Solo XC flight jitters

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
So I just did a 190 mile cross country solo flight this morning and about half way though the first leg the engine sounded like it was running different to me. I started getting real nervous. I feel like I was super focused on the engine sounds when flying my self. the second leg runup was perfect but I was paranoid something was going to happen the entire flight. Anyone else feel like every time the engine tone/rpms change ever so little, that it was going to end up cutting off? Does this phobia of an engine cutting out go away?

Did you do anything about it? If so, what and how did the engine behavior change?

You can't just sit there passively and hope it's okay.

P.S. The way to get over single-engine failure phobia is to realize it WILL fail someday, not a question of IF.

Then train appropriately. Always be aware of places to land, don't plan long low legs over inhospitable terrain if there is another option available, and know what the engine instruments are telling you as well as other senses...

Like your nose... If the airplane smells like it's burning... Perhaps a glance at the oil temp, and oil pressure gauges is in order...

A friend had about ten seconds of warning (fluctuating oil pressure and bad noises from the nose) during a night flight -- of a complete engine failure and piston, cylinder, and well pretty much an entire engine, self-destruct.

They glided to a runway landing. He said it was a little close and he was worried about dragging a wingtip in the shallow low base turn, but judged it correctly.

There are a few phases of any single-engine flight that it's going to hurt if you toss an engine. Try to hit softer stuff at that point. Otherwise, there is usually a way to mitigate some of the risk.

I'm assuming that there was nothing wrong with the plane. The e problem was your hypersensitivity to the engine sounds and the fear that something was going to go wrong.

I can say that I had similar feelings even after I got my pilots license. Soemtime around 100 hours this fear started to subside and I was able to enjoy flying more.

For some, like me, learning to deal with this fear was the hardest part of learning to fly. When these fears rise up - verify the instruments are OK and just focus on flying the plane.

I am now facing a different kind of life threatening experience and I honestly believe my flight training has helped prepare me for this.
Keep facing your fears, its all part of becoming a pilot and , perhaps, a stronger person.
Gary

Did you do anything about it? If so, what and how did the engine behavior change?

You can't just sit there passively and hope it's okay.

I didn't sit and do nothing. I just didnt know exactly what to do to fix the problem. I messed with the mixture. Rich/Lean nothing seemed to make it purrr. It had what seemed like a loss of a couple hundred RPM's and bouncing around a little, which differed from the beginning of the flight which was very smooth. I was at 5500' and was descending when i noticed it. I pulled carb heat but nothing changed. When I got down to around 2500' it seemed to run normal again. Not sure why this happened, but I wasn't feeling very comfortable about it at the time. There was a mechanic at the first airport. I spoke to him and he had me run it up and test the mags. Said it was good to go. Not sure if I am being overly cautious or there really was something wrong. When I got back my instructor took the plane up and said everything was perfect. :dunno:

I'm assuming that there was nothing wrong with the plane. The e problem was your hypersensitivity to the engine sounds and the fear that something was going to go wrong.

I can say that I had similar feelings even after I got my pilots license. Soemtime around 100 hours this fear started to subside and I was able to enjoy flying more.

For some, like me, learning to deal with this fear was the hardest part of learning to fly. When these fears rise up - verify the instruments are OK and just focus on flying the plane.

I am now facing a different kind of life threatening experience and I honestly believe my flight training has helped prepare me for this.
Keep facing your fears, its all part of becoming a pilot and , perhaps, a stronger person.
Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm not sure what life threatening experience you are dealing with now, but I wish you the best. Your thoughts are exactly what I think I may be dealing with.

I didn't sit and do nothing. I just didnt know exactly what to do to fix the problem. I messed with the mixture. Rich/Lean nothing seemed to make it purrr. It had what seemed like a loss of a couple hundred RPM's and bouncing around a little, which differed from the beginning of the flight which was very smooth. I was at 5500' and was descending when i noticed it. I pulled carb heat but nothing changed. When I got down to around 2500' it seemed to run normal again. Not sure why this happened, but I wasn't feeling very comfortable about it at the time. There was a mechanic at the first airport. I spoke to him and he had me run it up and test the mags. Said it was good to go. Not sure if I am being overly cautious or there really was something wrong. When I got back my instructor took the plane up and said everything was perfect. :dunno:

You did well, probably little nerves on solo outings.

