solo XC #1

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
FUN.

Other thoughts:

My intentions were to try not to use the GPS at all, but I ended up spot checking it regularly, at least on the first (longest) leg. I can't wait til I won't have to feel guilty for using a GPS.

Had a tough time picking out a few checkpoints, hence why I spent a decent amount of time Google earthing the trip. I found SIGNIFICANTLY better checkpoints that way, which weren't on the sectional, and were CLEARLY visible in flight. I can see doing the crosscheck on future flights.

Picked up flight following, CLT approach to Fayetteville app, no issues with radio calls at all.

All of my approaches were high, with the last one (with my CFI watching) being the worst.

2.2 on the Hobbs. Very nervous to start, calmed down on first contact with CLT approach, then just had a blast!!!

Awesome! I remember the longest leg on my 2nd solo XC (77nm), It sank in for me. That was the point when I felt like a pilot. that was when I felt like I was actually taking a trip in an airplane. Way to go brother! Keeper go'in!

If you can't resist the temptation to peek at the GPS, don't take it along.

It is never necessary.

Your last resort in case you get irretrieveably lost is to ask ATC (you do use radar flight following, right?).

You need to prove to yourself (if no one else) that you are capable of navigating an aircraft without some doodad just telling you the answer. Otherwise, the checkride -- or a dead battery or overheat -- is going to scare the hell out of you. Checkrides are nervewracking enough without that. Get yourself the confidence that you can get home from anywhere in the region by pilotage alone, and it sure is liberating.

I think Solo XC is where many students (including me) really understand the awesomeness that is GA flying. It's one of the first chances you put all of the puzzle pieces you've been given and practiced to work and your first chance to go somewhere.

Eman, it sounds like your learned quite a bit in spite of the fun you had! Keep up the good work!

I think Solo XC is where many students (including me) really understand the awesomeness that is GA flying. It's one of the first chances you put all of the puzzle pieces you've been given and practiced to work and your first chance to go somewhere.

Eman, it sounds like your learned quite a bit in spite of the fun you had! Keep up the good work!

oh no doubt, and I agree, I felt like a pilot today. I feel like I put everything I've learned to use today, and did most of it pretty well. I understand the points made above about the GPS, and maybe I underestimated my abilities, location, and flight planning and felt the need to peek. My instructor said he felt 100% confident that I could have made the entire trip with no gps. again, they were quick peeks just to confirm, I wasn't flying the magenta line.

But again, I agree, all the awesomeness came together today. This proved my ability to be a pilot (to me, anyways) and that's probably why I was so nervous beforehand.

EMan Good Work!!! I am right behind you I hope! Taking the instructor out this evening to show him some pilotage, and foggle action. Can't wait to solo XC!

Awesome! I remember the longest leg on my 2nd solo XC (77nm), It sank in for me. That was the point when I felt like a pilot. that was when I felt like I was actually taking a trip in an airplane. Way to go brother! Keeper go'in!

thanks bud!

great job. remember, there is nothing wrong with using a gps. but you do have to know how to do dead reckoning, pilotage, folllowing VOR's. i like having both. i have the 430 set on nav 1 and the raw VOR data set on nav 2.

The GPS is such an awesome tool it's tough not to use it.

Luckily, I had the discipline to leave it off for all my solo XCs. If it was on, I'm sure my eyeballs would have been glued to it. As it was, the VOR/DME started displaying random numbers and I turned that off so I wouldn't be distracted by it. So pyparus and directional gyro got it done on my long solo XC. There's something very satisfying about arriving at your destination using ded reckoning + pilotage.

FUN.

Other thoughts:

My intentions were to try not to use the GPS at all, but I ended up spot checking it regularly, at least on the first (longest) leg. I can't wait til I won't have to feel guilty for using a GPS.

Had a tough time picking out a few checkpoints, hence why I spent a decent amount of time Google earthing the trip. I found SIGNIFICANTLY better checkpoints that way, which weren't on the sectional, and were CLEARLY visible in flight. I can see doing the crosscheck on future flights.

Picked up flight following, CLT approach to Fayetteville app, no issues with radio calls at all.

All of my approaches were high, with the last one (with my CFI watching) being the worst.

2.2 on the Hobbs. Very nervous to start, calmed down on first contact with CLT approach, then just had a blast!!!

Thanks!

it's more of a large sidewalk :) but yeah lol, 8A6, 2835 x 40 ft

Now that's a runway for primary students! Definitely will teach you to hold centerline and achieve proper speed control on approach.

There is much to be said about training on a small runway.

The one I trained on was plenty wide (70 ft), but not all that long (2400 ft). It means I don't give a **** about landing on a 2000 foot runway (at least at sea level, and without large obstructions); I know I can do it, and take off again, without trouble.

Thanks!

it's more of a large sidewalk :) but yeah lol, 8A6, 2835 x 40 ft

Sheesh.. My airport runway would look like this to you. Narrowest I have landed so far is 75' I almost went for a 40 footer the other day for fun, but chickened out with a 10 kt crosswind. I'll tell you what though. I was out yesterday with 8 - G14 kt variable wind that was a direct crosswind on 3 landings, but as soon as I went to go around on the 4th it changed to a quartering tailwind and I had full aileron and rudder and was still pushed over about 30 ft before I got off the ground. I would have been in the ditch on a 40 ft runway.

longestrunways.jpg

I used foreflight on mine also it's good for keeping track confirming you did good work nav log and not bust airspace

Back