Solo Cross Country!

Aviatrix

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Aviatrix
I did my first solo XC yesterday to KPOU! Definitely more nerve wracking than soloing in the pattern or to practice areas, but I didn't get lost going there or back so felt good about that. I was exhausted afterwards, I can't imagine how exhausted I'll be after my long XC. Now prepping to do my written next week, and hopefully finish this thing up soon!

congratulations on the milestone! They are exhausting, glad it went well for you

Congrats! Just a little ahead of you, but I can definitely relate! Good luck on your written. Make sure you're comfortable with airspace questions, W&B, XC calculations for WCA, Variation, Deviation, ETA, ground speed, etc. Questions are generated at random, but I have to think there's a high probability that the above topics almost always present themselves in some fashion...

Congratulations!

I agree that the first solo XC was a much bigger deal than the first solo. FWIW, my long XC was far less stressful and exhausting than the first, even though it lasted for close to 3.5 hours.

Congratulations!

I agree that the first solo XC was a much bigger deal than the first solo. FWIW, my long XC was far less stressful and exhausting than the first, even though it lasted for close to 3.5 hours.

My long cross country was a little more stressful.. mainly because I should've gotten out for a bathroom break after my second landing. :D

Congrats on the accomplishment, Aviatrix! Hang in there -- it won't be long now to get that certificate.

Congrats! Just a little ahead of you, but I can definitely relate! Good luck on your written. Make sure you're comfortable with airspace questions, W&B, XC calculations for WCA, Variation, Deviation, ETA, ground speed, etc. Questions are generated at random, but I have to think there's a high probability that the above topics almost always present themselves in some fashion...

Not to mention the sneaky ADF questions.....

Not to mention the sneaky ADF questions.....

Yeah, and the written questions on the test are a lot harder than actually using the ADF.

Congrats, hope you went dead reckoning ,or at least vor nav. Once you get the ticket gps direct takes over.enjoy the true fun of flying it's always fun to look out the window and know where you are.

Congrats, hope you went dead reckoning ,or at least vor nav. Once you get the ticket gps direct takes over.enjoy the true fun of flying it's always fun to look out the window and know where you are.

I dunno about that GPS thing.

If the weather holds out (kinda doubtful), I'm flying to LA tomorrow based on pilotage/ded reckoning backed up by VOR nav.

There are still quite a lot of aircraft out there with no GPS. Shouldn't be a deal killer, even for a 300 mile flight.

I had the GPS as back up but I just went with dead reckoning and pilotage, the VOR was actually taken out of the plane to be fixed so luckily I didn't plan on using any VORs this time.

I just had my stupid piece of papyrus. :wink2:

I just had my stupid piece of papyrus. :wink2:

That is too funny (but only for those following the other thread on the horrible 'non-' checkride)

I suppose you have one of those ancient circular sliderules too.

Congrats on your solo xc.

Last edited:
I was exhausted afterwards, I can't imagine how exhausted I'll be after my long XC. Now prepping to do my written next week, and hopefully finish this thing up soon!

Congrats. They'll get easier with more experience. Don't hesitate to take short breaks on your long XC, that'll make it much easier.

The knowledge test should be a breeze, just be sure to get quite a few practice tests in and closely review the types of questions you're missing.

Nice job on the XC. Makes you feel like a real pilot now going to airports far away!

I've flown to KPOU myself once. Really is a perfect airport to fly into as a student or anyone really. Quite controlled airport with multiple runways and easy spotting from the air. Keep up the good work!

I did my first solo XC yesterday to KPOU! Definitely more nerve wracking than soloing in the pattern or to practice areas, but I didn't get lost going there or back so felt good about that. I was exhausted afterwards, I can't imagine how exhausted I'll be after my long XC. Now prepping to do my written next week, and hopefully finish this thing up soon!

congratulations on the milestone! They are exhausting, glad it went well for you

Relax! :yes: Flying cross country is fun! It's an adventure! Look forward to it! Become one with the journey! If you relax more, you won't be as exhausted!

Relax! :yes: Flying cross country is fun! It's an adventure! Look forward to it! Become one with the journey! If you relax more, you won't be as exhausted!

The primary lesson you learn on the short x-c is: "I can do this!"

Then you get to learn "I can do a longer x-c, too!"

Even if you f* up a bit, you can work it out and arrive safely. When "I can do this!" becomes ingrained, you won't be as exhausted on return. It is all part of the learning process.

And... while near POU, stop by at Sky Acres 44N. Uncontrolled beautiful airport with a great restaurant for lunch.

Congratulations, Pilot!

-Skip

Attachments

• Aerial Photo - Rwy 35 at Sky Acres.jpg
    Aerial Photo - Rwy 35 at Sky Acres.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 12
Congratulations! For me the short one was just to Oshkosh and back, about 62 miles each way. Not stressful at all.

The long one, for me, was pretty exhausting overall. Mainly because it was hot outside(90+ degrees) and there was an engine trouble scare on the second leg that completely screwed my brain up. I managed to finish it ok though.

As for the ADF - I was having a ton of trouble too. Then I memorized the formula, and it became easy.. Just work the math by plugging the numbers into the equation. So stupidly easy that I felt like I never should have had trouble with them.

Congrats on the solo XC... My Instructor wants me to take him on another XC just to be sure I can handle it on my own... seems a bit excessive but he will see I am ready when I unplug his headset and ask him to ride in the back (lol)!

I suppose you have one of those ancient circular sliderules too.

1c307c43c12fe9f6b8cdc8db6e95a864.jpg

I rocked it like Spock!

And... while near POU, stop by at Sky Acres 44N. Uncontrolled beautiful airport with a great restaurant for lunch.

My CFI wants to take me there, he says it's great too. I have yet to fly to an uncontrolled airport, so I think that's where we may go to do that.

Congrats on the solo XC... My Instructor wants me to take him on another XC just to be sure I can handle it on my own... seems a bit excessive but he will see I am ready when I unplug his headset and ask him to ride in the back (lol)!

I had two dual before this one. I thought we were going to do one more dual, I probably would have felt more comfortable doing that, but I think doing it at this point made me feel more confident about doing things by myself.

My written is scheduled for tomorrow!

Passed the written! Got a 90%, two ADF questions one I got right, one wrong. I also had an exam with 61 questions, I had seen all the questions except that last one which was weird. They do that just to test out questions and those aren't graded correct? When I was reviewing my wrong answers it wasn't on there.

Passed the written! Got a 90%, two ADF questions one I got right, one wrong. I also had an exam with 61 questions, I had seen all the questions except that last one which was weird. They do that just to test out questions and those aren't graded correct? When I was reviewing my wrong answers it wasn't on there.

:yes: Congrats!!!!!

Let me know when you are flying into Sky Acres (44N) I live <7 miles from there. I'll buy you breakfast or lunch or whatever. If you do it on Thursday morning it's even better. I always try to fly in from DXR for breakfast on Thursday.
FYI: The diner is only open Thursday through Sunday.

Glenn

Regarding ADF:

When you do your instrument rating, do yourself a favor if you can, and train on an ADF. It will be way less confusing when that's over. You may never need to do an ADF approach, but if you like learning things, take the opportunity now because NDBs are quietly going extinct in the US.

Back