Solo flights idea

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
Ok, so after doing some X-countries, I need to get my solo time up, so tomorrow I plan on doing some solo time. Now I know that I can't do stalls and spins because of the dangers that I can't recover from the stalls/recovered. However I was considering doing some emergency procedure because I believe I need to brush up on it. I also think I should do some turn-around a point and S turn. What do you guys think, and what would you guys recommend?

Get a copy of the PTS, and practice ALL the maneuvers you might be required to do on the practical. If you still feel uncomfortable with stalls, do some more with your instructor.

I'd recommend discussing this with your instructor, who should be supervising all your solo flying (at least indirectly). The two of you should work out a game plan on what maneuvers and procedures to practice by yourself.

What Ron said. My CFI put initial limits after solo to pattern work and some ground reference manuevers, but turned me loose for stalls and such (with minimum beginning altitudes) after a few more sessions of dual.

Ditto. Your instructor should be guiding you here.

I vaguely remember my instructor signing me off for solos by discussing what, when, and where. Part of it included slow flight and stalls. Later, he even signed me off for solo flights to a class D airport.
If you haven't had the discussion with your instructor, you need it. If you're apprehensive about the parameters your instructor sets, work with him.
Put another way, you're in control. You need to find out what you can do and when.

How about a short solo x-country to make up the time? Navigating and getting used to talking on the radios is excellent experience. If you need practice on some maneuvers then I'd suggest practicing those (assuming they're not dual only maneuvers).

I'm not getting on the CFI's case, but why would you not be able to do Stalls? They are a very important skill to have (and not dangerous at all if done properly).

I'd bet your CFI actually does want you to do stalls when solo. Mine did.

Did your instructor put "no stall practice solo" as a limitation on your solo endorsement in your logbook? If he/she does not think you are safe to practice stalls, then you should have a written limitation which the instructor must endeavor to delete.

Look at the solo requirement experience in FAR 61.109(a) "...10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in 61.107(b)(1).

61.107(b)(1) (viii) says "slow flight and stalls".

FAA: "your student died because he stalled in the traffic pattern"
CFI: "well...uhhhhhhh"
FAA: "you did teach your student stall recovery and prevention right?"
CFI: "well yea...we went over it, he was OK but I told him not to practice solo"
FAA: "hmmmmmmmmm"

no thanks. Ill train my students well to be better than OK.

Nothing says you have to every stall to the break. I like to practice getting the stall horn screaming and see how close to the break I can get. It's amazing to feel the controls mush and simply reducing the AOA puts the authority right back.

I think practicing slow flight and steep turns teach us a great deal.

Last edited:
Fortunately, my instructor never put a "no spins" limitation on my solo privileges...of course, I never told him, either ;)

Fly safe!

David

What Ron said plus don't take No from your CFI. A lot of CFIs are skitterish about practicing stalls and spins even with their own students who they have a shared experience. Unintentionally, they pass that attitude on to generations of pilots.I know the PTS doesn't include spins, so don't bust my chops....

My CFI will not do spins with me...just the nature of the beast. Luckily I was able to train with a previous CFI and did some spin work.

If you are looking for time on your solo work...

See if your CFI will take you over to Bravo and Charlie airspace. My first long solo XC involved the following.

Take off from class D (KSDL) Snottsdale
Transition over class B (KPHX) Phoenix
down to class C (KTUS) Tucson (scared with me with all the radio freqs)
then back to KSDL

Total time 2.1

It was difficult at first but I feel a little safer knowing that I can get through Bravo and Charlie airspace. Also work with flight following to get that extra help you may need one day.

I hope to take my check ride in 3 weeks if I pass my written and finish my bloody hood work.

I've never been able to do spins, because my weight puts me out of the utility envelope on those planes I fly that are spin certified. :(

need to find a stearman or something grant :)

What I really need to do is drop 100#.:redface:

well there is always that. I had a friend near here who was in the same predicament you are in, but was going for his CFI and HAD to get spin training. He did end up going to St. Louis to an aerobatic school that had a Stearman and did spins in that. Had a blast and learned a lot along the way too.

