Solo!

wrighthenry

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wrighthenry
Did my first solo today. After 3 ok landings and one pretty good one my CFI had me taxi to the ramp where she hopped out. Pretty nerve racking when she got out but once I got underway I felt pretty good. Of course I did take a left onto the taxi when I was supposed to cross it. The tower got me straightened out pretty quickly. After that little embarrassment I made one of my best landings to date and two other acceptable ones.

Can't wait to get back at it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You will never forget today.

...at least not till the alzheimers sets in!

Great memories from today to last for a long time. Flying an airplane by yourself is not something many people can claim to have done! Well Done!

Excellent news, congratulations!

It's been almost eight years since my first solo, and I STILL can fly each pattern in my head. There's nothing like that first time the wheels lift off the runway, and you realize you're solely responsible for setting them down again...

Thanks all! It really was an awesome experience. I finally forced myself to relax a little on my third circuit and really take a good look out the window and enjoy the fact that I was flying an airplane by myself. Like all great things, it was over too quickly!

Still can't believe someone trusts me enough to fly an airplane solo!

So, what's next? Bring on the overhead break training!;)

Congratulations! PIC

Congratulations on your first Solo, I did my first Solo on the 2nd April and still find myself day dreaming about it.....

I had gone around the pattern for half a dozen take off and landings with my CFI on board, and then he hopped out and told me to go do 4 take off and landings to full stop.
I taxied back out to Runway 29 which had been active all day, checked the ATIS then checked for traffic and announced my intentions to take off on 29 and stay in the pattern, just as I was climbing out a pilot entering the pattern announced a change in wind direction and R23 was now the preferred active runway, as did the #2 in the pattern behind him......this change was not in my first solo plan ! :hairraise:

Anyway, I stayed as calm as I could and climbed out longer than I would have before starting to make my crosswind turn,I checked for other traffic in the pattern and then I announced that I was now going to be entering downwind for R23, all went well and I managed a pretty good base/final and landing.

My CFI was on a handheld radio but kept quiet and watched, listened, and let me handle the change of runway situation myself, when I got back to the ramp he commended me on my decision making...

Not what I expected on my first solo, but goes to show things can change in the blink of an eye, so all good for the learning curve though.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

It is amazing how well the plane flies with only 1 person in it.

Congrats!

Yup, I remember my first solo...my instructor warned me that "the plane's going to want to climb really badly without fatso next to you," but I wasn't expecting THAT much of a difference!

My CFI was on a handheld radio but kept quiet and watched, listened, and let me handle the change of runway situation myself, when I got back to the ramp he commended me on my decision making...

Good luck with the rest of your training.

Haha my instructor was on the radio too...after my first landing, he came over the radio and said, "Fair." Which, in all fairness, it was, because he soloed me on a somewhat squirrely day...but I found it amusing nonetheless :).

Bravo. Now you get to start bringing your skills up without that instructor in the other seat. You get to impress just yourself.

Back