Solo finally

Karlinshiloh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Karlinshiloh
Well, after a 5 week delay due to a medical cert. problem and a 90* crosswind last weekend I was finally able to solo on saturday.
It was a gorgous morning with a 7 knot wind coming right down runway 23 at KONX. After a few touch and go's and a couple simulated soft field landings with the instructor, he had me back taxi to the end of 23. He gave me a few quick instructions on what he wanted to see such as atleast 3 TO's and landings. So off I go. I wasn't particularly nervous about this phase of my training. Me and my CFI have both felt I was ready for this atleast a month ago. The little 150 took to the sky exceptionally well as I heard that it would. No surprise there. Climbed into the pattern quickly. The extra time at pattern altitude actually gave me time to breath and take in exactly what I was doing and relax a tad before setup for the landing.
I went through the steps of my setup starting abeam of the numbers. On my first 2 landings I came in a little to fast and steep which caused me to float a fair distance down the runway. I guess I was a bit more nervous then I thought at first. On the third landing I slowed my self down and clicked the steps of the setup the way I was taught. When I got on the runway this time it felt like the gear touched right on the numbers where I was aiming.
I taxied back to pick up my CFI who had been standing next to the runway the whole time watching. He hand signaled to go around one more time. Twist my arm.:smilewinkgrin: Away I go for what I felt was another very acceptable take off and landing. When we got back to the terminal building my instructor told me the the first 2 landings wheren't so good which I knew. He told me he saw the 3rd was near perfect. He wanted to see if it was an accident or if I had gotten it sorted out, that's why he sent me around for the 4th shot at it.
I guess since he endorsed me for solo he thinks I can atleast get it back on the ground safely.
Karl

Congrats! Keep at it!

I'm glad ya got past that hurdle. Enjoy the rest of your training and pursuit of the goal.

Back