I am about 180 hrs in, had a slight engine problem, few months ago (I knew something was about to happen, right before it did). But like others have said, train train, look always for the open field. Plus, I never want to be scud running at minimum altitudes. Altitude is a great insurance policy!!!!

Keep having fun, its a challenge!

Last edited:
So I just did a 190 mile cross country solo flight this morning and about half way though the first leg the engine sounded like it was running different to me. I started getting real nervous. I feel like I was super focused on the engine sounds when flying my self. the second leg runup was perfect but I was paranoid something was going to happen the entire flight. Anyone else feel like every time the engine tone/rpms change ever so little, that it was going to end up cutting off? Does this phobia of an engine cutting out go away?

Perfectly normal on your first cross country. Everything is new, weird, different, you're alone, and far from home. You become hyper-aware of everything, under these circumstances, and the engine might sound funny.

You did fine. It gets better. :)

I'm going to ask a question: Was there anything else you could do? ;)

(I also think you're just experiencing the early XC jitters, but you need to know your systems. What's your flow for an engine-out OR engine failing -- running rough -- in a Cessna again? ;) )

Poke. Poke.

In my aircraft there's six things I can do that can affect a rough running engine.

How many in yours? :)

Quiz time!!! ;) ;) ;)

(I also think you're just experiencing the early XC jitters, but you need to know your systems. What's your flow for an engine-out OR engine failing -- running rough -- in a Cessna again? ;) )

Poke. Poke.

In my aircraft there's six things I can do that can affect a rough running engine.

Quiz time!!! ;) ;) ;)

Carb heat, mixture, throttle, altitude, cowl flaps, prop pitch? Did I get em?
Oh, and fuel shutoff valve :)

LW: Right you are.

OP: This is a feature of most training aircraft called "Auto-Rough". Somehow the engine detects when you are in unfamiliar or hostile territory and you get a little vibration here, a change of exhaust note there. Mostly what you get is nervous. Auto rough is very common, most new pilots experience this at some point.

Glad that in fact it was auto-rough, not a real problem. The heightened awareness AR causes is a good thing.

-Skip

LW: Right you are.

Somehow the engine detects when you are in unfamiliar or hostile territory

Wait til you fly over water. The echo of the engine off the water amplifies the sound of every engine nuance. You can hear every RPM change. Even when it doesn't change! ;)

Not having heard you, it's hard to say. But remember, it's your life. Me? If I felt something unusual, I would have landed. Period. Call me over-cautious. I love my family and my life...and flying.

I have less than 150 hours and three times I've had to make this decision. The first was on my solo at 17 years old. There was a linkage problem between the throttle and the engine, and I couldn't completely reduce power. I landed power shut off completely, and called my instructor. He said fly home. Dumb! When the Palo Alto tower found out, they diverted me to San Jose International and closed the airport, lining the runway with fire engines.

The second time was a bit of a subtle "knocking" sound I had never heard before. I turned around on the taxiway and returned to the flight school.

The third time was a broken vacuum system discovered just before taxi. Again, I didn't go.

Remember, it's your life you are dealing with here when you make these decisions. Unless you do most of your flying where there are lots of fields and easy places to land, be cautious. You will have a failure some day.

I have less than 150 hours and three times I've had to make this decision. The first was on my solo at 17 years old. There was a linkage problem between the throttle and the engine, and I couldn't completely reduce power. I landed power shut off completely, and called my instructor. He said fly home. Dumb! When the Palo Alto tower found out, they diverted me to San Jose International and closed the airport, lining the runway with fire engines.

You know it now that the better response to that idea would have been, "no, you drive out here and fly it back if you want to; I will drive your car."

It is like the Alfa I bought that had no clutch yet I drove it home about 15 miles through (light) traffic. I can do that but I would not ask a new driver to do it nor allow him to.

P.S. The way to get over single-engine failure phobia is to realize it WILL fail someday, not a question of IF.

I need to realize that. I guess I just didn't want to think it would happen. I will now be flying as if it will happen all the time. Definitely not going to make flying more fun, but at least I will be better mentally prepared.

