Solo Requirements for Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane?

Vance Breese

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Vance Breese
Sec. 61.313 — What aeronautical experience must I have to apply for a sport pilot certificate?

Use the following table to determine the aeronautical experience you must have to apply for a sport pilot certificate:
(d) Rotorcraft category and gyroplane class privileges:
(1) 20 hours of flight time, including 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor in a gyroplane and at least 5 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.311,

Several gyroplane CFIs and one gyroplane DPE have told me that solo time is not required for an add on to a private pilot single engine land.
I am not able to find something that clearly states solo time is not required.
I would love to have the reference that and would appreciate your help.
Thank you

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certif...ation/sport_pilot/media/proficiency_check.pdf

Look at section III - record of pilot time.

You are taking a proficiency check - not a practical test if this is an add on.

The logbook endorsement -
I certify that (First name, MI, Last name) has met the training and endorsement requirements of §§61.309 and 61.311. I have determined him/her proficient to act as PIC of (category and class) of light-sport aircraft in accordance with §61.321. Kirk Brinegar, 09-24-2005 Kirk Brinegar 610610CFI 04-2007

The references are 309 - 311 - and 321. No references at all to 313.

Again, you are not applying for a sport pilot certificate. You are seeking to obtain sport priveledges in a different category and class.

Thank you very much.

I see I was looking at the additional category and class privileges in an incorrect way.

Back