, right now my wife says she won't fly with me. She says we can talk about it after a few hundred hrs if I'm still around. :dunno: Hope she doesn't know something I don't.

GF's mom is the same way, doesn't feel we should fly together ever. :eek: Hoping she'll warm up to it. GF is willing once I get the money and current again.

I said a couple of small prayers prior to each landing and they turned out fine but I thought a little help from above wouldn't hurt!

I used to say a big prayer before getting to most army copters, especially the 47.
:D

Congrats on the re-solo.

My brother says he will fly with me when I have 10,000 hours and am sitting in the right seat of a 777 with a guy in the left seat who won't let me touch anything. :D

Fortunately my wife is ok with 200 hours and our Dakota.

Congratulations

Now just wait until you get your ticket and you can start taking people other than an instructor up !!!

Congrats! Best of luck with training!

While the PP is a license to learn, I like to think that once you've soloed you are a pilot. Heck, you can take it up and down by yourself, that is one hell of an accomplishment. At least you have the centerline part down. The flare height/bouncing will come. Just be sure to focus on the far far end of the runway. Look near the plane, and you will bounce it or flare late.

armycopter,
Are you already helicopter pilot? If so, is it that much difference transitioning to fixed wing? Is it like starting over?

just curious, puzzled by your userid i suppose.

Thanks everyone. It's definitely exciting!

ExNCsurfer - yes I am a rated helo pilot. I fly UH-60's with the Army National Guard. While there is a lot of cross over from helo's to airplanes, there is one fundamental difference. They physically fly a lot different. (Cpt Obvious here).

I am also finding that I have gotten lazy over the years. With a big helicoper like the blackhawk, I don't really have to worry a lot about weight/balance, winds, traffic patterns, etc. Yes we like to land into the winds but ultimately I can land it with a tail wind and dog leg around at the bottom and be okay. Crosswinds are a non-issue. With a little C172 I am constantly having to think about many more thiings I am not used to thinking about regularly.

Thanks everyone. It's definitely exciting!

ExNCsurfer - yes I am a rated helo pilot. I fly UH-60's with the Army National Guard. While there is a lot of cross over from helo's to airplanes, there is one fundamental difference. They physically fly a lot different. (Cpt Obvious here).

I am also finding that I have gotten lazy over the years. With a big helicoper like the blackhawk, I don't really have to worry a lot about weight/balance, winds, traffic patterns, etc. Yes we like to land into the winds but ultimately I can land it with a tail wind and dog leg around at the bottom and be okay. Crosswinds are a non-issue. With a little C172 I am constantly having to think about many more thiings I am not used to thinking about regularly.

Thats cool, I bet its a bit of a difference for your CFI as well, as you'll know a lot of the stuff. You'll have to get used to not being able to stop(hover) I bet.

FYI, I'm a fellow student pilot, just solo'd two weeks ago. Since that I've solo'd in another plane and made it out of the pattern solo too, having fun.

Last edited:
Thats cool, I bet its a bit of a difference for your CFI as well, as you'll know a lot of the stuff. You'll have to get used to not being able to stop(hover) I bet.

FYI, I'm a fellow student pilot, just solo'd two weeks ago. Since that I've solo'd in another plane and made it out of the pattern solo too, having fun.

Luckily my CFI is an ex Army helicopter pilot. He talks my talk!

Congrats on your solo. I hope you are having as much fun as I am.

Back