You did well, probably little nerves on solo outings.

I am about 180 hrs in, had a slight engine problem, few months ago (I knew something was about to happen, right before it did). But like others have said, train train, look always for the open field. Plus, I never want to be scud running at minimum altitudes. Altitude is a great insurance policy!!!!

Keep having fun, its a challenge!

I cant give up now. but this pilot stuff definitely gets more and more serious the more you learn and experience.

Perfectly normal on your first cross country. Everything is new, weird, different, you're alone, and far from home. You become hyper-aware of everything, under these circumstances, and the engine might sound funny.

You did fine. It gets better. :)

I was hoping to hear this from everyone. It does feel better to think that its just my mind making things worse than they really are.

Poke. Poke.

Quiz time!!! ;) ;) ;)

I definitely feel like I need to get better training on these situations.

Not having heard you, it's hard to say. But remember, it's your life. Me? If I felt something unusual, I would have landed. Period. Call me over-cautious. I love my family and my life...and flying.

You will have a failure some day.

I understand what your saying and the closest airport was the airport I was flying to. I had 50nm behind me and 40nm in front of me with nothing else closer to my position. I also have young kids and a wife I am in no hurry to leave. Guess we all need to know "we will have a failure some day", but I am not looking forward to that day. :no:

Skip and others who commented about things being different when you are alone are on target. Your senses are heightened and sounds that you may not have heard before are playing like trumpets.

An old time time pilot told me once that the first time you have an inflight emergency, the first thing you will smell is raw adrenaline. On my first night flight after I bought my Mooney, I was coming in to land. I was a fairly low time PP and with just a little more logged Mooney time than the required insurance minimum. I went to extend the gear and the "gear unsafe" light came on. I now know what raw adrenaline smells like...

Fortunately it was a popped breaker and a reset allowed the gear to extend.

Carb heat, mixture, throttle, altitude, cowl flaps, prop pitch? Did I get em?
Oh, and fuel shutoff valve :)

Heh. Well, I was hoping our poster would give a list and his response isn't giving me a lot of confidence in his teacher, but since you asked...

You forgot one that bites people in the butt in Cessnas. Read on. ;)

Make it a flow and you won't miss anything.

I'm a dolt so I keep it simple... You don't have or necessarily want to do them in this order, but it makes you LOOK and TOUCH everything.

Start on the floor...

Fuel selector valve. Both, or if it's on Both and not working, fullest tank.

Now move up. (The joke here is that you're done bending over and kissing your ass goodbye, time to fly the airplane. Ha. You got it over with early. Plus you need your eyeballs out to find your landing spot.)

(Prop full... Okay you don't have one of those...)

Mixture Rich. Or where-ever it'll run.

Throttle. Move it. See if it changes anything.

Carb Heat on. (Did the induction air get blocked? How can you get some air, even if unfiltered to this coughing engine? Is carb ice forming?)

Now there's where most people stop. Keep going left. Other side of the yoke...

Ignition/Mags. Will it run better on one mag? Find out.

Now keeping going left ALL the way across the lower panel... to the one that everyone forgets...

Is that primer in and locked? :)

You can cover all of them in a very quick single pass and come back or linger on one that helps ... but do them all. Every time.

As far as cowl flaps go, I'd ignore them unless a glance at the engine gauges showed a huge heat problem, but they're not providing anything the engine needs.

Fuel, Air, Ignition.

If your panel is different, in some other type, build a flow that moves a specific way across your panel.

Chair fly your flow a few times either on your couch or in the airplane on the ground. Do it that way every time.

It'd be embarrassing to land on a field somewhere and then realize you never touched the fuel selector on the floor.

Was the fuel just in the other tank?

Or see that primer sitting there unlocked?

Some people go the other direction on the flow. I can't see over the panel while reaching down to that fuel selector so I want that one done at altitude. So it goes first.

Plus the last thing in the Cessna is to pop the door(s). I'm already over there at the primer and probably out of time to try much else if I'm low, so the door can be added to the end on the left side.

If a passenger is along, that'll be enough to remind me to tell them to pop their door (or just reach over and do it) and tighten their seat belt.

