Soloed on Saturday...

Addicted2climbing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Addicted2climbing
:goofy::goofy::goofy:

Hey All,

First post but long time lurker. Anyhow I finaly Soloed a Cessna 172 at KVNY this Saturday. It had been a long time coming and should have happened on my 40th birthday in November, but weather changes in flight, an alternator light warning just before instructor got out, hollidays and work all pushed it to now. I started out in Sailplanes in the 90s and flew Solo for 5 or so years but never got my license. Hey it was a single seater so no pressure to take the test.:rolleyes2: I had to shelve aviation for 15 or so years and came back through Hangliding and then did that for 3 or so years before I shelved it for the time being to focus on my Private Pilot. I recently joined the EAA and am helping to build a few planes and through the EAA I have made connections that will allow me to fly and train much more afordably. Any Student pilots reading this would be wise to seek out your local EAA chapter as the connections alone are priceless and maybe a member has a plane that can be rented for much less than an FBO. I am so excited that even after a long Hiatus aviation is back in my life. Now I need to focus on the written which at times feels like this..:mad2:

Best regards,

Marc Webster

Hi Marc, congrats on the solo, at VNY no less. I've always wanted to fly there. I've been to Van Nuys a couple of times but never by plane or had the opportunity to take off or land there.

Welcome aboard.

Congratulations Marc!

Sounds like your addiction is elevating.:D

The written is not that bad. Just get a study guide and start working through it. Go to exam4pilots.org for practice tests and when you're consistently hitting a good score, go knock it out and get it out of the way.

Keep us posted.

And you still haven't wiped that silly grin off your face, either. My first solo was in 2000 and I'm still grinning. :D

Congratulations, birdman. You've done something the vast majority of people in this planet have not. Enjoy the accomplishment.

Congrats! You're over ten years earlier than me, so don't feel bad about the delay. I'm hoping I can join the ranks of solo students in the next week or two.

Hey All,

I have the Gleim book and CD which helps, but as with many, the airspace and regs stuff is my weak point. I may have to resort to flashcards or load the program on my work computer and work a little each day at work as well as home.

Training out of KVNY while it probably adds cost as I do have the occasional ramp wait, I think it can only help being forced to fly in such a busy location. Last Saturday, we went up for a little training after the solo and on our way back, the airspace was so crowded the controller asked us to turn north toward the 118 freeway then enter a long base leg to final. He asked a Bonanza to follow us and as I turn base I see the bonanza about 500 feet in front of me turning base. Best I can figure he did not want to be behind a slow 172 on a long base and final so he 45'd us to cut in front. The controller was ****ed but then told us to follow the bonanza in. Then about 1 min from touchdown he tells someone else in the patern to follow the bonanza in and we call to say "are we still clear to land, we are behind the Bonanza". He then remembers the planes are out of order due to the Bonanza cutting in front and thanks us for checking. It was a bit hairy on Saturday, but it also just reminds me to keep my eyes and ears open as people don't always do what they are told... Other then this one incident KVNY has been a great place to train. However, I may soon switch to KWHP as the EAA chapter has a member who allows student members to train in his Cherokee for $20 Tach time, the price of gas and own insurance... Cant beat that deal since I am broke and have been paying $122 per hour hobbs.. I wish I joined earlier in my training. I now may lose a bit of time transistioning to the Cherokee, but in the end it should save me a fair amount over FBO renting so in a sense I may be able to afford to fly more.

Oh one other thing, how do I add the USA map to my profile?

Best regards,

Marc

Marc,

I had a choice between flying out of non-towered MLE or towered and occasionally fairly busy Eppley (OMA). I chose OMA in part so I would be FORCED to deal with ATC, clearance, taxi and traffic from the beginning. So far we've had to wait once for turbulence, other than that I've gained a lot of confidence and don't regret it a bit.

Hey All,

I have the Gleim book and CD which helps, but as with many, the airspace and regs stuff is my weak point. I may have to resort to flashcards or load the program on my work computer and work a little each day at work as well as home.

Training out of KVNY while it probably adds cost as I do have the occasional ramp wait, I think it can only help being forced to fly in such a busy location. Last Saturday, we went up for a little training after the solo and on our way back, the airspace was so crowded the controller asked us to turn north toward the 118 freeway then enter a long base leg to final. He asked a Bonanza to follow us and as I turn base I see the bonanza about 500 feet in front of me turning base. Best I can figure he did not want to be behind a slow 172 on a long base and final so he 45'd us to cut in front. The controller was ****ed but then told us to follow the bonanza in. Then about 1 min from touchdown he tells someone else in the patern to follow the bonanza in and we call to say "are we still clear to land, we are behind the Bonanza". He then remembers the planes are out of order due to the Bonanza cutting in front and thanks us for checking. It was a bit hairy on Saturday, but it also just reminds me to keep my eyes and ears open as people don't always do what they are told... Other then this one incident KVNY has been a great place to train. However, I may soon switch to KWHP as the EAA chapter has a member who allows student members to train in his Cherokee for $20 Tach time, the price of gas and own insurance... Cant beat that deal since I am broke and have been paying $122 per hour hobbs.. I wish I joined earlier in my training. I now may lose a bit of time transistioning to the Cherokee, but in the end it should save me a fair amount over FBO renting so in a sense I may be able to afford to fly more.

Oh one other thing, how do I add the USA map to my profile?

Best regards,

Marc

I'm anxiously awaiting the answer to this question. I assume that the states shown are those flown to. If I color the ones I've been to without flying myself it will be about all of 'em.

That is awesome, congrats on the solo! I'm currently experiencing what you did: I should have soloed several weeks ago, but timing and the weather continue to mock me. And my job forces me to be a weekend warrior, which certainly doesn't help. I need to win the lottery...

Marc, welcome to POA! and congrats on the solo. Its an amazing feeling isn't it??

Back