Solo'd!!! & Caught on Video

wilzup

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric D
First off let me introduce myself. Eric Dowell from the Atlanta area. I am training out of KLZU and loving every minute of it. After a couple of bumps in the road I was able to successfully solo last Thursday and it was amazing. Fortunately since I am a tech geek, I almost always video my flights so that I can review and relive the experience. Since my brother is also training I take time to edit the footage and put it up on YouTube and we have a great time reviewing it.

I am so glad I found this site. It looks like the is a ton of info here.
Looking forward to soaking it all in!

If you are interested in checking out my solo you can check it out @ http://youtu.be/UMgPwrqQ1v4

Thanks,
Eric

Welcome to POA and Holy Crap!

Let me throw away all of my video and audio editing equipment.
You are the master!

Please stay on POA and become an integral member you are a creative master!

Congrats on your solo!

That was awesome.

I watched it twice
I love it around 42:40
"Feet on the floor" "Right Rudder" "Airspeed is alive" "Done this before" :)

congrats, great job!

I've been meaning to head your way to visit a friend, looks like a lot of taxiing at LZU!

Umm, did you have like what, 6 greasers? :D You certainly seem to have a knack for landing that plane. Congrats man!

Best. Video. Ever.

Congratulations, Pilot. The fun is just starting, and boy is it fun.

Excellent solo, and really excellent video.

Nice job.:thumbsup:

Congrats and welcome!

LOL, I'm "a lot higher, a lot quicker." Yeah, planes fly better without that useless lump in the right seat!!! :rofl:

Good job Eric. It's a day you'll never forget.

Loved the video! I loved your personal dialog on your first flight!

I think I need a gopro for my first solo XC!

Congrats!

Awesome video!! Congrats...you have the Diamond dialed in.

So tell us...whats the story with your CFI's? ( noticed you had different one in some earlier videos)

Thanks Everyone! I am having a blast and glad I decided to try to video my journey. Being able to review my lessons has been a tremendous help. I really do enjoy editing and posting them. I guess I hope in some small way it would encourage others and show the anyone can learn to fly. I am not there yet but, I am working towards it!

Eric

Great video.

What is that device on your right wrist?

Ralph,
That is my remote for my GoPro cameras. It allows me to control them all at once, turn them on/off and start/stop recording.

There are also really awesome phone apps that you can control the gopros with too. It allows you to view the sight picture so you can set everything up. No controller or seperators viewers needed.

Awesome video!! Congrats...you have the Diamond dialed in.

So tell us...whats the story with your CFI's? ( noticed you had different one in some earlier videos)
Sean
Nothing much.....but good catch! The first was a very good instructor. Our schedules just never meshed. I've set a pretty aggressive goal to fly 3x a week with weather permitting and for whatever reason it just wasn't happening. So I took the opportunity to change schools, CFI's and planes. I know it jeopardized my timeline but, it seems to be working out great. I probably added a couple of additional hours to my training but, for me it was worth it.

Thanks,
Eric

There are also really awesome phone apps that you can control the gopros with too. It allows you to view the sight picture so you can set everything up. No controller or seperators viewers needed.

Yeah, I have the phone app and it is great for checking positioning of the cameras and reviewing footage but, the only drawback is that you can only control one camera at a time.
The one thing I try to focus on is what views will be most useful to review and if I was looking at another persons video what would I want to see. I would love to have a view dedicated to rudder control but I already have three mounted and a fourth might exceed the 20's useful load!(terrible joke)....:lol:

Eric

Yes correct, I had the same issue but I use an android tablet for garmin and my phone as a backup so I just have the app on both to control both. But I usually only fly with one so it's not a big deal.

Nice video you posted.

Sean
Nothing much.....but good catch! The first was a very good instructor. Our schedules just never meshed. I've set a pretty aggressive goal to fly 3x a week with weather permitting and for whatever reason it just wasn't happening. So I took the opportunity to change schools, CFI's and planes. I know it jeopardized my timeline but, it seems to be working out great. I probably added a couple of additional hours to my training but, for me it was worth it.

Thanks,
Eric

How was the transition from the Cessna to the DA?

You seemed to have the DA dialed in...some great landings.

Perfer the stick or yoke?

How was the transition from the Cessna to the DA?

You seemed to have the DA dialed in...some great landings.

Perfer the stick or yoke?
Since I never really felt in control of the 172 from a landing perspective, It has been a relatively easy transition. Understanding I am very new to flying, even I was able to notice the response difference between the Diamond and the 172. I liken the 172 to a large sedan, turn the steering wheel and it will move in that direction albeit at a calculated pace and the DA20 to a Camaro, not on rails but a marked difference in steering feel.
If you look at my previous videos in the 172, my reaction always seems to be a little behind in catching the ballooning or the drop. With the 20, the stick input is almost instant and I have a much better feel for it.
As far as the transition from yoke to stick......your sight to hand coordination is pretty much intuitive so, there is not much learning curve there. Plus you feel like a fighter pilot which gives you a couple of cool points!
Since I hope to do most of my flying after my ratings in a DA40 or other low wing it just made sense to train in one.

Thanks,
Eric

Nicely done!! Excellent video, and congratulations on becoming an addict like us. :)

Congratulations Eric!!! More excitement to come!!! Let me know if you ever make up the Spartanburg way. It's Always fun to meet fellow enthusiasts!

Congratulations! Great video. The real fun starts now! Keep us updated.

Eric:

Great stick. Great video. Great editing. Love the under the wing shots.

Congrats! Love the video. The Diamonds are very responsive little planes, very fun to fly!

Great video! I am surprised the da20 isn't more popular. More fun and economical than most of the trainers out there! Maybe because they are not IFR cert??

Great job and Great Video Eric! Congratulations & welcome to POA.

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it very much.

Great video! I am surprised the da20 isn't more popular. More fun and economical than most of the trainers out there! Maybe because they are not IFR cert??
I don't know on the training side of things, but as far as a personal plane I wouldn't buy a Diamond. Very fun, but after throwing 3 people in a DA40, they tend to fall on their face a little bit with some weight. Not as utilitarian as a 150/172 in my opinion

Eric, welcome to POA! Good to have you here. Love the video. Your aggressive goal of flying three times per week is a great idea and will serve you well. Look forward to reading the post when you get your Private and will look forward to meeting you at one of the Flyins that many POAers attend. We have a number of POAers in the Atlanta area.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been up twice since last Thursday and have "kicked" the CFI out on each occasion! Lol.... I start working on my cross country objective Thursday and I'll be able to check the plane out myself after my next flight. Can't wait!
BTW. I am posting the vast majority of my flights on YouTube because I like to review them but, I welcome any commentary or constructive criticism also. I can only make me a better pilot.

Eric

Awesome video!

Question, how are you getting both ambient audio, and the intercom/radio audio. Seems every other video I see is either the mic built into the gopro getting everything, or a cord plugged into the intercom that only gets what you hear in your headset.

Also, what are you using to attach the camera to the wing?

Awesome video!

Question, how are you getting both ambient audio, and the intercom/radio audio. Seems every other video I see is either the mic built into the gopro getting everything, or a cord plugged into the intercom that only gets what you hear in your headset.

Also, what are you using to attach the camera to the wing?

Ditto on mount to wing.

On both audios, he does have two go pros in there. Not sure if that is the way he is doing it, but he could record both ambient and radio that way.

That's what I was thinking. Would account for the slight echo as well.

on the wing mount, my club has a strict rule about putting the sticky mounts on the outside of planes. Apparently someone put one on the bottom of a plane, then punched a hole in the skin by using a screwdriver to try and pry it off.

Back