And of course, time permitting, have that engine out checklist ready and run it. But you can accomplish a standard flow faster and have almost zero chance of missing something if you do the flow the same way every time.

It doesn't mean you have to make a particular change but you've looked at and touched every control that might be needed.

Plus that same flow can be used as a GUMPS check... Just add the gear handle/lights as you come up from the floor.

You can even get a gross trim for best glide done while you're down there checking the fuel selector, if you're feeling particularly "multitasky" today. :)

I use to get that feeling over water bought a pair of inflatable suspenders and the engine started to sound better.

Where are you that you can be 40nm from the nearest?

Near the EVERS MOA south of EKN Elkins. I was saying 40nm as a general number. May have actually been more like 30-35ish to my closest airport which was my destination at LWB. i'll have to measure it up again if you want an exact figure.

Skip and others who commented about things being different when you are alone are on target. Your senses are heightened and sounds that you may not have heard before are playing like trumpets.

An old time time pilot told me once that the first time you have an inflight emergency, the first thing you will smell is raw adrenaline. On my first night flight after I bought my Mooney, I was coming in to land. I was a fairly low time PP and with just a little more logged Mooney time than the required insurance minimum. I went to extend the gear and the "gear unsafe" light came on. I now know what raw adrenaline smells like...

Fortunately it was a popped breaker and a reset allowed the gear to extend.

Glad that worked out for you. hopefully this isn't something that bothers me forever.

I use to get that feeling over water bought a pair of inflatable suspenders and the engine started to sound better.

I guess i'll just buy another engine and keep it with me. just in case. :D

Heh. Well, I was hoping our poster would give a list and his response isn't giving me a lot of confidence in his teacher, but since you asked...

You forgot one that bites people in the butt in Cessnas. Read on. ;)

Make it a flow and you won't miss anything.

I'm a dolt so I keep it simple... You don't have or necessarily want to do them in this order, but it makes you LOOK and TOUCH everything.

Start on the floor...

Fuel selector valve. Both, or if it's on Both and not working, fullest tank.

Now move up. (The joke here is that you're done bending over and kissing your ass goodbye, time to fly the airplane. Ha. You got it over with early. Plus you need your eyeballs out to find your landing spot.)

(Prop full... Okay you don't have one of those...)

Mixture Rich. Or where-ever it'll run.

Throttle. Move it. See if it changes anything.

Carb Heat on. (Did the induction air get blocked? How can you get some air, even if unfiltered to this coughing engine? Is carb ice forming?)

Now there's where most people stop. Keep going left. Other side of the yoke...

Ignition/Mags. Will it run better on one mag? Find out.

Now keeping going left ALL the way across the lower panel... to the one that everyone forgets...

Is that primer in and locked? :)

You can cover all of them in a very quick single pass and come back or linger on one that helps ... but do them all. Every time.

As far as cowl flaps go, I'd ignore them unless a glance at the engine gauges showed a huge heat problem, but they're not providing anything the engine needs.

Fuel, Air, Ignition.

If your panel is different, in some other type, build a flow that moves a specific way across your panel.

Chair fly your flow a few times either on your couch or in the airplane on the ground. Do it that way every time.

It'd be embarrassing to land on a field somewhere and then realize you never touched the fuel selector on the floor.

Was the fuel just in the other tank?

Or see that primer sitting there unlocked?

Some people go the other direction on the flow. I can't see over the panel while reaching down to that fuel selector so I want that one done at altitude. So it goes first.

Plus the last thing in the Cessna is to pop the door(s). I'm already over there at the primer and probably out of time to try much else if I'm low, so the door can be added to the end on the left side.

If a passenger is along, that'll be enough to remind me to tell them to pop their door (or just reach over and do it) and tighten their seat belt.

And of course, time permitting, have that engine out checklist ready and run it. But you can accomplish a standard flow faster and have almost zero chance of missing something if you do the flow the same way every time.

It doesn't mean you have to make a particular change but you've looked at and touched every control that might be needed.

Plus that same flow can be used as a GUMPS check... Just add the gear handle/lights as you come up from the floor.