For your solo work, there is no reg' that says you cannot just go up and do pretty much nothing. No practicing, etc., just burn avgas. However, you are gonna have a checkride coming at some point, and the best use of your flight time and dollars is gonna be to practice for that practical while soloing. I imagine all of us had that day or two when we'd just go up solo on a beautiful day, for the heck of it. We do it after we get the Private, too. But you really need to be working on your manuevers plus basic pilot skills [altitude and heading control, airspeed/power/etc. control] so that you demonstrate to the DE that you are ready to be turned loose with a new certificate in your pocket. Get with your CFI and come up with a program for solo work, you should have had this already. He or she will certainly know the areas you might want to concentrate on. Like Ron and the others said, the CFI should be overseeing this process. And if you find that there is some maneuver you aren't able to do very well [and you should know by now the parameters within which you must be able to complete each one on the exam], then discuss these with the CFI and either have another dual flight to go over them or figure out what to do yourself to fix them.

I imagine all of us had that day or two when we'd just go up solo on a beautiful day, for the heck of it. We do it after we get the Private, too.
Before getting the cert they call it a learning plateau, after getting the cert they call it a $100 hamburger.

Ok, so after doing some X-countries, I need to get my solo time up, so tomorrow I plan on doing some solo time. Now I know that I can't do stalls and spins because of the dangers that I can't recover from the stalls/recovered. However I was considering doing some emergency procedure because I believe I need to brush up on it. I also think I should do some turn-around a point and S turn. What do you guys think, and what would you guys recommend?

What others have already said. Also, it's a little disturbing that you "can't do stalls and spins because of the dangers that I can't recover." Stalls are basic and fundamental maneuvers which should be demonstrated with confidence and competence before solo IMHO. Spin awareness should also be practiced before solo.
I see far too many pilots who are way uncomfortable with stalls, slow flight, and flight at minimum controllable airspeed. These things should be second nature and easily performed by all with no fear or hesitation.
If you can't do stalls, you may find yourself actually doing real emergency procedures instead of practice ones. I suggest you go up with your CFI and do the stalls, slowflight until you are confident and competent to practice them on your own. Besides, how can you land if you can't do stalls.:D
Bill

Besides, how can you land if you can't do stalls.:D
Bill

flying it on 3 point, porpoising while the FBO rubs their hands together thinking "firewall...12,000 bucks...mmmmmm" or you could just do, as witnessed at gastons, flying it into ground effet 10 knots fast, floating to the last 1000 feet and missing the cars and old ladies by less than 100 feet.

sigh.

flying it on 3 point, porpoising while the FBO rubs their hands together thinking "firewall...12,000 bucks...mmmmmm" or you could just do, as witnessed at gastons, flying it into ground effet 10 knots fast, floating to the last 1000 feet and missing the cars and old ladies by less than 100 feet.

sigh.

Oh My! Well you have a point there. I guess I should have said "how can you land well if you can't do a stall.";)

amen bill. all i could think of was a bloody mess of a fly fishing lesson :eek:

not kidding Bill, I seriously thought there was going to be a real mess on our hands.

It was a 172 not associated with the PoA fly in. I think it was some guys coming in for lunch with the MO Pilots Association.

Whew. Thanks! What a social faux pax that'd be, to chop up a bunch of old folks in front of your friends...

you could just do, as witnessed at gastons, flying it into ground effet 10 knots fast, floating to the last 1000 feet and missing the cars and old ladies by less than 100 feet.
I missed that! When did that happen? What kind of plane was it?

I missed that! When did that happen? What kind of plane was it?

Same guy that decided it'd be ok to takeoff while Greg was short final....

Good guy. sigh.

edit: C172

Back