You can even get a gross trim for best glide done while you're down there checking the fuel selector, if you're feeling particularly "multitasky" today. :)

Awesome! I will work on exactly that. I would feel more comfortable knowing a process like this.

I am somewhat north of 400 hours, and my engine seems to sound differently at times. Never had a problem and maybe it is me being oversensitive to the noises in the plane, but I have convinced myself that there are many things that seem to affect the sounds of the cockpit. For example if the wind direction changes significantly or its speed changes I will notice different sound sensations. The fans that "cool" the cockpit will give different sounds depending on direction of flow, and strength of flow, and which ones are on and off. Then there is the obvious in terms of throttle settings, prop pitch, and mixture. If a change occurs that seems "different" to me I first check my settings(for throttle, mixture, and prop) and engine gauges. If all is well into the green and not at any extreme(which it has always been) and the settings are where they are supposed to be, then I will check in a flow from bottom to top and then to the left, rechecking everything. If everything is fine then I attribute it to me being overly sensitive, and continue flying.

Fortunately, I have not had any problems in the air and so have not experienced the dreaded failure yet. Hopefully, I never will, but I am always prepared for it...I hope. I do an oil change every 25 to 30 hours and so far nothing has even gone remotely wrong with the engine, well except for the battery, and the danggone G1000(which is why I am sitting in front of this stupid computer and not flying).

For me

I had two events during my long student X/C that increased the "pucker factor". One was after my last stop -- an unplanned stop & go at O'Neill, NE that I had to do due to weather. I had to change the last leg of my flight and land at an unfamiliar airport my instructor gave me by phone. So I landed, stopped, flaps up, carb heat off, takeoff power... and about 200' AGL the engine coughed. In that split second I realized that I had no idea what was in front of me as far as places to land, but I was pointed toward the town. Lesson learned.

So an hour later I'd been cruising along in air as smooth as glass, not so much as a twitch or shiver since I'd climbed out of O'Neill. I was glancing at the chart when all the sudden there was a pretty big THUMP - I'd just crossed a little thermal over the Platte river. Got my attention in a big hurry. Now when I see rivers, streams, tree lines, etc. coming up I know what to expect.

And that engine cough after takeoff? Probably plug fouling. The club ended up having a major done on that Skyhawk, but it will still cough once in a while if you don't lean aggressively on the ground and in flight. I suspect the mixture is set a little too rich overall.

Anyway. Yes, everything you do as a solo student will be a little more harrowing than normal. It does get better, but you''ll still have plenty of excitement when you do new things (or make new mistakes) for the first time.

Glad that worked out for you. hopefully this isn't something that bothers me forever.

As you gain more experience, you will have a better perspective on what is normal and what real trouble looks like. In my case, I have been flying the same Mooney for 22 years, I know all the sounds by now. :)

Gary

Long time lurker, first time poster. My apologies for hijacking the OP's thread; I'm having a case of the XC solo jitters myself, but in my case for some reason it's turbulence and not engine noise. I did my whole training without really worrying about it, until my last CFI-monitored XC flight when we got into some quite intense convective activity and I absolutely freaked out. Panicked. Don't know why. I've been scheduled to do my short XC twice since then, but I've cancelled both times because of panic attacks the night before. I'm ready to quit flight training even though I have over 50 hours invested. Anyone else have experienced anything similar, and how did you work it out (and no, I won't consider any pharmaceutical preparations, whether or not legal)?

Long time lurker, first time poster. My apologies for hijacking the OP's thread; I'm having a case of the XC solo jitters myself, but in my case for some reason it's turbulence and not engine noise. I did my whole training without really worrying about it, until my last CFI-monitored XC flight when we got into some quite intense convective activity and I absolutely freaked out. Panicked. Don't know why. I've been scheduled to do my short XC twice since then, but I've cancelled both times because of panic attacks the night before. I'm ready to quit flight training even though I have over 50 hours invested. Anyone else have experienced anything similar, and how did you work it out (and no, I won't consider any pharmaceutical preparations, whether or not legal)?

Suggest you start a new thread. I cannot offer any constructive advice except to say that I have no idea why you and your CFI were fooling around with convective activity.

Suggest you start a new thread. I cannot offer any constructive advice except to say that I have no idea why you and your CFI were fooling around with convective activity.

Sorry bad term I suppose...very turbulent air (not thunderstorms).

I am somewhat north of 400 hours, and my engine seems to sound differently at times. Never had a problem and maybe it is me being oversensitive to the noises in the plane, but I have convinced myself that there are many things that seem to affect the sounds of the cockpit. For example if the wind direction changes significantly or its speed changes I will notice different sound sensations. The fans that "cool" the cockpit will give different sounds depending on direction of flow, and strength of flow, and which ones are on and off. Then there is the obvious in terms of throttle settings, prop pitch, and mixture. If a change occurs that seems "different" to me I first check my settings(for throttle, mixture, and prop) and engine gauges. If all is well into the green and not at any extreme(which it has always been) and the settings are where they are supposed to be, then I will check in a flow from bottom to top and then to the left, rechecking everything. If everything is fine then I attribute it to me being overly sensitive, and continue flying.

Next time you fly, throttle back to slow flight, retard the throttle, and remove your (probably ANR) headphones.

As you glide along, note all the bizarre and spooky sounds that you've never heard before. The aft fuselage might make an oil-canning sound, and the wind noise will be totally wrong.

It's creepy. :D

Sorry bad term I suppose...very turbulent air (not thunderstorms).

Got it. Like I said, I cannot offer any advice regarding "absolutely freaked out - Panicked" as a pilot under any circumstances short of perhaps being trapped in a burning or sinking airplane. Sorry if that seems harsh. Still suggest a new thread so you can get maximum input. Hopefully, some of it more helpful than mine.

Last edited:
Next time you fly, throttle back to slow flight, retard the throttle, and remove your (probably ANR) headphones.

As you glide along, note all the bizarre and spooky sounds that you've never heard before. The aft fuselage might make an oil-canning sound, and the wind noise will be totally wrong.

No just plain old DC's non ANR. I actually have done the glide thing you describe, and it is bizarre, which was the point I was trying to make(though I guess not too successfully) that there are so many things that affect the noises I hear in the cabin that it is not unusual for them to change during a flight. I just got a new pair of sunglasses(they are with fairly significant frames as it has a little camera in the frame) and so my earpieces tend not to seal as well, and the difference is pretty amazing. I have a pair of ANR(lightspeed Zulu) but when I use them I do not use the ANR, as I prefer to hear the engine noises more than the ANR allows.

When I think I have experienced most of them I hear a "new" one that convinces me not.

Interesting. I keep forgetting us old farts used to hear all that stuff all the time, just muffled by our headclamps. ;)

i know what you are talking about I was fixated on the oil temp the whole time sent pics to my cfi and a friend and it still looks to me that its pretty close to red even when i look at today. and the whole time kept thinking of it failing. It was my first long cross country.. its scary.

Near the EVERS MOA south of EKN Elkins. I was saying 40nm as a general number. May have actually been more like 30-35ish to my closest airport which was my destination at LWB. i'll have to measure it up again if you want an exact figure.

I think you found one of the few holes:rofl:

i know what you are talking about I was fixated on the oil temp the whole time sent pics to my cfi and a friend and it still looks to me that its pretty close to red even when i look at today. and the whole time kept thinking of it failing. It was my first long cross country.. its scary.

The 172's I fly show an oil pressure just below the green every time the engine is warm. Shows green when cold. I was told this is normal by my CFI and Mechanic, but it also bothers me. Does this seem normal?

I think you found one of the few holes:rofl:

Yeah, for some dumb reason I thought it would be safer to flight plan away from airports. I was thinking this would mean less traffic and airport airspace to deal with and not get distracting. I think I am going to plan the opposite now and give myself some more options.

Interesting. I keep forgetting us old farts used to hear all that stuff all the time, just muffled by our headclamps. ;)

I know, right? My first pair of headphones cost $7 -- that's not a typo -- and didn't seal around the ears. (My CFI had built them out of parts from several different brands.)

Mary says that made me deaf, but only at the frequency range of her voice. :D

I am starting my sols xc's this week. I guess I am a bit nervous about the whole idea of it but I never put much thought into engine failure. I am glad I read this thread.

Thanks

Back